Darvish to Cubs

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I think the Dodgers took a step back losing Dervish. Outside of Kershaw, I don't see them having a dominant rotation.
They only had Darvish for two months and they were the best team in baseball (regular season) before they got him.

brett05

Reaction score
elcheato said:
I can't tell if you're going for the classic reverse jinx sarcasm here, because I live for that brand
Heck no, it hurts a ton to say nice things about the Cubs, but if I can only pick one, I am a baseball fan first.

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:

Aug 2017: "Inconsistency forces Rangers to rid themselves of star"

Sep 2017:  "Cubs insist Jon Lester is healthy and his recent problems are fixable"

Yesterday: "Cubs see Quintanta as trying to do too much"

-Headlines
Would love to have seasons like those three had on my team or any team for that matter.  Stop with the headlines would be my advice

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Would love to have seasons like those three had on my team or any team for that matter.  Stop with the headlines would be my advice

Its not rumor and innuendo, it's reality. Lester has always been more of a big game, playoff pitcher that anything else. A few Cubs starts aside, Quintana was pretty bad last season. Matter of fact, Quintana was inconsistent going back to the 2nd half of 2016. As for Darvish, he hasn't been the same since a season after TJ. Cubs are taking a big gamble on him considering how bad he was in the postseason.  

I'm not saying it all can't worth those three this year but it's a hefty bet. 

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:

Its not rumor and innuendo, it's reality. Lester has always been more of a big game, playoff pitcher that anything else. A few Cubs starts aside, Quintana was pretty bad last season. Matter of fact, Quintana was inconsistent going back to the 2nd half of 2016. As for Darvish, he hasn't been the same since a season after TJ. Cubs are taking a big gamble on him considering how bad he was in the postseason.  

I'm not saying it all can't worth those three this year but it's a hefty bet. 
A bet most would take over and over and over again.  For all the bad outings they were still right there with the top 20-25 pitchers in the game.  And again, that's not counting Hendricks.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:

I agree with he who disagrees. Not being a hater at all but I think the Cubs really missed the boat this offseason.  Holding onto Schwarber when there's an AL team willing to deal for him and then failing to strengthen the pen.  The Cubs most likely will win the division but that's assuming they get consistency from Lester, Darvish, and Quintana.  
Consistency or not, those are three top pitchers with Quintana probably being the weakest of the three. Don't tell me those three guys doesn't give you a top notch rotation.

I don't think any NL team can compare.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
They only had Darvish for two months and they were the best team in baseball (regular season) before they got him.
How did that work out? They only came out with 100 wins because of career years from certain players. They were a shoo in for the division from the start, but nothing more.

The whole postseason, oddly, was won by offense, not pitching, which was very unusual. Their rotation didn't win it for them.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
How did that work out? They only came out with 100 wins because of career years from certain players. They were a shoo in for the division from the start, but nothing more.

The whole postseason, oddly, was won by offense, not pitching, which was very unusual. Their rotation didn't win it for them.
Why were they a shoo-in for the division? That division also produced both wild card teams in the NL. The central was a worse division and the cubs finished with a far worse record. I definitely think both teams have their holes but if I had to pick one of the two teams to win the World Series, Id take the dodgers.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Why were they a shoo-in for the division? That division also produced both wild card teams in the NL. The central was a worse division and the cubs finished with a far worse record. I definitely think both teams have their holes but if I had to pick one of the two teams to win the World Series, Id take the dodgers.
Maybe I worded it wrong.  What I was trying to say is that they were the best team in the division, no doubt.  I just don't think they're the best team in the NL.  Justin Turner played way over his head, and right now Rich Hill is the #2 pitcher, a guy who can't even stay healthy for a whole season.  That's scary.

I'd hands down pick the Cubs.  They underperformed last year big time, unlike the Dodgers who overperformed.

2017 was a weird year.  Offense won the World Series and the whole postseason and teams were either feast or famine, few were in between.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Did the cubs underachieve last year or overachieve in 2016?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dodgers are still the team to beat in the NL. It was already said last postseason was won by offense and I don't see that changing this year. LA has arguably the best SP and the best closer in the game. They also have way more offense scattered around the diamond, unlike the Cubs, who will again struggle to generate offense outside of Bryzzo. 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I think the Dodgers took a step back losing Dervish. Outside of Kershaw, I don't see them having a dominant rotation.
lmao here you go again doubting like last year

Dominant rotations are done

Its all about depth now. Didnt we show you last year? We wrote the book

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Maybe I worded it wrong.  What I was trying to say is that they were the best team in the division, no doubt.  I just don't think they're the best team in the NL.  Justin Turner played way over his head, and right now Rich Hill is the #2 pitcher, a guy who can't even stay healthy for a whole season.  That's scary.

I'd hands down pick the Cubs.  They underperformed last year big time, unlike the Dodgers who overperformed.

2017 was a weird year.  Offense won the World Series and the whole postseason and teams were either feast or famine, few were in between.
im so triggered right now

How many consecutive years of being great at baseball does turner have to be for you to believe? I guess 4 years isn't enough

And keeo doubting rich hill. I thought you learned your lesson from last year

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not to mention Maddon will continue to overmanage games and make bizarre double switches that see no pay off.

Cloud 9

Reverse the curse
Reaction score
Lot of egregiously bad takes in here ... yikes

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Egregious as in, “The Cubs bullpen was egregious in 2017”, or is it more like, “The Cubs offense was egregious in 2017”. Or perhaps it’s more like, “Joe Maddon made some egregiously bad calls last season”.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Hell I can still remember Maddon making bad decisions in the 2016 playoffs. People just forgive it because they won.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cubs didnt do much. They just replaced guys who left

Morrow for wade davis
Darvish for jake
Chatwood for lackey

Meh. Theyre lucky they even made the playoffs. Milwaukee got cold after the all star break. I have milwaukee ahead of Chicago this year

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
im so triggered right now

How many consecutive years of being great at baseball does turner have to be for you to believe? I guess 4 years isn't enough

And keeo doubting rich hill. I thought you learned your lesson from last year
Rich Hill is pretty nasty, for 100 innings. He can't stay in the field long enough. And Kershaw may be the best starter, but outside of him, there's no clear #2.

Justin Turner is not going to hit .330 again with a .400 OBP. It's not happening.

I'd rather take a proven three consistent starters over an unknowable depth you claim the starters are for the Dodgers.

And where does this big offense come from outside of Bellinger, Seager, and Turner? I fully expect Turner to decline from last year, even if he hits .290 it's a step down.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Cubs didnt do much. They just replaced guys who left

Morrow for wade davis
Darvish for jake
Chatwood for lackey

Meh. Theyre lucky they even made the playoffs. Milwaukee got cold after the all star break. I have milwaukee ahead of Chicago this year
Lester / Darvish / Quintana is sick and that doesn't even include Hendricks.

It baffles me how people can't see this. I think their rotation is even better.

And their offense underperformed last year.

I doubt offense wins series this year. It happened last year, but I fully expect pitching to guide the game this year.

Brewers have no chance at beating the Cubs for the division. They had no chance last year, the Cubs just had a bad start.

Dominant rotations are not done... It just so happens they were ineffective last year and few came out of the NL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%