2017-2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

catman

Reaction score
Were I Stanton, I would contact Jeter to see where he fits in the Marlins future plans.  If Jeter says that the team wants to build around him, he should stay.  Stanton is saying all the right things now saying that he wants to stay.  His teammates don't want to hear that he wants to bail on them.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I don't think he is worth it. He only hit over 30 homeruns twice in his career.
Thing is he's capable of it. But 4 years: 123 games, 158, 120, 119. That's why he won't get 7.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
catman said:
Were I Stanton, I would contact Jeter to see where he fits in the Marlins future plans.  If Jeter says that the team wants to build around him, he should stay.  Stanton is saying all the right things now saying that he wants to stay.  His teammates don't want to hear that he wants to bail on them.
I'm sure they've already talked. Regardless of what he wants, he clearly doesn't fit in to their future plan.

Edit: yea, wow, I was way off on that.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Thing is he's capable of it. But 4 years: 123 games, 158, 120, 119. That's why he won't get 7.
I don't think he's even worth signing 20 million a year for 4 years.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Id easily give him 20x4. Even if that last year is a bust, you still get crazy value in years 1-3.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Id easily give him 20x4. Even if that last year is a bust, you still get crazy value in years 1-3.
If he doesn't hit more than 30 homeruns, he's not worth it.  I'd rather go for Stanton.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jd is an awesome hitter but giving that kind of money to a bat only guy would be a nightmare.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mariners are serious about making a run at Ohtani. Acquired more international FA pool signing space from the White Sox

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
It's gonna come down to other factors. If money mattered he would wait 2 more years.

But mariners will probably have an edge on most.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
It's gonna come down to other factors. If money mattered he would wait 2 more years.
But mariners will probably have an edge on most.
The Mariners moved themselves up in the IFA Bonus pool bracket. Remember MLb now essentially has a hard cap on what teams can spend in a year. It’s a cap based on market size and money teams can trade away or acquire. Current bracket is below, not counting today’s Mariners trade. Teams with * are in a penalty year for overspending last season. Teams in penalty can sign IFAs but not for more than $300k per.

$5.75 Million
Arizona Diamondbacks
Baltimore Orioles
Cleveland Indians
Colorado Rockies
Kansas City Royals*
Pittsburgh Pirates
St. Louis Cardinals*
San Diego Padres*

$5.25 Million
Cincinnati Reds*
Miami Marlins
Milwaukee Brewers
Minnesota Twins
Oakland Athletics*
Tampa Bay Rays

$4.75 Million
Atlanta Braves*
Boston Red Sox
Chicago Cubs*
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Tigers
Houston Astros*
Los Angeles Angels
Los Angeles Dodgers*
New York Mets
New York Yankees
Philadelphia Phillies
San Francisco Giants*
Seattle Mariners
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals*

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Thanks for the list but it was absolutely unnecessary. I said the mariners have a strong chance but where he signs won't have to do with who can give him the biggest bonus. It'll be other factors - one factor that gives the mariners an edge is theyir history of signing Japanese players. Yankees might have an edge because of Tanaka. Cities like NY, LA or Chicago mmight convince him on the market and potential endorsements. He wants to hit and pitch- some team in a pitchers park might be willing to let him play the field once or twice a week. Who the fuck knows.

Dude could wait 2 years and get $150M, probably more - but he's not. It's not about getting a little more money.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Also have no idea where you got that list. I read two days ago the most that he can get is I think $3.5M and only 1 or two teams can give him that.

The $300k per part also means nothing. It's a minor league deal. He'll get the league minimum for 3 years.

Edit: obviously some team's have acquired some pool space since, but this is what I saw a week ago: https://sports.yahoo.com/rangers-most-spend-shohei-otani-193054646.html

"The Texas Rangers can offer two-way Japan League star Shohei Otani the maximum signing bonus allowed, $3.535 million, under current rules governing international free-agent signings, The Associated Press reported, citing figures compiled by MLB.
The Yankees ($3.25 million) and Twins ($3.245 million) can offer almost as much, but only three other teams the Pirates, Marlins and Mariners can offer him a seven-figure bonus, according to the MLB figures that The AP obtained. Most other teams are severely limited in how much they could offer."

PS. This guy could get +$150M in two years from now, but instead he's going to play for MUCH less for 6 years.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Also have no idea where you got that list. I read two days ago the most that he can get is I think $3.5M and only 1 or two teams can give him that.
The $300k per part also means nothing. It's a minor league deal. He'll get the league minimum for 3 years.
Edit: obviously some team's have acquired some pool space since, but this is what I saw a week ago: https://sports.yahoo.com/rangers-most-spend-shohei-otani-193054646.html
"The Texas Rangers can offer two-way Japan League star Shohei Otani the maximum signing bonus allowed, $3.535 million, under current rules governing international free-agent signings, The Associated Press reported, citing figures compiled by MLB.
The Yankees ($3.25 million) and Twins ($3.245 million) can offer almost as much, but only three other teams the Pirates, Marlins and Mariners can offer him a seven-figure bonus, according to the MLB figures that The AP obtained. Most other teams are severely limited in how much they could offer."
PS. This guy could get +$150M in two years from now, but instead he's going to play for MUCH less for 6 years.
I pulled that list from Baseball America’s Site. It was labeled 2017-18 and then I just caught it was posted in Dec 2016, so I don’t know. I do Know Ohtani isn’t coming to MLB this year if a new posting agreement isn’t made by Monday.

I get your idea of Ohtani waiting till he’s 25 to come over but he’s young, eager, and stands to make way more playing in MLB regardless. If he’s as good as advertised, it won’t take long for him to be making close to $19M per in Arb years. Consider his endorsement opportunities both Home and abroad. He’s also from a much more disciplined culture than ours. Its not like Ohtani feels like he needs 2 homes, 10 cars, and to make it rain at the strip clubs right now. The kid wants to play ball with the best of the best.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
"I get your idea of Ohtani waiting till hes 25 to come over but hes young, eager, and stands to make way more playing in MLB regardless"

I never suggested he should wait.

My point was I keep seeing people talk about who can offer the most signing bonus. But he's leaving a TON of money on the table - so he's not going to sign with one team over another because of $2M.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
"I get your idea of Ohtani waiting till hes 25 to come over but hes young, eager, and stands to make way more playing in MLB regardless"
I never suggested he should wait.
My point was I keep seeing people talk about who can offer the most signing bonus. But he's leaving a TON of money on the table - so he's not going to sign with one team over another because of $2M.
Definitely. The IFA process was certainly altered to keep the big markets from monopolizing. Still, teams likes the Yankees will always have an edge bc they’ve spent a lot to spread the brand around the globe.

I still believe w/e team signs Darvish will have an edge on the aohtani market. He apparently views Darvish as somewhat of a mentor.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
John Hart resigns from his post in Braves front office. Not a surprise.

catman

Reaction score
No surprise here.  Maybe he'll go back to MLB Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%