BCS Playoff system details still up in the air

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's almost certain a 4-team BCS playoff system will soon be in place to determine the National Champion; however, several details are still being hammered out. According to a recent Yahoo! Sports article, everything from where the games will be played to exactly how the 4 teams will be chosen remain at issue.

I commend college football for finally opening the door to change but so I remain convinced that no matter how these playoffs go, there will always be controversy; always small-schools and their fans bitching. People need to face reality that there's no way in hell it's reasonable to expect a "March Madness" type of tournament on the gridiron...so 4 teams, 3 games is about right. With that said, how the hell will these 4 teams be chosen? If it's rankings then there will always be the gripe about the rankings...and if it's via selection committee then we can expect much of the same criticism. Another major issue is how this all plays into the current bowls already in place. Will 2 of the current 4 BCS Bowls host the semi-final games and then the BCS Title Game is obviously the Final game? And if so, which of the 4 bowls games gets those semifinals games? Would this render the non-chosen 2 BCS bowls worthless?

I really wish more fans were hip to these issues and realized just how much of a mess implementing such a system is. You'll get your playoff but we'll never get what College Basketball has and never, ever, ever will we NOT have griping about schedule strength, small conference schools, and the rankings system.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's a gripe about the last 4 in, in College Basketball and they have about 900 teams in the tourney so it's just something they have to live with, not a huge issue.

You could argue that every bowl right now aside from the Championship game is worthless, so it doesn't change much, other than giving 2 more teams a shot to play in the title game.

4 teams is a nice start. I would eventually like to see 8 teams. Use the 4 BCS Bowl names as quarterfinals, normal semi finals without any sponsor names (although I'm sure they would just add 2 more BCS Bowls for the extra revenue), and then have your finals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%