Cardinals Acquire Marcell Ozuna from Marlins

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score

The Cardinals have struck a deal to acquire outfielder Marcell Ozuna from the Marlins, according to Craig Mish of MLB Network Radio (via Twitter). MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez confirms the move on Twitter but notes it is pending a physical. Indications earlier today were that the deal was moving closer, and it has evidently now been completed.

Ozuna, who turned 27 earlier in the offseason, is projected by MLBTR to earn $10.9MM in his second-to-last season of arbitration eligibility. At his age and with his track record of productivity, that’s a bargain rate of pay — which, no doubt, will be reflected in the still-unknown trade return for Miami.

While the teams had attempted to line up on a deal for slugger Giancarlo Stanton, those efforts were nixed when Stanton declined to waive his no-trade clause to go to St. Louis. But the talks weren’t for naught: they also paved the way to today’s reported agreement on Ozuna, who has no trade protections.

The Cardinals have looked far and wide for bats this winter as they seek to consolidate a broad group of talent into a few more premium lineup pieces. Ozuna certainly represents the top-end bat they were in search of — at least, that is, so long as he can replicate something like his 2017 output.

In the just-finished campaign, Ozuna drove the ball out of the yard 37 times, carried a personal-high 9.4% walk rate, and ended with an appealing .312/.376/.548 slash line over 679 plate appearances.

Per MLBTR

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Contract the Marlins, send em to Montrael

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
37 homers, 124 RBI's and at a fraction of the cost of Stanton.... yep, I'd say they did good.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
I wanted Ozuna or Yelich on the Red Sox... much better acquisition than JD Martinez or Hosmer.  1 down, who knows about the other.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Jeter is so far over his head, the Marlins have no clue what they are doing.

They got Ozuna and Stanton for pennies on the dollar. Good for the Cardinals for getting Ozuna at this price. I am sure he will regress a little bit, he had a very high BABIP and fly ball rate. Plus he won't have the MVP in the lineup with him. Still a great move though. If I'm Yelich I demand a trade. This team could have competed next season if they went out and signed some pitching, but instead they want to save some dollars.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Can't fault Jeter when the Marlins turn little-to-no-profit. Getting rid of Stanton was basically washing his hands clean of a massive contract they couldn't afford. Ozuna trade did net a decent haul from the Cardinals. I think they're trying to talk Yelich into staying in Miami and serving as the poster boy. Team is trying to rebuild the Farm quick.

All seems bizarre now, but I think Jeet stabilizes the club and progressively makes them into a bigger attraction. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%