NHL Executive Committee unanimously recommends Las Vegas

Senators26

Reaction score

The NHL’s Executive Committee voted unanimously to recommend expansion to Las Vegas, meaning the final hurdle for the franchise comes June 22 in the Nevada city.

The nine committee members met with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly last Tuesday in New York. Bettman and Daly have made it very clear they will not discuss the process until after next Wednesday’s Board of Governors meeting, to be held hours before the NHL Awards.

Bill Foley, owner of the potential Las Vegas team, did not respond to a request for comment.

The Board of Governors’ vote is necessary to approve expansion. It’s very difficult to see a refusal considering the Executive Committee’s approval and the massive downer it would bring to the awards show later that night.

The Black Knights, as they are expected to be called, are slotted for the Pacific Division and begin play in 2017-18.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-executive-committee-unanimously-recommends-las-vegas/
---

Black Knights is an awful name

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Ugh. Just move a failing franchise to Las Vegas. Save teams in revenue sharing.

That $500 million fee tho.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
So dumb. The league is already watered down. Gonna be dumb having an odd number of teams, there are a few teams they could have moved to save the league from further embarrassment. I like the risk they are taking, but don't see it paying off

Senators26

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
So dumb. The league is already watered down. Gonna be dumb having an odd number of teams, there are a few teams they could have moved to save the league from further embarrassment. I like the risk they are taking, but don't see it paying off
The way their conference format is set now they need two more teams. We are getting one now, and Quebec City will get a team whenever the Canadian economy/dollar picks back up

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Bettman doesn't want a team in Quebec. He's all about the American market.

Plus many are wondering if Quebec can get corporate dollars. Yeah they'd fill the arena, but corporate dollars are a huge deal.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Senators26 said:
The way their conference format is set now they need two more teams. We are getting one now, and Quebec City will get a team whenever the Canadian economy/dollar picks back up
I thought I read in the same press release as Vegas that Quebec was ruled out as an option. If they have to add another Seattle would be a cool option. Still don't like the idea of adding 2 new teams when there already multiple teams around the league struggling to attract fans

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Black Knights are coming! What a kick to the balls for QC. I was reading into the expansion draft rules and I'll say this, every team in the league is going to lose at least one play that gets significant ice time. 

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Yep. Washington for example has Carlson, Alzner, Niskanen, and Orlov. Can only protect 3.

Senators26

Reaction score
Was officially announced today. They should have a team name and jersey by the beginning of next season.

H-MYK

Reaction score
I'm not really big on the idea. I rather move teams whose respective cities aren't giving a crap about them first before expanding. The league has enough teams already. Also, I don't like the name Black Knights, too long. I'd rather have them called the Las Vegas Knights. Bandits or Vipers are much better names.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%