Girardi will not return, according to sources

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
Trading for Stanton is a classic Dombrowski move. I'd bet on that deal going down.
I don’t think the Red Sox have the pieces... unless the Marlins just want to dump the contract and are willing to take an average package of prospects in return.

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:
TBD. Cora hasn't managed a game yet so its not a fair assumption. 

Yes it is fair.  That's like saying Babe, MJ, Wayne, Walter aren't better than me because I have not played yet.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Yes it is fair.  That's like saying Babe, MJ, Wayne, Walter aren't better than me because I have not played yet.
And unlike Cora, you don’t have the opportunity. So what’s your excuse if you end up being wrong?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
I dont think the Red Sox have the pieces... unless the Marlins just want to dump the contract and are willing to take an average package of prospects in return.
Marlins will have to lower the asking price to get anything in return... I think many teams could make it work if they are willing to part ways with the pieces.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Marlins will have to lower the asking price to get anything in return... I think many teams could make it work if they are willing to part ways with the pieces.
Depends on what they’re willing to eat. I see the Giants being pegged as front runners but they’ve got even less to offer than the Sox do in trade.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
stanton for jbj but we take all of stantons contract

thats fair imo. obv jackie isnt that valued considering but whos gonna take on that full on contract?

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Idek what a potential package would look like

JBJ, Groome+

for

Stanton, with X dollars paid by the Marlins?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
marlins would be dumb to take a deal where they pay for stanton in any capacity and dont end up with benny or mookie

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Depends what you can get elsewhere. If you can't get much from the Giants, do you not trade him or get what you can?

Don't think Red Sox make the move, but Benny is more likely to go than Mookie.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No way in hell does Jeter give up Stanton for JBJ straight. Barring any additional trades involving Yelich and Ozuna, the Marlins don't have a need for outfield. And while his contract is very expensive, it's black-loaded AF and might even be considered a slight bargain after the 2018 offseason. 

Giancarlo is still home run machine and less injury prone if he's only required to DH. 

I think a big league player and a trio of B-rate prospects will get it done.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Depends what you can get elsewhere. If you can't get much from the Giants, do you not trade him or get what you can?

Red Sox won't trade either but if they did, Mookie goes before Benny.  I understand Mookie is a fan fav but Benny is already the better hitter and his career just started. He's probably the better fielder too.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
stanton for jbj but we take all of stantons contract

thats fair imo. obv jackie isnt that valued considering but whos gonna take on that full on contract?
I had a good laugh. Thanks.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
AE. said:
Red Sox won't trade either but if they did, Mookie goes before Benny.  I understand Mookie is a fan fav but Benny is already the better hitter and his career just started. He's probably the better fielder too.

Mookie is the best defensive right fielder in baseball and one of the top outfielder defenders behind maybe Buxton and Kiermaier.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:

Mookie is the best defensive right fielder in baseball and one of the top outfielder defenders behind maybe Buxton and Kiermaier.

That he might be but if JBJ moves, it's Benny who takes over in CF. I don't care who you are, your best outfielder in MLB is in CF. The only thing JBJ has over Mookie and Benny right now is he can throw 115 mph seeds to the plate.  

Teams will also take offensive production over defensive all day long.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
I had a good laugh. Thanks.
Im just saying, you DO realize how horrendous his contract is, right?

thats all guaranteed money except for 2028. He could get a significant injury next season and never be the close to the same youre still stuck paying him $300M over the next twelve seasons.

Id honestly be shocked if the team that acquires him pays more than 60% of his contract within the trade. Id push for 40%, but wouldnt go higher than 60% if im giving up good talent as well. Thats why I suggested JBJ and eating the whole contract. You get Bradley for one season, and get his compensation pick when he leaves a year after, and you get free of $300M (which looked to me like the Marlins #1 objective as the new ownership, to shed a ton of money)

Youre out of your mind if you thought I meant JBJ = Stanton. Jackies just a solid one year replacement player, with the voided contract being the #1 trade asset

btw in case its not obvious i dont want stanton in boston (at that salary)

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Miggy Cabrera hit .249, 16 HR, and 60 RBI this past season, after hitting .316, 38 HR, and 108 RBI the year prior. Nobody had questions about giving him $248M just a year or two ago, and now there is nothing more Detroit would love to do than get rid of his contract

I dont want to be that team that pays Stanton that much money

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:
And unlike Cora, you don’t have the opportunity. So what’s your excuse if you end up being wrong?
Excuse?  you misspelled reason.  The reason I would have IF it happens is the unknown of a rookie manager vs an all time manager is always  >>>>....>>>

Nothing wrong with rooting for Cora.  But a boat was missed and that doesn't mean there is blame there, it's just factual.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:

I can part with Benintendi. Honestly, he was just good, never great this past year. He wasn't an Aaron Judge, that's for sure. But Stanton is legit.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Miggy Cabrera hit .249, 16 HR, and 60 RBI this past season, after hitting .316, 38 HR, and 108 RBI the year prior. Nobody had questions about giving him $248M just a year or two ago, and now there is nothing more Detroit would love to do than get rid of his contract

I dont want to be that team that pays Stanton that much money
Miggy is also fat and can't run. Stanton is way more athletic.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's also 34 and played with a herniated disc all year, and his wife divorced him the day before the season started, and he's paying off cartels in Venezuela to keep his family safe.

Safe to say it was a bad year for him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%