Top 5 PF all time

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
Duncan obviously #1. Then guys like Malone, Dirk, KG, Barkley, McHale and Rodman. Curious as to where people rank Dirk.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
1. Bird
2. Duncan
3. Garnett
4. K.Malone
5. Dirk

but if you categorize Bird as a SF, then probably Barkley at 5.

brett05

Reaction score
Larry was not a PF.

1. Tim Duncan
2.  Karl Malone
3. Bob Pettit
4.  Dirk Nowitzki
5.  Dennis Rodman

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Nowitzki
4. Garnett
5. Barkley

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Larry was not a PF.
What's your reasoning to that? 

He was a PF in his three years at Indiana State. He was the starting PF for the first six seasons of his career in his twelve year career, and that only changed when McHale was deemed good enough to trade away Ced' Maxwell. And still, he didn't play like a traditional SF like Dominique -- he played like a PF. If he were in today's league, he wouldn't be a SF either.

Larry Bird was never listed by the team as a SF, but just as a forward. He's only categorized as a SF because he could hit threes and McHale couldn't. Bird shouldn't be grouped with guys like Nique and Lebron and VC -- he should be grouped with Dirk and KG

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Duncan
Garnett
Dirk
Malone
Barkley

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
What's your reasoning to that? 

He was a PF in his three years at Indiana State. He was the starting PF for the first six seasons of his career in his twelve year career, and that only changed when McHale was deemed good enough to trade away Ced' Maxwell. And still, he didn't play like a traditional SF like Dominique -- he played like a PF. If he were in today's league, he wouldn't be a SF either.

Larry Bird was never listed by the team as a SF, but just as a forward. He's only categorized as a SF because he could hit threes and McHale couldn't. Bird shouldn't be grouped with guys like Nique and Lebron and VC -- he should be grouped with Dirk and KG
Why the fuck are you referencing his college position in your argument?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Bird was a PF. His best years came at SF.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Why the fuck are you referencing his college position in your argument?
because he never played SF in college. he played PF until he was 29 years old

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Bird was a PF. His best years came at SF.
he was never a pf really either. he was a combo forward, but gets grouped as a sf because he's the smallest of mchale and parish. but his play style is far closer to garnett&dirk than any wing. boston ran a 3 big, two guard line in the 80s

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
because he never played SF in college. he played PF until he was 29 years old
College position is completely irrelevant to any argument of what position he played in the NBA.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Back to the discussion of what position bird played, I think it's a norm to say that players are defined by what position they played when they at their peak (hence why Duncan is still considered a PF when he's played a majority of the past five years ish at center). Bird undoubtedly started his career at the 4, and you can see the slight decline in his REB stats to prove when he moved to the 3.

But I don't think anyone would argue his prime was the late 80's, when he was playing the 3 with McHale at the 4. Thus, he's grouped with 3's when talked about in historical context

cavsfan817

Reaction score
Bird would DEFINITELY play at SF if he were in the league today. Obviously would spend some time at the 4, but he would for sure be a 3 lol

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I kinda feel the same way about tim duncan being a super tweener like bosox lists bird

Tim hasnt really played PF since Robinson retired

cavsfan817

Reaction score
Mexi said:
I kinda feel the same way about tim duncan being a super tweener like bosox lists bird

Tim hasnt really played PF since Robinson retired
Have you watched the Spurs...? In recent years he has played more of the 5 but up until they lost Splitter he was a PF haha

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I had a big write up about it last year how it's about 50/50 since Robinson retired but I don't feel like digging it up

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Even basketball reference has him listed as a center since like the rasho, nazr, oberto and elson days

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He only played PF because there was a monster who happened to be taller than him when he was drafted. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%