Which city needs a NFL team?

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
Which city would be a good place for a NFL team?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Vegas and Portland would be interesting

Boogie

Hard Cap Issues
Reaction score
I'd like too see a Portland team.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
I'd love to see the NFL expand into Canada. Toronto would be a great place. 

Mr. X

Reaction score
I love expansion talk no matter the sport. In the NFL, I would say 3 Cities truly stand out to me as places they could expand

1. Portland and by a pretty wide margin. The Portland metro area has a population of 2,389,228 people that ranks 23rd in the country. To go with that there is a $46,090 median household income that ranks 41st in the country. With only the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA and to a lesser extent the Portland Timbers of the MLS competing with them and most of it is out of the NFL season, Portland could absolutely support and NFL team.

2. Then it's Virginia Beach. Of course, Washington has a Virginia covered by fan base, but it's not easy drive to get to Landover from Virginia Beach. it's far enough way to create it's own fan base with a metro population that ranks 37th at 1,724,876. Their median income is $42,448. With no competing professional sports teams, they can support it.

3. Lastly I would say Salt Lake City, Utah. The biggest problem is that Sunday is for Church in Utah, not for football, but considering how they support BYU and Utah football, and how they support the Jazz, I think Salt Lake City has enough people to support an NFL team. Salt Lake city is the smallest market of the three with a 1,170,266 metro population at 47th in the country, but is the richest, at 21st with a median income of $48,594.

Providence/Hartford, Oklahoma City, Omaha and Albuquerque would be interesting options too

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
As a CT native, Hartford does not need an NFL team. Enough fan split between the Pats, Giants, and Jets as it is

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Toronto would be pretty cool, that's about it really. The NFL can be successful in just about any market

HitmanCapone

Reaction score
Oklahoma City, Vegas, Toronto & Mexico City would be my first 4 choices 

Portland, Omaha, Louisville & Birmingham would be my 2nd set to finish the expansion.

If the NFL does expand I believe it'll be a total of 8 teams, obviously not all at once but with 4 divisions you'd want 1 team per division

NFCN - Toronto
NFCS - Oklahoma City
NFCE - Birmingham
NFCW - Vegas

AFCN - Omaha
AFCS - Mexico City
AFCE - Louisville
AFCW - Portland

I've been talking about this for years but never got to assigning teams to divisions.  I'm a big fan of expansion and think they should add 2 new teams every other year until they end up adding 8 more teams and it definitely would create more rivalries just my opinion though

CoachAF

Reaction score
San Antonio has been mentioned the last few times relocation has popped up. I think it would be a good market for football. Texans are crazy about football.

HitmanCapone

Reaction score
CoachAF said:
San Antonio has been mentioned the last few times relocation has popped up. I think it would be a good market for football. Texans are crazy about football.
Texas has enough teams as it is and is the reason I left them and a few other states off my list.  If Texas was guaranteed another football team I'd personally rather see one in Austin

CoachAF

Reaction score
HitmanCapone said:
Texas has enough teams as it is and is the reason I left them and a few other states off my list.  If Texas was guaranteed another football team I'd personally rather see one in Austin

????? California has 4 teams, Texas can definitely handle 3. Austin? Since it's only an hour away from San Antonio, I guess it's not as huge a deal, but there's not enough corporate money in Austin to support a pro team on their own. Dell is nice, but there's more corporate money and population in San Antonio. Plus, any team in San Antonio would be well supported by the Austin area as well. Texas has a population of 26 million which is more than all the other states those cities belong to altogether (except Toronto/MC). Come on, Birmingham and Omaha are a joke right? I was born and partially raised in Alabama. NOBODY there wants an NFL team. They have the Tide and the Tigers. There's a reason the state has ZERO pro teams: Low population/low interest. The economy in Omaha and Nebraska as a whole is depressed and has been for some time. There's no way a farming state has the corporate support to run an NFL franchise. 

You cant just look at the largest city in a state and say they can have an NFL team. I'll give you Vegas and Mexico City as viable options (I know the NFL has it's eye on Europe too). But San Antonio is a viable location and should have a franchise ahead of most of the cities on your list. 

CoachAF

Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:
Toronto would be a great place

I wonder how the existing CFL team that plays there would factor into this. Would it be viewed as a conflict of interest, or since the seasons are opposite of each other can they co-exist? I'm not sure of the legalities there, but Toronto is an interesting idea. 

Mr. X

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
As a CT native, Hartford does not need an NFL team. Enough fan split between the Pats, Giants, and Jets as it is
From a pure logistics standpoint it's interesting based on the population and income available to pick from, but yes, it is kind of flooded right now with three teams competing in the market. At the same time, it's like Virginia, Washington might have Virginia but they could make a shift over the their own team. Think about the Ravens, most people in Baltimore changed over from Washington to the Ravens almost immediately.

You have to look at money available too. Just because a place is small it doesn't mean it doesn't have the money to support a team.

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
Mr. X said:
I love expansion talk no matter the sport. In the NFL, I would say 3 Cities truly stand out to me as places they could expand

1. Portland and by a pretty wide margin. The Portland metro area has a population of 2,389,228 people that ranks 23rd in the country. To go with that there is a $46,090 median household income that ranks 41st in the country. With only the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA and to a lesser extent the Portland Timbers of the MLS competing with them and most of it is out of the NFL season, Portland could absolutely support and NFL team.

2. Then it's Virginia Beach. Of course, Washington has a Virginia covered by fan base, but it's not easy drive to get to Landover from Virginia Beach. it's far enough way to create it's own fan base with a metro population that ranks 37th at 1,724,876. Their median income is $42,448. With no competing professional sports teams, they can support it.

3. Lastly I would say Salt Lake City, Utah. The biggest problem is that Sunday is for Church in Utah, not for football, but considering how they support BYU and Utah football, and how they support the Jazz, I think Salt Lake City has enough people to support an NFL team. Salt Lake city is the smallest market of the three with a 1,170,266 metro population at 47th in the country, but is the richest, at 21st with a median income of $48,594.

Providence/Hartford, Oklahoma City, Omaha and Albuquerque would be interesting options too

The Utah bit is true about church, but there are alot of non Mormons in Utah that would go to every game on Sundays, and the rest will watch the games at home, after they get off of church.  So I think Salt Lake would still be a good place to have a new team.

Can't wait to see a team in Vegas or somewhere in Nevada.  I'm surprise its taken this long.

No more teams in California, Texas, or Florida.  There needs to be one team per state from now on. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%