UMass guard Derrick Gordon comes out as first openly gay male D-I basketball player

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From SI.com

Posted April 09, 2014

UMass guard Derrick Gordon comes out as first openly gay male D-I basketball player
Derrick Gordon, UMass
By David Gardner

UMass guard Derrick Gordon has come out as the first openly gay male college basketball player in D-I history. He told his teammates on April 2, a few days after telling his parents, according to a story by Kate Fagan of espnW.com.

Just before Gordon broke the news at a team meeting, UMass coach Derek Kellogg told his players, “We’re all here together, and we need to love each other for who we are,” he said. “One of your family members, your brother, wants to let you know something about himself.”

Gordon said that he drew inspiration from previous players who have come out as gay in other sports, such as NBA player Jason Collins and Michael Sam, a star football player at Missouri.

“It was a rough process, actually, leading up to this,” Gordon told ESPN. “Those guys just helped me get to where I am right now. If it wasn’t for them, I’d be stuck. For this to be happening right now, me coming out, it’s an indescribable feeling, honestly. I couldn’t be any happier. I feel like I can fly.”

Gordon, a starter for UMass last season, averaged 9.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game last season.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
good for him.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
HES DOING IT FOR MONEY

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Followed the link just to see if that really was her name. Then laughed hysterically. 

I'm going to hell. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%