Best WR in '16 Class?

HitmanCapone

Reaction score
With so many different opinions on who the top WR in this class is I was curious where this forum stood on the subject.

Josh Doctson | TCU | 6'2" | 202lbs
2015: 79 catches for 1,327 yards (16.8 YPR) and 14 TDs • 2016 NFL Combine: 9 7/8†hands, 31 7/8†arms, 14 reps-225 lbs, 4.5 (40-yd), 41†VJ, 10’11†BJ, 6.84 (3-cone) and 4.08 (20-yd SS)
Doctson’s climb at TCU after leaving Wyoming came through hard work and dedication to the team’s program. He’s capable of making any catch you’d expect from an NFL No. 1 wide receiver and being open is of little significance. Josh consistently makes the contested catches and wins down the field in jump ball matchups. Although he’s not necessarily sudden, he accelerates and changes speed well in the middle of his routes. His style is very similar to former Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (Houston Texans). As he continues to develop, more attention will be needed on speeding up the process to excel at the next level. His hand-eye coordination and body control suggests that his floor will be at the least a productive No. 2 receiver in the NFL.
Laquon Treadwell | Ole Miss | 6'2" | 221lbs
2015: 82 receptions for 1,153 yards (14 YPR) and 11 TDs • 2016 NFL Combine: 9 ½†hands, 33 3/8†arms, 12 reps-225 lbs, 33†VJ, 9’9†BJ
It really didn’t take long to figure out a legitimate comparison for Treadwell at this same stage. We think his physical style and dominating on-field body control drum up images of Brandon Marshall when he came out of Central Florida. Marshall ran in the 4.5-range and he actually played defensive back as a 6-foot-4 safety early in his collegiate career. Watching Treadwell adjust to the football on back-shoulder fades, run after the catch with balance and big-boy defensive backs creates a lot of the same pictures. He’s probably not quite as explosive off the ball, but it seemed like he carried his pads with better foot speed as a junior. We think Treadwell has value late on Day 1 in the 2016 NFL Draft.
Corey Coleman | Baylor | 5'11" | 194lbs
2015: 74 receptions for 1,363 yards (18.4 YPR) and 20 TDs; 3 KRs for 36 yards • 2016 NFL Combine: 9" hands, 30 1/4" arms, 17 reps-225 lbs, 40 1/2" VJ, 10'9" BJ • 2016 Baylor Pro Day: 4.37-4.40 (40-yd)
In watching Corey Coleman play, he conjures up images of former Ohio State WR Joey Galloway (Seahawks, Redskins, Buccaneers) in both style and physicality. While he doesn’t pay consistent down-to-down attention to blocking, it is an element he should improve in time. His low center of gravity, powerful stride and running back-like lower body strength bring Galloway to mind. While he didn’t do it as much this past season, Corey –like Galloway- can be a tremendous asset in the return game. Galloway was definitely at least a full tick faster (4.2 speed), but he didn’t drop his weight as violently as Coleman does coming back down the stem to the football. Corey also has better tracking skills down the field than Galloway did at this same stage. We feel Coleman has value either late on Day 1 or early on Day 2 of the 2016 NFL Draft.
Will Fuller | Notre Dame | 6'0" | 186lbs
2015: 56 catches for 1,145 yards (20.4 YPR) and 13 TDs • 2016 NFL Combine: 8 1/4" hands, 30 3/4" arms, 10 reps-225 lbs, 4.32 (40-yd), 33 1/2" arms, 10'6" BJ, 6.93 (3-cone), 4.27 (20-yd SS), 11.44 (60-yd LS)
Fuller made the decision to enter the 2016 NFL Draft and he certainly has been dominant at the collegiate level. He’s a player who has the look of a DeSean Jackson-type, but he’s not as dynamic after the catch. While he has similar hand-eye coordination tracking the ball down the field, he doesn’t catch the ball as naturally on intermediate patterns. He compares most favorably to Jackson in his slight build and overall physical make-up.
Rashard Higgins | Colorado St | 6'1" | 196lbs
2015: 75 catches for 1,062 yards (14.1 YPR) and 8 TDs • Via www.hollywoodhiggins.com, Career Stats: 38 games, 239 receptions for 3,649 yards (15.3 YPR) and 31 TDs • 2016 NFL Combine: 9 3/4" hands, 32 1/4" arms, 13 reps-225 lbs, 4.64 (40-yd), 32" VJ, 9'8" BJ
Higgins lined up primarily as the "X" receiver in Colorado State's offense and was asked to run a variety of routes, showing the instincts to exploit holes and get uncovered. Higgins isn't a burner or sudden athlete, but he plays with synchronized shake and terrific footwork to plant-and-go without wasted movements in his routes. He is advanced in several areas at the position and might be the best receiver in this class at improvising to find open zones and give his quarterback a clean target. Although is lack of ideal size and speed will ding him on draft boards, Higgins has the production that matches the tape and his strengths translate well to the next level.
Pharoh Cooper | South Carolina | 5'11" | 203lbs
2015: 66 receptions for 973 yards (14.7 YPR) and 8 TDs; 24 rushes for 111 yards (4.6 YPR) and one TD; 4.6 YPR; Completed 2-of-5 passes for 11 yards and one TD • 2016 NFL Combine: 9 1/8" hands, 32 1/4" arms, 15 reps-225 lbs, 31" VJ, 9'7" BJ
Cooper is an electric athlete in the open field with light feet and creative moves to easily redirect his momentum without slowing down. And those change of direction skills allow him to separate in his routes with the speed and vision to eliminate pursuit angles. Cooper lacks ideal size and strength, but can impact the game in several ways on offense and special teams, which boosts his NFL value.
Sterling Shepard | Oklahoma | 5'10" | 194lbs
• Caught 73 passes for 1,243 yards and 25 total TDs (17 REC, 8 RUSH) • 2016 NFL Combine: 9 3/4" hands, 30 3/8" arms, 20 reps-225 lbs, 4.48 (40-yd), 41" VJ, 10'3" BJ, 7.0 (3-cone), 4.35 (20-yd SS)
Shepard routinely proved to be a mismatch during one-on-one drills against cornerbacks at the Senior Bowl, using his short-area burst to create spacing and give his quarterback a clean target. If the corner doesn't make contact with Shepard off the line of scrimmage, it's too easy for the smallish, but talented receiver to make something happen.

Shepard has shown toughness throughout his career and frankly, he'll need to continue to play with this chip on his shoulder to enjoy similar success at the next level.
Shepard’s combination of body control, quickness, and competitiveness translate to the NFL level. There are, however, injury concerns that may leave his evaluations incomplete. This is even more prevalent when you consider that his groin injury took a number of weeks to heal during the 2014 season. In 2015, he finally completed an entire college season as a number one receiver. He was only average at the beginning of the 2016 Senior Bowl practices, and then he went down to injury mid-week. This continued a theme from earlier in his career. While his body of work, clutch performances and postseason has had its share of 'wow' moments, he'll have to stay healthy to develop into a Randall Cobb-type (Green Bay Packers) in the NFL.
Tyler Boyd | Pittsburgh | 6'2" | 200lbs
2015: 91 receptions fro 926 yards (10.1 YPR) and 6 TDs; 40 rushes for 349 yards (8.7 YPC); Completed 2-of-3 passes for 67 yards *Combine - 4.58(40y) 2.66 (20y) 1.59 (10y) 11 reps-225 lbs, 34in vertical, 4.35 (shuttle) 6.90 (3cone)
A graceful athlete, he trusts his hands and uses quick eyes to snatch and immediately analyze his surroundings, but his body size does lead to durability concerns, especially over the middle. Despite average measureables, Boyd is an exquisite catcher of the football and able to stand out by paying attention to the details, putting his value in the top 50 range. His ideal NFL fit is in the slot in a Jarvis Landry-type role.
Michael Thomas | Ohio St | 6'3" | 210lbs
2015 (13 gms): 56 catches for 781 yards (13.9 YPR) and 9 TDs *Combine 4.57(40y) 2.63(20y) 1.55(10y) 18 reps 225lbs, 35" Vertical Jump, 10'6" BJ 4.13 (Shuttle) 6.80 (3cone)
Thomas isn't the fastest or most explosive, but he is a good-sized athlete and detailed route-runner with little wasted movements to create spacing at the stem. Although he will need time to adapt to a NFL playbook, he projects as an ideal No. 2 wide receiver at the next level due to his savvy footwork, body control and ball-skills to be a reliable possession target.
Thomas may very well benefit from a sparse 2016 NFL Draft receiving class. Like his uncle, Keyshawn Johnson, Michael uses his catch radius, strong grippers, size and quickness to frustrate defensive backs. He’s been a tough player to tackle after the catch on possession routes. NFL teams shouldn’t expect him to come in and be a deep receiver, but he will win outside the numbers due to his physical style. His stride –while satisfactory- probably isn’t as long as the aforementioned Johnson’s coming out at this same stage. Keep in mind, Johnson ran in the 4.48 range coming out of school. We expect him to test in the 4.55-range but his quickness makes up for it. He’s sort of a Davante Adams-type (Green Bay Packers) entering the league.

*All Reports are via CBS & Draft Nasty

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Treadwell. He's got the size, decent speed, and he can play physical. A lot of these guy are smaller, burners. Watch Tread being atop of the league in receptions per season by year 3.

Stray32

Reaction score
Yeah I agree, Treadwell is #1 and while he'd be great value late in the 1st it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go in the teens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitmanCapone

Reaction score
Pharoah said:
Treadwell. He's got the size, decent speed, and he can play physical. A lot of these guy are smaller, burners. Watch Tread being atop of the league in receptions per season by year 3.
Actually Treadwell is slow and a lot of teams are concerned about how well he will be able to perform as he ages(slows down) I still personally like him but didn't want people to possibly get the wrong opinion as many scouts were very underwhelmed with his 4.65 (40y).

HitmanCapone

Reaction score
Another WR that probably translates well to the NFL is Tennessee WR Marquez North. Any who I really believe that for a lot of these guys it'll come down to fit. I really love Doctsons game and if he wasn't 23 he'd probably be my choice, I still think he's going to be good and I'd be very happy with him. Treadwell is still most likely my #1 guy but I do think it's going to be close between Treadwell/Doctson/Thomas/Boyd

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
HitmanCapone said:
Actually Treadwell is slow and a lot of teams are concerned about how well he will be able to perform as he ages(slows down) I still personally like him but didn't want people to possibly get the wrong opinion as many scouts were very underwhelmed with his 4.65 (40y).
Not too concerned with the 40 time. Amendola, Sanu, and Landry all ran slower and still found NFL success by making plays. Like I said, the Vikings don't need a burner. Mike Wallace was that guy and he didn't do shit. Stretching the field is a moot point considering their offense.

HitmanCapone

Reaction score
Pharoah said:
Not too concerned with the 40 time. Amendola, Sanu, and Landry all ran slower and still found NFL success by making plays. Like I said, the Vikings don't need a burner. Mike Wallace was that guy and he didn't do shit. Stretching the field is a moot point considering their offense.
Never said the Vikings need a burner Im on record at FF saying this. Mike Wallace was/is horrible he's a one trick pony and isnt even good at that but Im getting off topic a bit

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%