The EPL 2010/2011 Thread

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
So, let's get this going. Predictions, favourties, big transfers, discuss it all here.

May as well kick this off with this injury update.

Torres injury confirmed

Scans have revealed Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has suffered a thigh injury.

Torres pulled up in the dying moments of Spain's World Cup final victory over Netherlands and, following a scan at the Cemtro de Madrid Clinic on Tuesday, the Spanish football federation has now confirmed there is evidence of "a grade one muscle fibre rupture in the left thigh".

'Grade one' indicates the injury is the least severe rupture, but it is understood there is little prospect of Torres returning to action before the new season gets underway.

Boss Roy Hodgson, meanwhile, is taking encouragement from the image of Torres wearing a Liverpool scarf after the World Cup victory.

"As Liverpool manager, I take great pride in the fact that two of our players can call themselves World Cup winners this summer," he said.

"Unfortunately, one team had to lose that final and, while my commiserations go out to the Dutch lads, I have to say congratulations to Fernando and Pepe (Reina). Winning the World Cup is the ultimate honour any player can have in international football and you could see what it meant to both players as soon as the celebrations started.

"I think it's safe to say the pictures of Fernando in the dressing room with the World Cup certainly went down well with our fans but the club can be proud of all the players who went away to the World Cup.

"To have four players reach the final is an incredible achievement and I look forward to working with them when they return to Melwood after their holidays."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=808635&sec=england&cc=3436
Ouch.

He's a bit crocked isn't he? And to think they want 50 million pounds for him....can't even manage 10 minutes on the pitch!

Oiler35

Reaction score
It really does suck how he's been injured for nearly a year now, and once he finally gets over his injury, he gets ###### up again. Ridiculous.

Mooche

Reaction score
It really does suck how he's been injured for nearly a year now, and once he finally gets over his injury, he gets ###### up again. Ridiculous.
Exactly. I feel bad for the guy, and some people at the place I was watching the game thought he was faking. <__<

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Yea, I wish him the best of luck. He's a great soccer player and if he was healthy wouldve done great at the World Cup. He's one of my favorite players in soccer too.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
I would put a lot of the blame for his injuries on Rafael Benitez, Liverpool's ex-manager. Benitez's squads were so dependent on Torres for goals, he'd always be rushed back, and as a result I think some serious damage has been done. The guys is 23 or 24. He should never be getting as injured as frequently as he is. He should be hitting his prime fitness.

This is going to hurt Liverpool a lot. They have signed a Serb striker, whose name escapes me. Hopefully for them, he provides some decent cover. They are way to thin up front, it's little surprise they finished 5th last year.

Mooche

Reaction score
I would put a lot of the blame for his injuries on Rafael Benitez, Liverpool's ex-manager. Benitez's squads were so dependent on Torres for goals, he'd always be rushed back, and as a result I think some serious damage has been done. The guys is 23 or 24. He should never be getting as injured as frequently as he is. He should be hitting his prime fitness.

This is going to hurt Liverpool a lot. They have signed a Serb striker, whose name escapes me. Hopefully for them, he provides some decent cover. They are way to thin up front, it's little surprise they finished 5th last year.
I never really thought about that. You sound spot on - that easily could have happened to Torres through his time with Liverpool. If he is damaged goods now, it really sucks for them and Spain. He is absolutely amazing when he is on his game.

mg - Being a United fan, what are your thoughts of Federico Macheda? I am interested in just hearing.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
I love the lad. I watched him in the reserves in 08/09, and I'll never forget I watched him play in two consecutive games. The latter was against Newcastle and he scored an amazing hat trick, and low and behold the next week he was on the bench for the seniors when we played Villa at home. Ronaldo put us 1-0 up, but we fell behind 2-1 and with about 10-15 minutes to go Sir Alex called up Kiko and threw him on, and I said to my mate, "He's gonna equalize for us here, I can feel it."<br>
<br>
I was wrong though...it was Ronaldo who equalized, and I was ready to accept the draw until the 92nd minute, where Kiko scored the goal of United's season, easily. There is not one single HQ video of the event on YouTube without some spastic <Censored>ing techno tune, so I'll post one when I upload one myself.<br>
<br>
Anyway, I can't talk about Macheda without mentioning that, but I have a very high opinion of him. There has been talk about a deal for Ballotelli that would see us pay a few million quid plus Macheda for Balotelli, and as good as Ballotelli is, I don't want it to happen. Not because I think Macheda is as good, or has more potential than Super Mario, but because Macheda has the perfect attitude, and he has no issues with slowly establishing himself in the team.<br>
<br>
Last season he was hampered by injuries a bit, but this season, he's another year older, has proven he can score against the best teams (he scored against Chelsea last season), and looks an intelligent little player. The only issue is that United are blessed with a lot of experiences striking options. We have Rooney, Berbatov and Owen as our experiences forwards and behind them we now have Chicharito as well, who looked very good at the World Cup.<br>
<br>
I hope we find a way to keep him in the side, but I fear we may have another Forlan or Rossi on our hands. His saving grace at the moment is that Berbatov will be 30 this year, and Owen is over 30 as well, so we could be in a situation in 2 years or so where he will be needed a lot more frequently. I like him a lot, I think he has a lot of potential though.<br>
<br>
I would hope he gets enough time in the first team at United against lesser teams to show us what he is really capable of. Fergie has faith in him, so that's a big, big bonus.<br>
<br>
Sorry for the long winded post lol<br>
<br>
EDIT:<br>
<br>
<object width="480" height="276"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x9wkkd_federico-macheda-first-goal-with-ma_sport"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x9wkkd_federico-macheda-first-goal-with-ma_sport" width="480" height="276" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br>
<br>
'Cause <Censored> sounds cooler in Portuguese. Man I love this goal. I ripped my jersey off and ran around the house like a mad man hahahaha

Mooche

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that post. Actually helped a lot and it was good to get a close look from a Man United fan. As an Italian fan, I just can't wait for this guy to progress, same with Super Mario. (As you can see in my sig) I've been doing a lot of research and I have come to see that really... I don't know how much of it is his fault. I mean, sure we see he does have an attitude and is cocky, but a lot of young players in the society today, do have an attitude. Unfortunately, that is just the way it is, right or wrong. Also, the names such as "monkey" being tossed at him by hostile Italian crowds are just more reason to act the way he does. Whether it is scoring the goal and sticking his tongue out at the crowd or just being flat weird and outlandish in his celebrations. I think he gets a lot of bad publicity, some of it is obviously deserved but some of it isn't in my opinion. I know I will get a lot of hate for this post, but. Hah.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
I always try and make time for players like him. I think he's an amazing talent. The racist chants obviously have an effect, and personally I think it is despicable that one's own fans could say such things about their own player. Although Inter fans might express their frustrations with him in the wrong way, I think they have a valid reason to be annoyed. Balotelli always seems as though he is out to serve himself only. He doesn't get a long with team mates, and he constantly moans when he isn't selected. Add to that the way he threw his shirt onto the ground after one of Inter's CL games, it's easy to see why he isn't a fan favourite.

If he didn't have an attitude problem, I'd be happy to see United offload players to make room for him. On talent alone he will be one of the best. I think the best thing for him would be to move from Inter and try and get a fresh start, but I'd hate for United to lose Macheda for Balotelli only to find out that he doesn't have the right attitude to play for us.

It does seem our interest is genuine, however, Inter don't want to sell him:

Inter - Balotelli not for sale

Mario Balotelli is 'priceless' and Maicon is also not for sale, according to Inter Milan sporting director Marco Branca.

Balotelli, 19, who frequently clashed with former boss Jose Mourinho during Inter's triumphant campaign last season, is reportedly being tracked by Manchester United and Manchester City.

Brazilian Maicon is understood to be a target of Mourinho, who is keen for the right-back to join him at Real Madrid.

But Branca insists neither player is on the market and that both will remain at the San Siro.
Priceless

"We are in a very privileged position having won so much and it's true that every day we are receiving calls because everyone wants at least six or seven of our champions," said Branca.

"Maicon and Balotelli? Balotelli is priceless. At this time, he and Maicon are not on the market.

"When and if there are requests we will kindly examine them but they are not on the market.

"The interest in Balotelli from both Manchester clubs is real and very strong, but has not reached an official offer.

"There will be no meeting with City on Thursday."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_6260860,00.html

Mooche

Reaction score
I always try and make time for players like him. I think he's an amazing talent. The racist chants obviously have an effect, and personally I think it is despicable that one's own fans could say such things about their own player. Although Inter fans might express their frustrations with him in the wrong way, I think they have a valid reason to be annoyed. Balotelli always seems as though he is out to serve himself only. He doesn't get a long with team mates, and he constantly moans when he isn't selected. Add to that the way he threw his shirt onto the ground after one of Inter's CL games, it's easy to see why he isn't a fan favourite.

If he didn't have an attitude problem, I'd be happy to see United offload players to make room for him. On talent alone he will be one of the best. I think the best thing for him would be to move from Inter and try and get a fresh start, but I'd hate for United to lose Macheda for Balotelli only to find out that he doesn't have the right attitude to play for us.

It does seem our interest is genuine, however, Inter don't want to sell him:

Yeah. I completely understand. Being in his situation, I would not want to play in Italy with all that racism and trash. But hey, he said he loves this country and really, it is his country. The most ironic thing is, I believe in this kid, and I believe that all of those fans calling him those awful names are the ones who are going to be cheering the loudest when he blows up on the international stage.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
He'll be a star, no doubt. Whether or not it's at Inter though, is the big issue.

In other news:

New City boy Silva targets Champions League

Manchester City have completed the signing of Spain midfielder David Silva, after he passed a medical at Eastlands.

Silva joins City from Valencia for around £25 million after winning the World Cup with Spain in South Africa and already has his eyes set on the new season with his new club.

"I'm very happy with what we did this summer - it's the best time that any player can have,'' he told the club's official website. "I am looking forward to starting the season with my new team, I'm excited about my new team. And I will be happy if at the end we are in the Champions League - or if we win a trophy.''

Silva still has yet to nail down a starting spot for Spain, but maintains that his focus is on domestic duties for the time being.

"Roberto Mancini and Garry Cook have told me we are building a very good team with some of the best players in the world and we are going to fight for honours," he said. "My first target is to get into the team, and then to fight for the league and the other competitions.

''It's true that the English League is faster than in Spain. La Liga is more tactical - we like to move the ball. But in England they like to fight and run and score very fast! Of course, if you play well for your team and things go well, the national coach is going to see that and you become more important to him. And I have only good memories of the stadium here - My only other match was a friendly with Valencia and I scored the goal that gave us the victory!"

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=808743&sec=transfers&cc=3436
Well, I can't say it's not a good signing. Definitely a step forward for the Bitters, but they have a ridiculous ammount of players. I find it surprising that he would move to a club that won't play CL football, but hey, money talks I guess.

Mooche

Reaction score
Wow, that is a huge signing. It is going to be interesting to see what he can bring to that team.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
United off to a good start.

3-1 win against Celtic in Toronto, goals from Dimitar Berbatov, Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley. Lots of good performances from the youngsters.

Next up, Philadelphia.

CNassassin2145

Reaction score
is this true that Manchester City r going after james milner now or am i hearing the wrong thing

BlueNation

Reaction score
Liverpool kicks off their EPL season this Sunday! I'm sooo excited!

sportsguy11

Reaction score
There's good things and bad things for having my Toffees having Tim Howard:
Good: Since he's a recognizable face in America, Everton highlights get play here.
Bad: When the only goal in a 1-0 loss was off a dropped ball that got kicked in.

Looking for at least a point next week against Wolverhampton.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
First week almost done. United and Newcastle the only ones left. Can't <Censored>ing wait to be honest.

[PRBREAK][/PRBREAK]

Manchester United vs. Newcastle United
English Premier League
Old Trafford
16. 08. 2010

Match Preview:
The English Premier League is back, and although by the time Manchester United and Newcastle kick off their respective campaigns at Old Trafford on Monday night all other 18 teams in the league will have played the first of their 38 league games this season, all eyes will be firmly on a dazzling Old Trafford. After losing out to title rivals Chelsea by a solitary point last season, fans and pundits alike will be interested to see how United respond. With no ‘galactico’ type signing many fans have craved, Sir Alex has opted for youth, again, a policy which has influenced his transfer policy, epitomized by the three signings he has made.

Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez, Chris Smalling and, most recently, unheard of Portuguese forward (or winger, who knows!) Bebe have an average age of just 20.6 years, and whilst Hernandez has demonstrated the sort of ability that could make him an instant hit, it’s fair to say that these were payers bought with the future firmly in mind. Sir Alex has always stated that he is happy with the balance of the squad, and with these three newest additions he has added some extra depth and unpredictability to polish of a squad he expects to challenge on all fronts this season:

"We've got to think about how we're going to win this league, you have to think that Chelsea - having won the league last season - are going to be the favourites. That's what you have to think - the team that won it the previous season, you have to try and knock them off their perch."

"For me, given the history of this club, the European Cup is a big attraction. For me, anyway. That must be a priority.

"But you cannot help but go for the Premier League, because the Premier League is such a tribalistic competition. Every game is so competitive, with six or seven rivals, so you cannot help but go for it."
For Newcastle too, this season represents a big challenge. Having been so disastrously poor in the 08/09 English Premier League season, where they were eventually relegated, Newcastle’s instant return to the top flight was merely the first step in recovering some of the club’s pride. The Toon Army coasted through the Championship with extreme ease, winning promotion with five games remaining amassing 102 point on the way. Expectations are much more moderate this season for Newcastle, whose fans are often criticized for their exuberant expectations of their club, and the general feeling around Newcastle is that retention of Premier League status would suffice for this season.

The last time these two sides came up against each other on the first game of the season was in the campaign of 08/09 where they played out a 1-1 draw. Although they shared the points that day, they shared vastly different fortunes over the course of that season, as United went on to win the title, whilst Newcastle were eventually relegated.

Team News:
UnitedIn: N/A Out: Owen Haregreaves, Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Anderson, Gabriel Obertan, Patrice Evra (doubt)

NewcastleIn: N/A Out: Steven Taylor, Dan Gosling, Leon Best, Danny Simpson

It might be the first game of the season, but both Manchester United and Newcastle both face their fair share of injury problems heading into this one. There is still no timeline on Owen Hargreaves return, with many fearing for his career after he was sent back to the US to work with his team of surgeons in an effort to try and get him back on the pitch. Anderson is United’s only other longer term problem, with Sir Alex confirming he will be out until mid-late September. Neville, Obertan and Ferdinand are much more short term injury problems, and should be fit over the next couple of weeks after picking up injuries over the off season.

Newcastle too will be without Steven Taylor, who suffered a dislocated shoulder over pre season, and Dan Gosling, recently signed form Everton, for the long term, the latter not expected back until the new year. Leon Best and ex-Red Danny Simpson have recently picked up injuries over Newcastle’s pre season and will take no part in the opener at Old Trafford on Monday night.

Mg91’s Prediction
FINALLY! The hoo-hah of the World Cup is over, the pre-season is over and now United will make a long awaited return to regular competitive league football. The disappointments of last April and May still burn fresh in the memory, making the thought of beckoning in a new season all the more enticing. Chelsea have well and truly laid down the marker with their 6-0 thrashing of West Bromwich Albion, and it is down to United to respond positively.

There is a sense of renewed optimism around this season despite a lack of major changes to United’s squad. There is an overwhelming snese of familiarity to the squad that jsut fell short last season, however United’s preseason demonstrated great cause for optimism. Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs look as sharp and bright as ever and look to set to play a reduced, but equally important, role in United’s push for silverware this season, whilst the impressive performances of Macheda, Berbatov, Cleverley, Obertan and Gibson have provided renewed cause for hope heading into another season. Javier Hernandez too could play a major part this season. He scored four in four pre season games, and topped it off with a fifth in a mid week friendly for Mexico against World Champions Spain. His impressive goals at the World Cup and in this pre season were indicative of a potential that could see Hernandez become a great goal scorer for the club, leading many fans to hope that Hernandez could be the X-Factor player United seemed to lack at times last season. Smalling and relative unknown Portuguese forward Bebe will also bring a sense of fresh air to United’s squad, and United fans will be eager to see what added qualities the younger lads can bring to the side.

As for United’s established core of players, United can call on a lot of quality right through the pitch. With Van Der Sar in goals, Ferdinand and Vidic in defense, Carrick, Fletcher, Nani and Park as well as the likes of Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and Michael Owen up front, it isn’t to hard to understand why Sir Alex opted for a summer of quiet tweaks here and there rather than one of upheaval. United’s contingent of experienced players have all been there and done it before, and United will look at them to provide the consistency that will ultimately bring that 19th title to United.

Predicted Line Up:

Van Der Sar
O’Shea ------------------------------------ Vidic ---------------------- Evans ----------------------------------- Fabio
Valencia ----------------------- Fletcher --------------------- Carrick --------------------------------- Nani
Rooney ----------------------- Berbatov

I would be lying if I said I was even 75% certain on this line up, but the truth is, it’s always hard to predict who will play on the opening day of the season, especially when there were so many impressive performers over the pre season. Even the formation is hard to pick, but given the hard time Rooney has had over the summer, as well as questions over his match fitness, he only played in two matches of the pre season, including the Charity Shield, it’s hard to imagine Sir Alex putting him up front on his own. He will most likely be partnered with Berbatov, but given Hernandez’s fantastic performances, it wouldn’t be surprising if the Mexican were to get the nod instead.

Valencia and Nani should be given the job of manning the wings. Both were immensely impressive last season, and considering their age, it is fair to expect even greater improvement from the two of them. Nani and Valencia bring a lot of pace, quality and a decent goal threat to the side that will nicely complement the two forwards ahead of them. Most importantly though they will be tasked with giving United as much width as possible. United, and particularly Wayne Rooney, scored a majority of their goals from the first class service provided by Nani, Park and in particular, Antonio Valencia. Should the 4-4-2 formation be Sir Alex Ferguson’s shape of choice on Monday night, expect a big influence on the width and pace of United’s wide men.

The middle of the park will most likely be manned by Fletcher and Carrick, who has a lot to prove after a mediocre year last season, however given the brilliance of Scholes at the Community Shield last weekend, you could hardly deny him a spot in the first XI. Gibson as well as Cleverley also offer different options has well, however a starting berth for these young guns is highly unlikely.

Whatever lineup Sir Alex chooses, it’s hard to see United coming out with anything other than three points. Yes, we are notoriously slow starters, but given the fantastic performance United put in last weekend against a strong Chelsea side, as well as the form of United’s players over pre season, United are looking sharp and eager to get forward and score goals. If there was one area to be concerned about after the showings of pre season, it is without doubt our defending of set pieces, where we conceded far too many chances, and indeed goals, over our US Tour.

That said, should United click like they did last Sunday, they should start this season on a high note:

United – 2
Newcastle – 0​

http://www.unitedzone.info/content/manchester-united-vs-newcastle-united-match-preview-98/
As for the rest of the weekend, Spurs vs. City was a great game, but Spurs should have slaughtered City. They had some brilliant chances, but City's keeper was fantastic as well. Le Arse vs Liverfail was average. Arsenal are still clueless in the final third. Brilliant approach play, but <Censored>, I don't think they understand that you don't have to pass the ball into the net to score a goal. Liverpool look much better than last season. They dfended well to their credit. I think 1-1 was a fair result.

Chelsea were rampant winning 6-0, but I expected that, and the other big surprises were new boys Blackpool smashing Wigan 4-0.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Finished 3-0.

Scholes should have my babies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/39o7V0T2g15KB3I139f6

76/85 Successful passes. That is simply outstanding.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Dear Scousers of this fine forum.

Lick my grits.

Dimitar Berbatov for the mother<Censored>ing win. That's right, he was so good, I didn't even abbreviate the <Censored>. Get the <Censored> in.

OldChili

Reaction score
Big game on Sunday for Liverpool. We've been horrid on the road all season, but maybe Tottenham will be tired after their mid-week Champions league game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%