Official Mets 2009 Season Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
lol, I just thought this was funny. At first I was leaning to the no dont get him crowd. But the more I think about it, we really need a cleanup hitter after Delgado leaves and Manny could address that for the next 2 years.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Ivan Rodriguez, the 14-time All-Star catcher who remains an unsigned free agent, said on Sunday that his options might have come down to three teams -- or none.
Speaking to the Associated Press, Rodriguez listed his choices as the Marlins, Astros or Mets.

Or none of the above. Rodriguez also suggested he may "need to stay patient," implying that a contract may not be forthcoming before the start of the season.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
Pudge going from NYY to Free Agent to NYM... If Man-Ram and Pudge go to NYM, I might be a mets fan again... Though my reason for disliking them is because I was born in the Bronx

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Why dont you continue liking the yankees?

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
I will still like the Yankees. They play in my town of birth. I respect the Mets however. I'm just not much of a Mets fan. It's basically like this, they play in my Home state, so I've got nothing against them. You'll just never catch me at one of their games unless it's the Subway Series. They have a pretty good and young roster. They have what it takes to be at the top of the NL. They have all the right tools, now they just have to use them properly. Same for the Yankees. We have all the right tools, and roids (j/k) to make it to the top. Problem is, we don't know how to use them. I personally think that The Subway Series, could be called "The World Series" if both teams correctly used the tools that are given to them. I mean, a team with the worst athletes ever, could probably win the World Series if they figured out the Pros and Cons/Strenghts and Weaknesses of each and every player. Sports are simple, you may be a horrible player, but if you have a passion for what your're doing, and you give it your best effort, (take KG5's words) anything is possible.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Daniel Murphy's outfield internship is now complete. Mets manager Jerry Manuel revealed that much Sunday, saying that Murphy will be the team's regular left fielder heading into the season, rather than remain in a platoon with Fernando Tatis.
More likely, the platoon will come in right, between the right-handed-hitting Tatis and the left-handed-hitting Ryan Church.
Thank you! Great move by Jerry letting the young gun a shot at it. We need more youth on this ballclub and I know Murphy is going to do great. He is the real deal.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
"When you take tests that names are never supposed to come out and that trust is betrayed, that's obviously a concern," Mets third baseman David Wright said. "But the union right now is unified about making sure that we continue to have a solid drug testing program, and that we do weed out all the cheaters and the guys that try to bend the rules."
Nice comment by Wright about steroids.

iTz DaNgLe

Reaction score
good move mets. Since A-Rod is a doo doo face, Wright is prob the best 3rd baseman now. and they scored 18 runs in 2 spring games. thats amazing. Jose reyes grand slam and beltran hr..

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- If Johan Santana is unable to start the Mets' first game -- and the chance of that has increased at least marginally since he developed tightness in his pitching elbow -- his love for his country may be the genesis of the problem. Patriotism could be the reason, pitching coach Dan Warthen said Saturday morning after Santana laid out a scenario that might push his first exhibition-game start into the third week of March.
Warthen believes Santana's desire to pitch for his native Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic prompted the Mets' primary starter to "push too hard" to prepare, and that the tightness that Santana now feels behind his left elbow is a result of the push.
We NEED him ready at the beginning of the year. We need to start hot and have a nice stretch to get a nice groove and momentum.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Now that the Mets know exactly when Johan Santana will pitch in Spring Training, it also seems they know when he won't pitch in the regular season -- Opening Day. And that's a full-fledged maybe. If rain doesn't interfere with the exhibition game schedule established Tuesday by pitching coach Dan Warthen, Santana is likely to pitch at some point in the first week. Opening Day isn't likely. But neither Santana nor his coach discounted the possibility.
Each thought it was far more important that the pitcher had experienced no recurrence of the left elbow stiffness that was the genesis of the uncertainty in the two days since his 31-pitch bullpen season. And to worry about precisely when Santana will pitch in the regular season was a case of putting the start before the horse.
Kind of nervous about this, I think it is due to his strain to get rdy for the WBC which made him prepare harder and earlier than normal. Looks like Pelfrey will start the opener against the Reds.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- The assignment was to pitch an inning of relief Monday and Tuesday. And Duaner Sanchez found that odd at this stage of Spring Training.
"I've never done that," he said Monday afternoon. And by afternoon Tuesday, he still hadn't. Rather than watch another inning from a pitcher they no longer regarded as the asset he once was, the Mets released Sanchez early Tuesday.
I think we shouldve kept him and atleast see what he had left. But if his stuff was that bad in ST then I guess it was the right move. He was just so good in 06 that I think he deserved one more year.

robu723

Reaction score
Guy gets in a car wreck then gets released. You guys know a thing about sympathy that's for sure. :D

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
mets on MLB network vs the Braves. Tatis just hit a HR so 2-0.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Not to brag, but I feel we have the best broadcasting group in baseball. With Gary Cohen, Ron Darling, and Keith Hernandez.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- The Mets optioned left-hander Jon Niese to the Minor Leagues on Friday, effectively handing the fifth starter's role to Livan Hernandez.
The Mets also optioned catcher Robinson Cancel and right-handed pitcher Connor Robertson to the Minors, and reassigned right-handers Kyle Snyder and Matt DeSalvo, and lefties Jon Switzer, Heriberto Rueles, and Casey Fossum, to Minor League camp.

Niese, 22, produced a 6.75 ERA in three Grapefruit League starts, competing with Hernandez, Freddy Garcia and Tim Redding for the fifth starter's job. But his age and his struggles, along with Hernandez's pristine spring, conspired to place him temporarily outside the Mets' plans.

"I'm disappointed, not at anyone but myself," Niese said. "It's just one of those things."

Hernandez, 34, has produced a 3.07 ERA in five appearances this spring, allowing 14 hits in 14 2/3 innings. His effectiveness has necessitated the need for more innings, which the Mets will better be able to provide with Niese out of the picture. And though Hernandez is still competing with Garcia to be the fifth starter, Garcia's struggles -- a 16.71 ERA in four spring outings -- have made him a long shot to make the club. Redding, who has been experiencing weakness in his pitching shoulder, was shut down last week.

Niese, meanwhile, remains the team's top left-handed pitching prospect, and will almost assuredly see time with the Mets this season.

"I thought he had a very good camp," general manager Omar Minaya said.
Im happy with having Livan as our #5. Niese is a young kid and he will mature and become a good pitcher just now is not his time. Livan has pitched pretty good and it will be great for us.

Ollie will make this staff special if he can get his mechanics down.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Who's got tickets to see the Mets at Citi on April 16th?

THIS GUY, that's who.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Damn you, SOB!! lol, have fun. Do you have yankees tickets?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damn you, SOB!! lol, have fun. Do you have yankees tickets?
I've already got tickets for the home series against the Twins in mid-May and will most likely end up at more games than those 2. I really wanted to be at Yankee Stadium on the 16th but I refuse to pay out the ass for bleacher seats.

Yankee tickets are hard to come by right now & the only reason I've got tickets for a couple games in May is b/c I happened to know a season ticket holder.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
How much did the mets tickets cost you and where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%