What does Detroit do this Off-Season?

catman

Reaction score
They have announced that Brad Ausmus will not be back as their manager and they have a lot of expensive, older players on their roster.  What should they do this winter?  

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Trade Miguel Cabrera to a naive new executive looking to make a splash, such as Derek Jeter

catman

Reaction score
I thought Jeter's group had won the bidding to buy the Marlins.  That would be quite uncomfortable.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it "his" group. He owns a very small portion of the team, he's going to run baseball opps though with zero prior experience though, so yea, hence the reason for my post.

If I were the Tigers, I'd be unloading anyway possible. Try to get out of Miguel Cabrera's contract. Obviously would have had better luck if they didn't wait for him to break down this year. 

I think it's just Cabrera & Zimmerman now that are on the books for an extended period, they need to get rid of both of them.

catman

Reaction score
Agreed.  They should try to shed some salary and get a lot younger.  It'll take a while, but they can get back into contention.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think they care about paying Miggy's contract, even if he's terrible, and any team that would take that contract is unbelievably dumb. Zimmermann's pretty much unmovable too, he's got a NTC and he's the worst starter out of everybody who's qualified to be a league leader. Victor's still due 18M next year but he might retire (I think they still have to pay him if he does but I'm not sure). The only real moves they have left to make are to trade Kinsler for some low ranking prospect, and see if they can move Iglesias before he hits free agency next winter.

For the manager they'll probably bring in some former Tiger who's a fan favorite and let him take the losses during the rebuild, like they did with Trammell during the early 2000's. If not that, then it's gonna be some retread who already has a reputation of being terrible. No legit manager prospects are gonna want that job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%