Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Via Twitter and SportsCenter app.

For Knebel and Jake Thompson I believe.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Still think they try to get a lefty like Bastardo.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
About fucking time.

Do not care in the slightest that Thompson is in the deal. People on twitter are freaking the fuck out over it.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
About fucking time.

Do not care in the slightest that Thompson is in the deal. People on twitter are freaking the fuck out over it.
Yeah I don't care either. Needed to be done. Hoping he adds another arm too.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I want Benoit too. I don't really see the need to trade for a lefty when Smyly is most likely going back to the pen in October. I can live with Coke and Krol for two more months.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
I want Benoit too. I don't really see the need to trade for a lefty when Smyly is most likely going back to the pen in October. I can live with Coke and Krol for two more months.
True, forgot about Smyly.
Benoit would be ideal too. Not sure what we could offer now though lol.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ken Rosenthal said the Tigers never heavily pursued Benoit.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also, I hate when people say "Prospect A is going to be better than Proven Major Leaguer B"

Prospects are just that, prospects. I'll take my chances with the guy who's been lights out all year over the reliever who's probably a set up man at best and the starter who hasn't thrown a single major league inning and might never. Tigers fans are way too ansy every time there's a trade. When we got Sanchez they said it was an overpay, how'd that turn out? They (Tigers fans) also act like this team has been turning out a bunch of top players from the farm system. How many key contibuters came up with the Tigers? Verlander, Castellanos, Smyly... the list stops there. Everyone else came via trades and free agency. Seems like everything is doom and gloom when it comes to this team, even when they acquire actual elite talent.

TL;DR: Trust Dombrowski, he almost always makes the right move

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I was just trying to think of the last time a prospect we traded away panned out.
Idk if I'm just drawing a major blank, but all I can think of is like Matt Joyce?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
jiar was nice but even he fell off, fast.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Definitely had to be made but they all have to go after a second arm.

Wonder if Philly wants to move papelbon.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Alright so let's have a look at how this happened
DD traded a really good #3/maybe 2 starter for a mediocre package to free up some money to sign an expensive closer in Nathan, when they could have just kept Peralta.

Now they have to give up assets for an upgrade over an expensive reliever.

Dumbrowski

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
snipezo said:
Alright so let's have a look at how this happened
DD traded a really good #3/maybe 2 starter for a mediocre package to free up some money to sign an expensive closer in Nathan, when they could have just kept Peralta.

Now they have to give up assets for an upgrade over an expensive reliever.

Dumbrowski

It's bound to happen to screw up a trade at some point, but overall I'm happy with the job he's done over the years. Peralta is not doing anything special for the Cardinals this year, I don't miss him. Nathan hasn't been what they expected but I think he will be fine. If anything, I'm more upset about losing Benoit. Dombrowski has done a lot more good for this team than bad. He's human, it happens. 

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would say he's an average GM. He's just lucky to have that big of a payroll.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I disagree. His track record is quite impressive. While he has made some mistakes, he typically gets the better of any team he has traded with.

That Fister deal was bad, yes. But with Porcello and Scherzer up after the end of the season, it would have been impossible to keep all of them. All 3 of them, plus Verlander, command quite a salary because they really are just that good. I suppose in the end he felt like keeping Porcello would be more important than keeping Fister. And judging how Rick has pitched this year, he might have made the right choice. 

I do think though, he should have just kept Doug. Cause I don't think Max is going to come back next year. But I think at the time Dombrowski thought he had a chance to bring him back, and knew he couldn't have 3 guys on the books that command #2/3 starter money. 

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
His trading track record has been alright, but I don't like how he handles contracts. The Verlander and Cabrera deals are most likely going to be a pain in the future, but I'll give em that since they have to do what they can to do what they can to keep their franchise guys. Let's not forget the Prince signing, either. And honestly if they couldn't have kept Fister, they probably should have waited for a better deal for him. He's not great but he's not bad either.

Don't even like this deal tbh. Giving up a decent prospect for a $7 million reliever doesn't seem worth it.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's almost impossible to judge GMs on trades, because almost every trade in the MLB is prospects for major league players. It's all always a crap shoot for the team getting prospects. If you have the available budget you can almost always swing a trade for an impact player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%