Andrew McCutchen to the Giants

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Worse weekend in Pittsburgh ever?

Terrible trade IMO. McCutchen should have been  a lifer. He was on a tear to finish the year, the Giants aren't any better than the Pirates.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Worse weekend in Pittsburgh ever?

Terrible trade IMO. McCutchen should have been  a lifer. He was on a tear to finish the year, the Giants aren't any better than the Pirates.
I wouldn't count the Giants out. They always find ways to sneak into the postseason. They don't look like the best team by any means, but I'm not counting them out before the season starts.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Eh giants are now maybe a 81 win team? Maybe?

CoachAF

Reaction score
Giants pitching staff carried them in their championship runs. Can Bumgarner give up the dirt biking and then will Cueto wake up and start earning his money? They need their SP to carry them in that ballpark

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:
Giants pitching staff carried them in their championship runs. Can Bumgarner give up the dirt biking and then will Cueto wake up and start earning his money? They need their SP to carry them in that ballpark
Cueto is an above average pitcher at best, but that's it.  So is the Shark.  But the Shark can actually look more impressive at times,.  He is just either really sharp or downright horrible.  Cueto is just a thread above mediocre and an NL pitcher.

Their rotation is by no means great, but they won championships with little to no offense before... and as we saw in the 2017 postseason, pitching doesn't always get you championships if you have other strengths that work in your favor.  That being said, I don't think they're great but I'm not counting them out because they have won championships with less talented teams.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I wouldn't count the Giants out. They always find ways to sneak into the postseason. They don't look like the best team by any means, but I'm not counting them out before the season starts.
I don't buy it. Below average lineup, average pitching staff

They are in the same division as the Dodgers, DBacks, and Rockies. I don't buy the idea of them as being competitive.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with JZ
I definitely have the rockies and dbacks ahead of them still. And obviously the dodgers are heads and shoulders above them lol

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
I don't buy it. Below average lineup, average pitching staff
They are in the same division as the Dodgers, DBacks, and Rockies. I don't buy the idea of them as being competitive.
Snacks and Rockies could eaily have had just good years last year. I'm not sure they'll be as good. If they are not that great, the Giants have a way to sneak in.

And as good as the Dodgers are, they can't win in the postseason, which is something the Giants have done time and time again.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
4 years ago. Giants window is almost entirely closed

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Snacks and Rockies could eaily have had just good years last year. I'm not sure they'll be as good. If they are not that great, the Giants have a way to sneak in.

And as good as the Dodgers are, they can't win in the postseason, which is something the Giants have done time and time again.
The core that won those rings is gone. Posey and Bum are all that's left and they aren't carrying a team thru the NL West. They were a team that prided itself on SP, Samardzija is widely inconsistent and Cueto is coming off a bad year. I don't even know the back of the rotation but they don't have good track records. 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
The core that won those rings is gone. Posey and Bum are all that's left and they aren't carrying a team thru the NL West. They were a team that prided itself on SP, Samardzija is widely inconsistent and Cueto is coming off a bad year. I don't even know the back of the rotation but they don't have good track records. 
The four core of the Yankees is gone as well, does that mean they're finished?  There's always going to be new cores that come and go.  Always.

You say Posey and Bum are all that's left.  But now they have Longoria and McCutchen in the lineup along with others.  Even if they are past the climax of their careers, they are still solid batters, better than what they had previously.  I also like Brandon Belt, who is easily underrated.

You mention Samardzija being inconsistent, which is completely accurate.  That being said, he has a lot of upside in his consistency, similar to Mark Buerle.  He has pitched with an ERA under 3.00 before and also has pitched with an ERA over 4.00.  He's been inconsistent, so it's hard to tell how he will pitch again, but he will give you 200 innings.

Cueto, on the other hand, I believe is an NL pitcher at best, but looking at his stats, he had one down year which was last year.  If he pitches anywhere near to his career norm (3.33 ERA), he should be fine in the NL.  You don't talk AL until it actually matters.

So, if Samardjiza has one of his inconsistently good years (which isn't so far from believable), and Cueto pitches to his a career ERA, and you have Madison Bumgarner (a proven ace), you have a great 1-2-3 to get you to the postseason.  I'm not saying they're the best 1-2-3 in baseball, but I certainly like them at their best better than anyone else in that division.  Dodgers have depth but no clear #2 behind Kershaw.

Melancon also had a bad year last year and I don't see this repeating.  His career ERA is in the 2's.

It's not so far off to think they could have career years.  Look at the 2005 White Sox.  That team won because of players who had career years.  All the rotation needs to do to be good is have Cueto bounce back and Samardjiza be on the good side of his inconsistency (as he's done before).

I think the Rockies snuck in there last year.  I'd love to think they repeat their success, but I don't see it happening.  Who knows about the Diamondbacks, I almost feel the same and they will be without Martinez.  The Dodgers will win the division because they're the Dodgers, but I don't see them winning over 100 games again.  San Francisco still has a chance if the cards fall in their direction, and I don't think it's more on luck as you think.  There's talent there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%