What Should the Red Sox do with Porcello?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
DFA him or at least trade him, but good luck with that contract.

I know this won't happen, but it should happen. This guy is the biggest waste of money on this team, right up there with Fat Panda.

He gives up at least 3 earned runs a game with at least six to ten hits a game. The guy is completely hittable. I wouldn't be surprised if he gives up more than 220 hits this season.

Plus, everyone in Boston overrates the guy just because he had a good season last year. Honestly though, Verlander was better and more consistently better than Rick Porcello will ever be. It was an anamoly he pitched so well last year.

I'd rather get rid of this guy than expect an outing where he gives up multiple runs every time. No sense living on the edge of your seat when more logical options are out there.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
lol dude you gotta stop

how is there a better option than porcello out there? Fister literally lost us the game yesterday, and whos the next best out there Kyle Kendrick??

Youre trying WAY too hard to be that overly-contrarian about your own team in an effort to not seem like a homer, and its just extremely annoying. Sox fans like myself and PTT dont want to hear it because its just false, and nobody else wants to hear about the Sox on a daily basis, period.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
lol dude you gotta stop

how is there a better option than porcello out there? Fister literally lost us the game yesterday, and whos the next best out there Kyle Kendrick??

Youre trying WAY too hard to be that overly-contrarian about your own team in an effort to not seem like a homer, and its just extremely annoying. Sox fans like myself and PTT dont want to hear it because its just false, and nobody else wants to hear about the Sox on a daily basis, period.
I actually like Fister. Honestly, if Rick Porcello came in the game yesterday, it would have been over just as easy.

Thing is, Fister has had some stints where he's been really really good and some where he's also been bad. In my opinion, it's better than Porcello who guarantees mediocrity.

Fister also costs us much much less. Porcello's price tag is awful, and we can thank Ben Cherington for that.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Honestly, most Sox fans on here were pretty critical of Porcello last season. In fact, I think most Sox fans know Porcello isn't that great. 

And you don't just DFA a guy with that kind of contract. You suck it up for a while and hope he plays well enough at some point that you can trade him, whether it be in the offseason or next July. But you don't trade him now because his value is extremely low. And you don't DFA him because you get no value in return. 

I get that you're critical of your first-place, probably going to win the AL East team, but you have to know this idea is absurd and makes no sense. 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Honestly, most Sox fans on here were pretty critical of Porcello last season. In fact, I think most Sox fans know Porcello isn't that great. 

And you don't just DFA a guy with that kind of contract. You suck it up for a while and hope he plays well enough at some point that you can trade him, whether it be in the offseason or next July. But you don't trade him now because his value is extremely low. And you don't DFA him because you get no value in return. 

I get that you're critical of your first-place, probably going to win the AL East team, but you have to know this idea is absurd and makes no sense. 
Why is it absurd?  I can name a ton of pitchers who we can trade for, call up, or get off the market that would be just as effective as Porcello for a far lower cost.  It's not just about the performance, it's about the money attached to the performance.

I don't think Cherington was that bad with every deal he made.  He was 50-50, but with this deal, he messed up big time.  Time to cut the hindrance loose and go a cheaper, easier route.  I can guarantee there's someone out there who's better than Porcello and costs less.

And, there was a thread for Pablo Sandoval DFA'd, so why can't we have one for this?  It certainly lends to discussion, which is what we need in the forum to keep it active.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Sandoval was ACTUALLY dfa'ed. It was news.
Good point, but still.  Topics lead to discussion.  

If it makes you feel any better, a mod can merge this topic with another.  I'm fine with that.

But I wanted to make a point loud and clear that Porcello should be DFA'd.

Probably better to have a thread for "Trades and/or Roster Changes" and throw this in there.  I'm cool with that.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this thread is fine. its in the discussion forum and its generating discussion

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
We should just have a running PWNdroia hates the Red Sox thread

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
We should just have a running PWNdroia hates the Red Sox thread
That would be inaccurate because I don't hate the Red Sox.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Like Pugz said, this thread is fine. I'm always down for discussion, so I appreciate you generating it.

But damn this idea is absurd. We aren't DFA'ing Porcello. Sure he's not worth his contract, but he's still been worth 1.9 wins this year and will likely end up being worth 3. You can do worse. A lot.

Plus think of all the dead money we'd have (on this season alone and not including following years):

Craig - $11,000,000
Sandoval - $17,000,000
Castillo - $10,500,000
Porcello - $20,000,000

Good luck persuading John Henry to add another $20,000,000 in dead money for this season alone. 

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If you want discussion the thread should be "What should the Red Sox do with Rick Porcello?" That generates discussion. There is virtually no chance they DFA Porcello, and for a multitude of reasons. Twelve replies saying that, and/or "it's never going to happen", isn't really a discussion. Now, in the interest of fairness, I'm not trying to get this thread closed or whatever. Just trying to prove a point on discussion.

Regardless, Porcello isn't the reason this team can't drive in a runner in scoring position. Fix that issue and then fix the issue of your #3 starters struggles...

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
The problem is this isn't like the NFL where the money is unguaranteed. DFA'ing Sandoval is one thing, but DFA'ing both him and Porcello is a LOT for the owners to pay out. So I'm not sure how this would be a cheaper option. 

I'm not against this thread by any means; I'm all for increased discussion. I'm against the idea of DFA'ing him. I think it would be smarter to hang on to him - maybe he has a decent summer, one or two good performances in the postseason - that raises his value - that makes him tradeable. 

If there was a really good pitching option out there - and they needed to clear up a spot on the 40-man roster, then I could MAYBE see the Sox going this route, but I don't think it really makes all that much sense. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Main reason we DFA'd Sandoval was because he was a negative defender, couldn't hit, and was a cancer to the team.

Porcello could at worst be used as a long reliever. He's not even in the discussion of being cut

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Plus he's struggled long enough/missed enough games due to injury for it to make sense. With Porcello he still could turn things around and be a decent #4 or #5 pitcher, or as you said a solid player out of the bullpen. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
The Guid said:
If you want discussion the thread should be "What should the Red Sox do with Rick Porcello?" That generates discussion. There is virtually no chance they DFA Porcello, and for a multitude of reasons. Twelve replies saying that, and/or "it's never going to happen", isn't really a discussion. Now, in the interest of fairness, I'm not trying to get this thread closed or whatever. Just trying to prove a point on discussion.

Regardless, Porcello isn't the reason this team can't drive in a runner in scoring position. Fix that issue and then fix the issue of your #3 starters struggles...
This was my point

But just think PWN, it could always be worse. Thank god you don't have Ubaldo Jimenez

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
The Guid said:

Good point, that's a better topic name. I would be okay using him out of the bullpen, in a mop up role mostly.

I realize Porcello isn't responsible for our offensive woes, but he's not a clear solution either.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Porcello's still going to provide you with 200 okay innings on a yearly basis though. Pitchers like him have value. Maybe not worth 20 mil a year, but not everybody in your rotation is going to perform like Chris Sale anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%