Mad Bum in the Home Run Derby?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
So apparently they're comparing a separate home run derby for pitchers. Fuck this is NOT what we want haha

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
You need to learn the definition of correlation.  In the words of Hannity, "Let me educate you..."

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=define+correlation

Yes, it meets the definition. 

But hey, rage on all you wish.
The point is, there is little connection "correlation" besides just the fact that they were similar at one point in their careers.  It's a mere coincidence.

Now if BumGarner starts hitting the next 4 years and becomes an outfielder, then there' correlation, but right now it's just one small sample of a noticeable coincidence.

Correlation indicates connections, and connections that get stronger and stronger in numbers and relevance.  There's only one instance here, so if there is a correlation, it's very small if at all.  I wouldn't even call it one because MadBum isn't a hitter like Babe Ruth.  Apples to oranges right there.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:

I think its fair to compare, if you consider it seriously, he is one of the greatest two-way players since Ruth. I cant think of many great hitting pitchers except for Mike Hampton and Rick Ankiel. 

Is it just me or do the stats say he's hitting .147 with two homeruns?  I don't call that Babe Ruth.

Knowing this, I wouldn't even bother with the homerun derby.  This has to be a joke.

brett05

Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:

I think its fair to compare, if you consider it seriously, he is one of the greatest two-way players since Ruth. I cant think of many great hitting pitchers except for Mike Hampton and Rick Ankiel. 
Carlos Zambrano

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
The point is, there is little connection "correlation" besides just the fact that they were similar at one point in their careers.  It's a mere coincidence.

Now if BumGarner starts hitting the next 4 years and becomes an outfielder, then there' correlation, but right now it's just one small sample of a noticeable coincidence.

Correlation indicates connections, and connections that get stronger and stronger in numbers and relevance.  There's only one instance here, so if there is a correlation, it's very small if at all.  I wouldn't even call it one because MadBum isn't a hitter like Babe Ruth.  Apples to oranges right there.
They both have like 2200 innings pitched.  It's a very big correlation and the connection is pretty clear.  You keep putting on your "Babe Ruth became a great offensive force as an OF" glasses on.  Stop that.  No one is saying that.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
They both have like 2200 innings pitched.  It's a very big correlation and the connection is pretty clear.  You keep putting on your "Babe Ruth became a great offensive force as an OF" glasses on.  Stop that.  No one is saying that.
As pitchers, I can see that.

As batters (which I thought you were primarily comparing them), no way.  

If you were just looking at them as pitchers, why did you use the basis of Madison Bumgarner as a hitter?  

Way to judge me man.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this would be cool

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
As pitchers, I can see that.

As batters (which I thought you were primarily comparing them), no way.  

If you were just looking at them as pitchers, why did you use the basis of Madison Bumgarner as a hitter?  

Way to judge me man.
I'm not sure if you have a massive reading issue but you certainly do with this topic.

I am specifically speaking of Babe Ruth and MadBum as hitters when days they pitched.  That is all that is being compared.  Nothing more than that.  The correlation is just that.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
I'm not sure if you have a massive reading issue but you certainly do with this topic.

I am specifically speaking of Babe Ruth and MadBum as hitters when days they pitched.  That is all that is being compared.  Nothing more than that.  The correlation is just that.
Yeah, but they are completely different hitters, so there's no correlation in my opinion.  Every NL pitcher hits, so how is MadBum different, especially when his average hovers around .100, which is nothing comparable to Ruth as a pitcher?

And thanks for your unkind comments, I'm leaving this forum for now because people like you try to shove stuff down my throat without trying to understand.  I'm sick of people telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY DISAGREE.  I've had it.  So screw this forum.

That's what you want anyway, (for me to leave) so you get what you want rather than have me waste my time here.  I'd sit and argue my point clearer, but no one seems to care, and I have a life, one that doesn't need to be constantly wasted here.  I deal with enough in life (and no, I don't hawk this forum, I only get a little time each day to come here and then people ruin it for me).

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Yeah, but they are completely different hitters, so there's no correlation in my opinion.  Every NL pitcher hits, so how is MadBum different, especially when his average hovers around .100, which is nothing comparable to Ruth as a pitcher?

And thanks for your unkind comments, I'm leaving this forum for now because people like you try to shove stuff down my throat without trying to understand.  I'm sick of people telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY DISAGREE.  I've had it.  So screw this forum.

That's what you want anyway, (for me to leave) so you get what you want rather than have me waste my time here.  I'd sit and argue my point clearer, but no one seems to care, and I have a life, one that doesn't need to be constantly wasted here.  I deal with enough in life (and no, I don't hawk this forum, I only get a little time each day to come here and then people ruin it for me).
My words were specifically about this subtopic about Mad Bum's power to Ruth's power when they both pitched.  My comment about your reading ability was specifically on that.  I did provide you an option to make it bigger if you wished.

If you wish to go you can, but I think you are being silly about it.  I would not ask you to stop posting, but that is ultimately up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%