• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   GMF1991

GMF1991

Shocking The World

• Head Administrator
  • 33,990 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

When they expand to 32 teams (not if, I think expansion is a given) there is a much better chance of re-alignment within the same Leagues. There is a precedent for that with the 1994 re-alignment and creation of the Wild Card. That was certainly a big change, but the AL/NL were shuffled a little bit to make the 3rd division. I just can't see the owners voting to disintegrate the 2 leagues that have existed since pre-1900 with the NL and 1901 with the AL. I'd bet on a re-alignment within the leagues. Maybe something like this: 

NL East: Reds, Nationals, Braves, Marlins
NL West: Padres, Dodgers, Giants, D-Backs
NL Central: Rockies, Brewers, Cubs, Cardinals
NL North: Montreal (EXP), Mets, Pirates, Phillies

AL West: Portland (EXP), Mariners, Angels, A's
AL South: Royals, Rays , Rangers, Astros
AL Central: White Sox, Tigers, Indians, Twins
AL North: Blue Jays, Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles

I think this works fairly well. It keeps all the BIG rivalries together (LA/SF, NYY/BOS, CHC/STL). It does make for a couple weird divisions like the AL South with teams from 3 different divisions combining. But if you look at the map, the AL South is the only team that has super large travel distances. 

With this, I would give each division winner an automatic playoff spot and continue have two wild cards just like the NFL. Top two teams in the league get a bye in the first round. 

I really just don't think the leagues will be disbanded. 

I'm in favor of that structure. Very good odds for the Mets in that division. Make it happen MLB.

Although I wonder if they woukd split up crosstown rivals. Pittsburgh and Philly. 1 in the east, other in the north.

Ceap63JW4AA82v_.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 15 user(s)

catman, Teagz, elcheato, Coach, AE., brett05, Big Bid'Ness, .ptt81, PWNdroia, snipezo, JZsportswhiz, bosoxlover12, Mexi, The Guid, CameronCrazy06

Social Media

Site Info