Suns/Grizz engaged in trade talks for Rudy Gay

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns are engaged in trade talks centered on forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
The Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, and found an interested trade partner with the Suns, sources said.

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.

In an effort to avoid paying luxury tax in the short term, as well as get off the $17.8 million and $19.3 million owed Gay in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, new Memphis management has aggressively shopped Gay. The Grizzlies have made proposals on Gay to several teams, front-office sources told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo....dGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
not enough basketballs for the duo theyd have(assuming beas stays)

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Gay could probably go for 25 a game for PHX but it would take him 22 shots to get there.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dudley and a 1st in the package. Seriously? Lol.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rudy Gay is overrated and Jared Dudley is underrated so it's not that bad, plus a Phoenix first rounder has some value.

But Gay's contract is so ridiculously large it would take another player or two. This could do:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bxvbsoa

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Gay might be overrated, but he is worth more than a package deal based around Dudley and a 1st.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And what would "more" be? Because he certaintly isn't worth "equal" value.

In all honesty, I think it would be a fine deal. Dudley would be a great fit with his excellent midrange game and he would help space the floor and knock down open threes. (something they really don't currently have). Only one team makes less threes a game than Memphis, and adding Dudley who can knock down the three to the inside presences of Randolph and Gasol would be an excellent addition. Then of course he's a much better defender than Gay, which is how Memphis wants to play. Throw in another player (Kendall Marshall?) and a first rounder it's a fine deal for Gay.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to your deal. Yours is cool, but what I'm saying is he is better than a deal surrounded around Dudley.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Oh I got ya. It's going to be a big deal either way, he's making nearly 16.5 this year and PHX has to send out 10M in salary at the least. And even if they do get to that number who's to say Memphis won't think the return still isn't enough? Dudley's only worth 4M so another 6M has to come from somewhere.

Honestly I think Memphis would be smart to get this done, not only would they be saving tons of money. They would save 11-13M this season alone. Honestly Memphis has been linked to JJ Redick as well, what if they could swing a deal for both Dudley and Redick (or atleast sign Redick in the offseason with the cap they saved by trading Gay)? That's a no brainer and makes them a better team.

Maybe something like Dudley and Redick to Memphis, Gay to Phoenix, then the expirings of Wesley Johnson and Sebastian Telfair plus maybe the Lakers first? Heck maybe Phoenix is so set on getting the deal done they move Marshall instead of Telfair? I don't know, something like that.

The way I see it though, Gay plays with two very strong frontcourt players plus a good PG but still takes a high volume of poor shots and shoots a low percentage. He hinders and offense.

LakeShow

Reaction score
gay on the suns would be a good fit for them considering the style they play, a up and down tempo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%