Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've got a mid-late 1st on him.

Not even close to being top 5 imo.

TTN2810

Reaction score
All I've heard is Geno Atkins 2.0

EDIT
And c'mon, give him a break, at 6'0 and 3/4 he's 6'1 haha. As is Atkins.

TTN2810

Reaction score
My QB rankings right now. Will probably update once more before the draft.
  1. JOHNNY MANZIEL, TEXAS A&M
  2. ZACH METTENBERGER, LSU 
  3. TEDDY BRIDGEWATER, LOUISVILLE
  4. DAVID FALES, SAN JOSE ST. 
  5. AARON MURRAY, GEORGIA
  6. DEREK CARR, FRESNO ST.
  7. BLAKE BORTLES, UCF 
  8. JIMMY GAROPPOLO, NIU
  9. LOGAN THOMAS, VIRGINIA TECH
  10. TAJH BOYD, CLEMSON
  11. TOM SAVAGE, PITT
  12. KEITH WENNING, BALL ST.
  13. AJ McCARRON, ALABAMA
  14. CONNOR SHAW, SO. CAROLINA
  15. BRETT SMITH, WYOMING 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Watching Carr a lot more in depth, and wow. I understand how some teams can see him as the top QB in this draft.

His accuracy isn't great, but his understanding for the game and his communication levels with his teammates is unreal. He will be a killer in hurry up games.

I wanna know why you have him below Bridgewater, TTN. I'm not even going off this Bridgewater falling BS- I still really like him. But Carr is REALLY good

TTN2810

Reaction score
Oooh this is the draft talk I love haha. Where to start with this..

I do like Carr, I'll start by saying that, and the fact I think he has the most potential as a pure passer out of anyone in the class, including Mettenberger. I also actually disagree with that fact that his accuracy isn't great. It's just inconsistent. Aside from Mettenberger, in my opinion, Carr has the best accuracy 20+ yards down the field in the class (in terms of on a rope throws, not counting the deep ball), but only when his feet are right. And that is my huge issue with Carr. His feet need so much work, and it's definitely tied into some other issues he has as well. He has fine enough pocket presence to move around and step up, but when he's forced to throw from a muddy pocket, he really isn't the same guy. His feet aren't connected to the rest of his body, and he gets excited and throws from some crazy stances which results in some huge throws being missed, and I worry that isn't a fixable trait. The other thing is, is when he does constantly get pressured and when things aren't going his way, he tended to just fold a little bit. I'm not a teammate and don't have any inside info, so I'm not going to put much weight on that, but that's certainly what the film showed in a couple games.

On to Bridgewater. Jake and I have previously pointed out he throws some crazy wobbly ducks out there, but I think he has arm strength to be harnessed. His mechanics can be improved in terms of stepping into his throws more and transferring his weight more efficiently. He's shown flashes of being able to get a real nice amount of zip on the ball, so I don't have any issues there. I have no accuracy issues at all either with him. Where he really set's himself from Carr, IMO, is his pocket manipulation and the ability to take the game into his own hands. While Carr might be faster than Teddy, Carr has heavy feet and isn't agile, Teddy is crazy slippery. I don't think he's the type of QB who you can just shut down. He doesn't get rattled from the blitz, and is smart enough to get rid of the ball quick, or athletic enough to escape and make a big play out of it. He isn't great at anything really, but he's very good at everything. To me, he's Alex Smith Plus. He's also shown he can make big plays in big games when it needs to be done, which isn't something Carr was too consistent with.

I've been saying it for a while now that it's going to come down to if you want that physically gifted high potential QB, or if you want a safer guy without great physical attributes, but is able to succeed with in other ways. Looking at my rankings, I think you can tell where I'm leaning. When I look at the best QB's in the league, (Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rodgers) none of these guys necessarily have the best physical attributes, but find other ways to be great, and I think Bridgewater can be the same way. His potential isn't necessarily quantifiable, and he may just turn out and develop into a really good QB. And if he doesn't, at worst I think he's Alex Smith. He definitely has the highest floor out of anyone, IMO, which is another huge reason I have him at #3.

There really isn't a good comparison for Carr's ceiling in terms of a similar type QB who's actually great. But he just reminds me so much of Jake Locker, and I think that's his floor. Good smart guy, tons of potential, great leader, but can that accuracy and pocket issues be fixed? It's a huge question mark for me, and something I'm not sure of at this point.

That is something that can be addressed post draft, because looking at team fits/situations is something that is almost as important as how good these guys are.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Does TenYardTorrents still exist, and if so, is it still impossible to create an account?

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I was watching some some Mett film against Mississippi State, and all I could notice was how amazing Chris Jones (MSU DE) is, lol.  The kid was a freshman, and he was mauling that offensive line.  Turns out, he was a blue chip recruit.  #2 DE prospect in 2013.  Genuine talent really does jump out at you on the defensive side of the ball... especially in the trenches.  

I love scouting DL guys tho... I'm not great at evaluating QBs or DBs, mainly because I'm not well versed on coverage schemes, but I thoroughly enjoy watching front seven players.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If you're looking for games I'd suggest noonkick.com. Don't even need to download anything.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wanna punch Roger Goodell or whoever the fuck thought it was a good idea to push the draft back.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
On a side note, I have no idea what the Browns are gonna do.

TTN2810

Reaction score
"Don't be surprised if Zach Mettenberger ends up the best QB in this draft." - Chris Collinsworth

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's at least one "reminds me of Wes Welker" guy in every draft.  

TTN2810

Reaction score
He doesn't remind me of Welker though, reminds me more of Kendall Wright.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Right, but that's what everyone else says.  Every short, white slot receiver gets the Welker tag.  It's the lazy comparison.  Shit annoys me.

It also annoys me when black QBs always get black QB comparisons and vice versa, which is why I liked your Alex Smith=Teddy comparison.  I think that was you, anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%