2018 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:

I agree. They're fans were acting like World Series champs back in May
It's sad actually.  I'm pulling for them but Oakland is just surging right now and Houston won't let up.

catman

Reaction score
Teagz said:
This Williamsport thing would be so much more interesting if they played on an actual little league field. 

It'd be completely unsafe, but fun nonetheless
Can you say 40-39 final score?
Seriously, these major leaguers would all hit homers just about every AB.
I do enjoy seeing the major leaguers and little leaguers interact.  It looks like a lot of fun for everyone.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Justin "not anything special " Turner now hitting .305/.398/.498

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rockies should be in first place by a lot but thankfully they are reckless with their spending
Don't believe teams like them who cry small market

They gave tulo a huge extension
Cargo,a huge extension
Blackmon a huge extension
Spent like over 100M on bullpen
Gave ian desmond 80M

And obviously want to keep Nolan

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Justin "not anything special " Turner now hitting .305/.398/.498
Turner is solid, I don't consider .305 to be anything but solid. He's not hitting .330 again, that was an anomaly. That is what I meant by "something special."

Good catch there.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Rockies should be in first place by a lot but thankfully they are reckless with their spending
Don't believe teams like them who cry small market

They gave tulo a huge extension
Cargo,a huge extension
Blackmon a huge extension
Spent like over 100M on bullpen
Gave ian desmond 80M

And obviously want to keep Nolan
Rockies never have the pitching, they have to fight with offense.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
obviously theyre struggling to win the division

Fact is theyre 12-13 since the break and are only 1 back. Your roxkies and backs should be burying the dodgers especially with kenley out a month now

And yes this season buehler is better than kershaw and arguably rich hill too.

Dodgers issues arent pitching, they arent losing 13-3 every night. If these guys dont hit they wont make it
I finally have more time to address this more clearly.  Just wanted to point out that there are at least two pitchers on the Dodgers with better FIPs than Walker Buehler.  The FIPs and WAR of current pitchers as follows for 2018:

Walker Buehler- 3.38 FIP and 1.8 WAR, 87.1 innings pitched
Clayton Kershaw- 2.87 FIP, 3.7 WAR, 116.1 innings pitched
Rich Hill- 4.35 FIP, 0.8 WAR, 91.2 innings pitched
Kenta Maeda- 3.25 FIP, 0.6 WAR, 110 innings pitched
Alex Wood- 3.48 FIP, 1.3 WAR, 128.1 innings pitched

Rich Hill is the biggest outlier here, but you're even sold highly on him when he has a 4.35 FIP.  What's amazing is that Maeda (who I think is a solid pitcher) has a better FIP than Buehler this season and he's thrown a lot more innings.  The only thing Maeda lacks is WAR, where Buehler is far better, but again, it's a much smaller smaple size.  In terms of FIP though (since WAR isn't the best determinant for pitchers IMO) Maeda is just about right up there with him.  But again, Kershaw (the best pitcher period) is leagues above everyone else in WAR and FIP while pitching 116 inninga.  Less innings than he normally throws, but still more than Buehler and Hill.  Only Alex Wood has thrown more, but Kershaw is still better than him in WAR and FIP.

Kershaw more than doubles Buehler's FIP and has thrown far more innings (116 to 87) than Buehler.  It's not even a contest here.  Kershaw is the better pitcher and I'd take him hands down 100% over Buehler, even if he isn't vintage Kershaw like he used to be.  He's still the best pitcher on the Dodgers and arguably the whole league.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I havent followed the Dodgers much this year so you guys can probably answer this - But why is Ross Stripling in the bullpen? He too has a higher WAR than Buehler (2.5). Is it a workload thing?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWN, you cant really use Buehlers innings pitched as a negative. He was pitching well and they reduced his workload because of his age. They dont want to overwork him.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
I havent followed the Dodgers much this year so you guys can probably answer this - But why is Ross Stripling in the bullpen? He too has a higher WAR than Buehler (2.5). Is it a workload thing?
Ryu has too much of an injury history (missing 2 full years, was out since April until last week) that they don't want him in the pen cause it takes long to warm up. And look at his numbers, he's been great

Same with Wood. Takes too long to warm up

Buehler missed time this season already with a fractured rib that it works out because that was his version of an innings limit. He should be good to go the rest of the way, plus he's arguably their best. He's so good

Rich Hill and Kersh obviously start

So they moved maeda and strip. Stripling was struggling a little bit anyways. Lot of innings and has pen experience

Maeda was an ace in October and he's the closer til kenley is back

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Rockies never have the pitching, they have to fight with offense.
not this year

Very good home grown starters

Mediocre offense

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I finally have more time to address this more clearly.  Just wanted to point out that there are at least two pitchers on the Dodgers with better FIPs than Walker Buehler.  The FIPs and WAR of current pitchers as follows for 2018:

Walker Buehler- 3.38 FIP and 1.8 WAR, 87.1 innings pitched
Clayton Kershaw- 2.87 FIP, 3.7 WAR, 116.1 innings pitched
Rich Hill- 4.35 FIP, 0.8 WAR, 91.2 innings pitched
Kenta Maeda- 3.25 FIP, 0.6 WAR, 110 innings pitched
Alex Wood- 3.48 FIP, 1.3 WAR, 128.1 innings pitched

Rich Hill is the biggest outlier here, but you're even sold highly on him when he has a 4.35 FIP.  What's amazing is that Maeda (who I think is a solid pitcher) has a better FIP than Buehler this season and he's thrown a lot more innings.  The only thing Maeda lacks is WAR, where Buehler is far better, but again, it's a much smaller smaple size.  In terms of FIP though (since WAR isn't the best determinant for pitchers IMO) Maeda is just about right up there with him.  But again, Kershaw (the best pitcher period) is leagues above everyone else in WAR and FIP while pitching 116 inninga.  Less innings than he normally throws, but still more than Buehler and Hill.  Only Alex Wood has thrown more, but Kershaw is still better than him in WAR and FIP.

Kershaw more than doubles Buehler's FIP and has thrown far more innings (116 to 87) than Buehler.  It's not even a contest here.  Kershaw is the better pitcher and I'd take him hands down 100% over Buehler, even if he isn't vintage Kershaw like he used to be.  He's still the best pitcher on the Dodgers and arguably the whole league.
Buehler is a rookie Ace

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
PWN, you cant really use Buehlers innings pitched as a negative. He was pitching well and they reduced his workload because of his age. They dont want to overwork him.
I never said he was bad.  Mexi said he's better than Kershaw.  i was refuting that point and saying no way in hell is Buehler better than Kershaw.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Ryu has too much of an injury history (missing 2 full years, was out since April until last week) that they don't want him in the pen cause it takes long to warm up. And look at his numbers, he's been great

Same with Wood. Takes too long to warm up

Buehler missed time this season already with a fractured rib that it works out because that was his version of an innings limit. He should be good to go the rest of the way, plus he's arguably their best. He's so good

Rich Hill and Kersh obviously start

So they moved maeda and strip. Stripling was struggling a little bit anyways. Lot of innings and has pen experience

Maeda was an ace in October and he's the closer til kenley is back
I actually don't mind the Dodger's rotation, they just can't stay healthy.  I don't consider Rich hill to be reliable.  I think with his injury history he should be in the pen.  great pitcher just can't stay healthy all year consistently.

I'd rather have Maeda and Kershaw as my 1-2.

The loss of a vintage Darvish also hurts the Dodgers.  At his best, Darvish was great.  If he were still here and putting up 2016 numbers with Maeda and Kershaw, then you're talking best rotation in baseball.  But the sporadic rotation of Hill and a bunch of others just doesn't work for me.

I admit I don't know Buehler or Wood that well, I'm just looking into the current numbers.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
They have one of the two best rotations in baseball. If theirs doesnt do it for you, nobody elses will either.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Boy pwn, you must have missed games 4 and 7 of the world series lol

Darvish was so bad

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
They have one of the two best rotations in baseball. If theirs doesnt do it for you, nobody elses will either.
3rd place Dodgers

Literally because of the bad start. Freaking drives me crazy

Dbacks were 20-8
Dodgers 12-16 8gm back

Now we're 2 back.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Mexi said:
3rd place Dodgers

Literally because of the bad start. Freaking drives me crazy

Dbacks were 20-8
Dodgers 12-16 8gm back

Now we're 2 back.
You can't say it's only because of the bad start when they took first place back and lost it again haha. They're struggling NOW.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
True. Last week was a disaster. 5 straight losses, 7 straight blown by the pen in late innings lol. 2 of those we won obv

But we kicked Seattle's ass. I love the DH

But the stupid mariners used a position player to pitch and he hit Manny in the wrist. X-rays negative but hopefully he plays tonight

Cardinals are red hot apparently. Big 4 gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%