World Baseball Classic

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
FYI Hosmer is complete poo.

He was a negative win player and his defence also sucks, outside of saving bad throws.

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
This kinda spiraled out of control and I'm going to just sum up what I've been trying to say. 

This started out with this quote:

I decided to look at this from the perspective of an MLB team. Maybe you're the Miami Marlins and you have a player like Giancarlo Stanton who missed half of 2015 and a good portion of 2016 with injuries. Would you rather have your trainers, who are familiar with his injury history and health records, around him all spring as he prepares for the 2017 season -- or would you rather have him playing for Team USA in a tournament with trainers who may not be familiar with his previous injuries, and may not be looking out for his best interests. 

I am not against the WBC - I'm just pointing out why some stars aren't in it. Obviously there is no proof that participating in the WBC puts players at risk of an injury, but some teams don't want to make the assumption that it isn't a risk. 

Later on, I made a statement supporting MLB's Spring Training. It seemed that some people thought the WBC has more meaning than Spring Training, which I disagree with. I agree the WBC might prepare star players for competitive games this season, but Spring Training (slightly unrelated) is not insignificant since it gives players time to round back in to form, work on their mechanics, be around their teammates, lets some players compete for starting jobs (not all players, especially not Star athletes), and gives coaches a chance to look at players from their Minor League system. 
Fair enough but you can play in ST games and be with your teammates and play in the WBC. It only lasts a few weeks and it didn't start until a few weeks after camp started

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
True. Very good point. 

Personally I'd be more interested if Otani wasn't injured. After hearing all the hype this winter I was looking forward to seeing how he fared against MLB players, both pitching and hitting. I will say it's a great tournament if you want to look at potential international FAs from Japan, etc. 

Are there any other big international players participating who might be posted in a year or two? If so I'll try to find time to watch. 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Jones 9? What?
no obp
Hes very overrated. Definitely the weak link of the roster. Or hosmer

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lindor went yard twice yesterday. Mexi, do you know who he is? 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
This kinda spiraled out of control and I'm going to just sum up what I've been trying to say. 

This started out with this quote:

I decided to look at this from the perspective of an MLB team. Maybe you're the Miami Marlins and you have a player like Giancarlo Stanton who missed half of 2015 and a good portion of 2016 with injuries. Would you rather have your trainers, who are familiar with his injury history and health records, around him all spring as he prepares for the 2017 season -- or would you rather have him playing for Team USA in a tournament with trainers who may not be familiar with his previous injuries, and may not be looking out for his best interests. 

I am not against the WBC - I'm just pointing out why some stars aren't in it. Obviously there is no proof that participating in the WBC puts players at risk of an injury, but some teams don't want to make the assumption that it isn't a risk. 

Later on, I made a statement supporting MLB's Spring Training. It seemed that some people thought the WBC has more meaning than Spring Training, which I disagree with. I agree the WBC might prepare star players for competitive games this season, but Spring Training (slightly unrelated) is not insignificant since it gives players time to round back in to form, work on their mechanics, be around their teammates, lets some players compete for starting jobs (not all players, especially not Star athletes), and gives coaches a chance to look at players from their Minor League system. 
In response to the spring training/WBC argument, I wasn't trying to say they are interchangeable.

It's like comparing apples and oranges... I just typically applaud the passion for the WBC more.  It's competition, which is why I feel it's worth more.  I think we should put more effort into as a country seeing as it's only once every four years.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
no obp
Hes very overrated. Definitely the weak link of the roster. Or hosmer
Not all players who lack OBP are bad.  Just a different type.  I'm not anyway indicating this with Jones, just pointing it out.  Cespedes comes to mind.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:

I think Murphy is better, but not much better.  Murphy is overrated because of his 2015 season and his 2016 season for which he played out of his career norms in his aged 31 season.  I don't expect that happening again.
Yeah. But career wise, he's had a way better track record than Hosmer, who's had two seasons of being a below replacement player. 

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
either way some team next offseason is gonna overpay hosmer and within two years, will be saying "fuck"

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Not all players who lack OBP are bad.  Just a different type.  I'm not anyway indicating this with Jones, just pointing it out.  Cespedes comes to mind.
im an obp guy

So yeah jones isnt awful, but i also wouldnt bat him higher than 5th or 6th

brett05

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Yea but these are their careers. People are upset that players like Harper, Trout Syndergaard and Bryant aren't playing. I feel like they would consider it after landing that massive deal. Less to lose.

If you get hurt playing in an exhibition game you stand to lose a lot.

GMF1991 said:
And let's not forget MLB teams set restrictions on their players who do participate. They have a lot of money invested in their players -- it's a risk to them.

Until that changes this will be an issue.
And there's a drive, way back, it might be it could be, it is a home run.

elcheato said:
national pride doesn't pay the bills 
Can you believe that? The very next pitch, what a blast, back to back home runs

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
im an obp guy

So yeah jones isnt awful, but i also wouldnt bat him higher than 5th or 6th
That's understandable.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PR needs to get kiké hermadez off the bench

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
The Israel train is over, but that was a good run.

Finally someone beat DR.  I saw that coming.

Tough road for USA but I think we can move on.  I think we have a good shot at beating DR.  Our first game was close.

Japan is just dominant.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The two worst players on team usa with the tying and go ahead homers. Ha
Go figure

Adam jones and hosmer

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I havent followed this at all but im rooting for Netherlands

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Im rooting for the Netherlands too. Kenley is pitching in the next round

I want to root for the us. But god this team is so boring. I only like nolan and giancarlo

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Im rooting for the Netherlands too. Kenley is pitching in the next round

I want to root for the us. But god this team is so boring. I only like nolan and giancarlo
Way to support your country (I'm assuming you're American).

I'll admit the team isn't the best representation of our country, but I still support them and thank them for playing for our country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%