Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Like everything, there are multiple view points. Theyre all right.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Donkey said:

Patriots playoff games are wild as fuck always, how is there no suspense? 
Because you know who is going to win lol

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
I maintain that the officials have too much to think about while officiating. Every rule has 16 little nuances, 10 or so of which are completely subjective. Basketball has one block/charge/no call rule, the NFL has 10 of them.

Simplify, simplify, simplify. Seriously. They're--professionals, I get it, but split second decisions all game long is going to come with mistakes, even from the best.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
If there was ever an obvious call, it was that missed PI. 

Comical. A joke. Can't happen

Don't care about how many chances the Saints had, this was one of the worst mistakes in sports history. Would've been a travesty had it happened in the regular season, never mind with a shot to the SB on the line. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
_NV said:
If there was ever an obvious call, it was that missed PI. 

Comical. A joke. Can't happen

Don't care about how many chances the Saints had, this was one of the worst mistakes in sports history. Would've been a travesty had it happened in the regular season, never mind with a shot to the SB on the line. 
I mean even with what the Saints did or did not do, if that flag is thrown we are talking about a Saints Pats Super Bowl. Brees vs Brady. Thats what sucks about it, the Saints did what they needed to do to kick a game winning field goal, and the officiating took it from them. They had no shot to win that game once the officials turned their heads to an obvious PI and helmet to helmet.

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
I mean even with what the Saints did or did not do, if that flag is thrown we are talking about a Saints Pats Super Bowl. Brees vs Brady. Thats what sucks about it, the Saints did what they needed to do to kick a game winning field goal, and the officiating took it from them. They had no shot to win that game once the officials turned their heads to an obvious PI and helmet to helmet.
It wasn't going to be a completion either way. I would've preferred for us to actually win the game ourselves instead of relying on one penalty on the other team.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Delirium said:
It wasn't going to be a completion either way. I would've preferred for us to actually win the game ourselves instead of relying on one penalty on the other team.
He literally clocked him because there was a good chance it would have been. Better to take a risk of the ref not calling the flag, which he didn't, then let him catch the ball. 

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
_NV™ said:
He literally clocked him because there was a good chance it would have been. Better to take a risk of the ref not calling the flag, which he didn't, then let him catch the ball. 
From what I remember of the play, I didn't think it was going to be completed without the interference. I'm not watching it again any time soon though.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Delirium said:
From what I remember of the play, I didn't think it was going to be completed without the interference. I'm not watching it again any time soon though.
Obviously there's always the possibility of a drop, but if you go back and watch the view from the sideline it's pretty obvious that TLL was in good position to make the catch, and he would have walked into the end zone. The ball even landed well inside the field of play at about the 2 yard line. It was a great play call that caught the LA DB sleeping, his only two options were to pull up and allow TLL to come down with the ball or run over TLL and draw a PI. He picked option number 2, and we all know how that ended. There's a professional videographer who put out a tweet of video he took of the play which actually shows one of the officials reach for his flag then not elect to throw it, which makes this whole thing even more disgusting.

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Obviously there's always the possibility of a drop, but if you go back and watch the view from the sideline it's pretty obvious that TLL was in good position to make the catch, and he would have walked into the end zone. The ball even landed well inside the field of play at about the 2 yard line. It was a great play call that caught the LA DB sleeping, his only two options were to pull up and allow TLL to come down with the ball or run over TLL and draw a PI. He picked option number 2, and we all know how that ended. There's a professional videographer who put out a tweet of video he took of the play which actually shows one of the officials reach for his flag then not elect to throw it, which makes this whole thing even more disgusting.
That's horrible if it's true, but that's why you can't rely on them.

I've seen a comparison of this play to the Minnesota Miracle play, talking about how Marcus Williams went out of his way to avoid a penalty and it cost us the game, and in this game, Robey-Coleman went right into an illegal hit and even that cost us the game too. Our guy tried to do the right thing and it backfired, and this time their guy does the wrong thing and it works.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Delirium said:
That's horrible if it's true, but that's why you can't rely on them.

I've seen a comparison of this play to the Minnesota Miracle play, talking about how Marcus Williams went out of his way to avoid a penalty and it cost us the game, and in this game, Robey-Coleman went right into an illegal hit and even that cost us the game too. Our guy tried to do the right thing and it backfired, and this time their guy does the wrong thing and it works.
Mike Thomas spoke on it today:

The sideline official reached for his flag, but he didn't pull it out," Saints wideout Michael Thomas said. "It looked like he was going to throw it, but another official came running in, and it was like he got intimidated."
I'm no NFL historian, but it's hard for me to believe there's ever been a 2 year run that ended in heart break like this. Last year you have a reliable safety just whiff and that causes you to lose out on a trip to Philly for the NFCCG, then this year officiating literally steals a SB birth from you.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Id feel worse if the saints didnt have a super bowl rigged for them in 09-10

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
He definitely wouldnt have scored on it. His back was turned to the end zone. Hell, it would have been better for the saints if he didnt score, but point still stands

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Mike Thomas spoke on it today:

I'm no NFL historian, but it's hard for me to believe there's ever been a 2 year run that ended in heart break like this. Last year you have a reliable safety just whiff and that causes you to lose out on a trip to Philly for the NFCCG, then this year officiating literally steals a SB birth from you.
06-07 for us has you beat

06: Bears won the NFC Championship already, and its widely presumed that the AFCCG winner will win it all (hint they did). Pats up 21-3 at half time, blow the lead and the Colts win.
07: Tyree.

Granted, nobody gives a fuck because Brady's playing in his 9th Super Bowl, with Roethlisberger and Eli are the only two other QBs with more than 1 Super Bowl appearance, but its definitely worse imo.

Hell, last year's should feel a lot worse than this years.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
06-07 for us has you beat

06: Bears won the NFC Championship already, and its widely presumed that the AFCCG winner will win it all (hint they did). Pats up 21-3 at half time, blow the lead and the Colts win.
07: Tyree.

Granted, nobody gives a fuck because Brady's playing in his 9th Super Bowl, with Roethlisberger and Eli are the only two other QBs with more than 1 Super Bowl appearance, but its definitely worse imo.

Hell, last year's should feel a lot worse than this years.
I don't think that's worse

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
I don't think that's worse
18-1 was fucking brutal man. Honestly one of the worst feelings in my entire life, and I was still extremely upset with it until Malcolm Butler's INT. By now, it is what it is, but there isn't a worse feeling than what happened. Its worse than the Warriors blowing a 3-1 lead versus LeBron, or the Yankees losing a 3-0 ALCS lead to Boston...

06 isnt AS bad as the others but it hurt

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mid-80's Browns losing back to back to the Broncos is worse. The last two Falcons losses are arguably worse. The 11-13 Niners lost in heartbreaking fashion three years in a row. The Bills lost four straight Super Bowls. 

I still don't think the missed call is the all-time heartbreak everyone seems to think it is, the Saints immediately took the lead after it happened. They also had multiple opportunities to win the game afterwards. I think the Chiefs loss is arguably more heartbreaking because the game literally came down to a coin flip. Whoever won the toss was gonna go right down the field and score.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Teagz said:
Mid-80's Browns losing back to back to the Broncos is worse. The last two Falcons losses are arguably worse. The 11-13 Niners lost in heartbreaking fashion three years in a row. The Bills lost four straight Super Bowls. 

I still don't think the missed call is the all-time heartbreak everyone seems to think it is, the Saints immediately took the lead after it happened. They also had multiple opportunities to win the game afterwards. I think the Chiefs loss is arguably more heartbreaking because the game literally came down to a coin flip. Whoever won the toss was gonna go right down the field and score.
forreal

they took the lead, couldnt make a stop, got the ball in OT, couldnt score, and then couldnt make the stop. 

Sure the game was over if he was called for DPI, but they easily could have ended it earlier as well. Like they got the ball to start OT, and we're out here saying it was unfair to KC that Mahomes didnt get a shot. Saints did it to themselves

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:

Also the offsides penalty wiping out the interception.  The game is over if Ford lines up two inches back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%