Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
This. Trust me, as a DH he's in better hands of not getting hurt. Is he the only reason you hold back on the Yanks?
Are you asking me? Im not the one whos saying hes injury prone. But I hold back on the Yankees because they overachieved next year and those teams tend to regress to the mean a lot. Could they win 100 games? Sure. But I also wouldnt be surprised if they didnt even make the playoffs. I picked them to win the division, though.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:

Fair enough but two of his biggest injuries occured in the batter's box (face and wrist)...he has averaged 117 games the last 3 years and played in more than 150 only twice. He needs another year like last year and maybe even another to ditch the injury-prone label. He has been the Tulo of this newest generation
Tulo is just a joke these days.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tulo = D-Rose

CoachAF

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Hes injury prone for getting hit by a pitch in the face?

the injuries happened though. batter's position in the box can lead to more HBP. freak injuries or not, he has played 145 or more games only 3 times in his 7 full years as a pro. hamstrings get pulled running the bases just as often as they do in the field. you can hurt your wrist getting hit by a pitch as well as running into a wall making a catch. No matter where you play, injuries happen. So just because he will primarily DH doesn't mean he is immune to being injured. Less likely? Maybe. I guess we will see this year.

I wish him nothing but the best. I want him to stay healthy because he is fun to watch. I hope he has a monster year. His history however suggests that he will have at least one, if not multiple DL stints. I won't believe otherwise until he puts together another one or 2 healthy seasons (i define that as 150+ games played)

CoachAF

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Tulo is just a joke these days.

I saw yesterday he was sent to the 60-day DL. It's sad because of how great he was while he was in Colorado. His body just couldn't meet the demands of a 162 game season. 

CoachAF

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
This. Trust me, as a DH he's in better hands of not getting hurt. Is he the only reason you hold back on the Yanks?

People would be wise to hold back before crowning the Yanks. ESPN and MLB.com will because they love the ratings and the money that the Yanks bring in for them. We saw Severino come out yesterday and he looked strong. They have a solid rotation, but each guy has their warts (save Severino). What happens when those guys go down? Chad Greene is the first man in? I think a lack of depth at SP is problematic, and it would be a miracle if Gray/Tanaka stay healthy this season. So that could come back to bite them. Are they going to be willing to split with their prospects to acquire someone this Summer? They weren't this off-season. 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Are you asking me? Im not the one whos saying hes injury prone. But I hold back on the Yankees because they overachieved next year and those teams tend to regress to the mean a lot. Could they win 100 games? Sure. But I also wouldnt be surprised if they didnt even make the playoffs. I picked them to win the division, though.
No, I'm agreeing with your statement that he isn't exactly injury prone in the same way as Tulo.

And the fact that he will spend most of his time in the DH position.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:

the injuries happened though. batter's position in the box can lead to more HBP. freak injuries or not, he has played 145 or more games only 3 times in his 7 full years as a pro. hamstrings get pulled running the bases just as often as they do in the field. you can hurt your wrist getting hit by a pitch as well as running into a wall making a catch. No matter where you play, injuries happen. So just because he will primarily DH doesn't mean he is immune to being injured. Less likely? Maybe. I guess we will see this year.

I wish him nothing but the best. I want him to stay healthy because he is fun to watch. I hope he has a monster year. His history however suggests that he will have at least one, if not multiple DL stints. I won't believe otherwise until he puts together another one or 2 healthy seasons (i define that as 150+ games played)
Fair enough.  The only reason he gets hit in the batter's box (in my honest opinion) is because pitchers throw at him.  He's that good.  It's not just an injury that comes out of nowhere.

As for the Yankees, I disagree.  They are absolutely the team to beat.  They took the Astros to game 7 of the ALCS without Giancarlo Stanton last year.  Do I think Aaron Judge will regress?  Yes.  Do I think Giancarlo Stanton will hit 59 homeruns again?  No, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does.  Can I see the Yankees losing the AL East?  Certainly, but I'm doubtful that they will lose it.  They are just too good.  Even if the rotation doesn't pan out, they will win games by the homeruns.  Even if Stanton and Judge each hit 40 bombs and no more, they are in good shape.  They have everything going for them.  Team chemistry, charisma, young talent.  I think you're looking at one of the Yankee teams of the ages.

Don't get me wrong, the Red Sox are solid, and I think having Cora will win us more games, but they don't have all the pieces of the puzzle that the Yankees do.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Its as though Astros players are immune to the DL

CoachAF

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Its as though Astros players are immune to the DL
this conversation wasnt about the Astros. It was about Stanton. Can you read?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:
this conversation wasnt about the Astros. It was about Stanton. Can you read?
Well, I will say this.  I think the Astros are up there with the Yankees and Indians, I just think the Yankees have more chemistry and the ability to win games by homeruns.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Tigers have apparently inherited the devil magic from Gardenhire's Twins teams, so that's fun.

CoachAF

Reaction score
Teagz said:
The Tigers have apparently inherited the devil magic from Gardenhire's Twins teams, so that's fun.

The only manager I have seen do more with an inferior roster is Buck Showalter. 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
David Price looking great. Nunez is probably the luckiest batter I know, but it helps with his speed and I will take it.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A take: the matte batting helmets are played out.

CoachAF

Reaction score
Teagz said:
A take: the matte batting helmets are played out.
For some teams I like them and others I dont. The dodgers ones look nice

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Even-Year Giants are back.

Mudge

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
David Price looking great. Nunez is probably the luckiest batter I know, but it helps with his speed and I will take it.

While both Sale and Price looked good, keep in mind, it's the Rays.

Meanwhile, Bogaerts is 5 for 8 (.625); all other Red Sox batters so far are 10 for 57 (.175).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%