MVP Winners

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
My point is that Paul Molitor as the manager of the Twins doesn't change their record or late season success.  I'm using a similar analogy.
Good luck showing that one

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:
Apparently a league (not World Series) Most Valuable Player must do the job of 25 men and personally lead his team into the playoffs. That's at least according to brett05. 

Because it's not like the Dodgers were a series win away from the World Series before Bellinger was in the big leagues or anything...
Way to not focus on 2017.  You are new to baseball.  Welcome, the sport needs more fans.

brett05

Reaction score
catman said:
Some people forget that Andre Dawson was the MVP for a last-place Cubs team in 1987.  He had a season for the ages with very little help around him.
People do because on this board most people were not born.

For those of us that lived it, there were no outstanding candidates from playoff type teams. 

brett05

Reaction score
Coach said:

There's a Cubs documentary I watched that highlighted that season. Amazing. I had no problem with Stanton, and I liked Votto as a possibility as well. Anthony Rendon surprisingly hasn't been brought up yet, and he was a big reason the Nats did as well as they did this year (With Harper's injury and all). The NL was muddled with the MVP b/c nobody had a clearly better year than anyone else (one of those seasons for the ages). The AL had 2 clear front-runners who obviously contributed to their team's success. I think Judge wins MVP outright next season, and a couple more after that he is that good. Of course he will have a healthy Trout to contend with (and the current MVP :)
I think it would be great for Judge to have a better Sophomore year, history speaks hard against that.  I'd love for Altuve to be MVP again, I don't think he'll ever be a team MVP again let alone a league one (speaks to how good the Astros are).  The MVP barring injury or a complete rebuild is Trout's to lose for several more years I believe.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Way to not focus on 2017.  You are new to baseball.  Welcome, the sport needs more fans.

Please, I've been a baseball hardcore much, much longer than you've been giving stupid takes on this site. Your opinions and comments here tell me you have no idea what goes on in MLB before the month of October.

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:

Please, I've been a baseball hardcore much, much longer than you've been giving stupid takes on this site. Your opinions and comments here tell me you have no idea what goes on in MLB before the month of October.
I'm all in favor of you clinging to something to get you thru

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Let's chill with the personal insults. 

Attempting to attack someone's knowledge isn't a way to win a debate.

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Well how do you suppose you disprove it?
You are the one making the statement. It's you that needs the evidence.  Clearly the folks getting paid disagree with you

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
You are the one making the statement. It's you that needs the evidence.  Clearly the folks getting paid disagree with you
They're also the biased ones who contradict themselves. One year they vote for a player because he's a postseason player, the next they vote for a player that is only in a postseason team. Ellsbury should have won MVP in 2011 and Trout should have won it five years straight (and not Miguel Cabrera who also run triple crown because Trout was better that year). But no, the postseason element comes into play whenever they want it to. Honestly, I think they change the unwritten rules year by year. So inconsistent in their voting.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
regular season awards need to be voted on and awarded before the pist season, in all sports. its too fishy.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Are the votes not submitted before it starts?
Doesn't matter. There are still some teams who have MVP caliber players but have no chance of making the postseason before votes are in.

In either case, I just wish they were consistent. Mike Trout has lost a couple more awards that he should have gotten.

catman

Reaction score
The votes are required to be submitted the day after the regular season starts.  Post season performance is not considered for BBWAA awards.  

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
catman said:
The votes are required to be submitted the day after the regular season starts.  Post season performance is not considered for BBWAA awards.  
But postseason eligibility matters on some occasions.  They're not consistent on this.

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
They're also the biased ones who contradict themselves. One year they vote for a player because he's a postseason player, the next they vote for a player that is only in a postseason team. Ellsbury should have won MVP in 2011 and Trout should have won it five years straight (and not Miguel Cabrera who also run triple crown because Trout was better that year). But no, the postseason element comes into play whenever they want it to. Honestly, I think they change the unwritten rules year by year. So inconsistent in their voting.
All votes are in way before post season begins

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
But postseason eligibility matters on some occasions.  They're not consistent on this.
Not for season awards it doesn't.  If you are speaking of a team that has a chance like the Cubs vs a Team like the Reds yes it matters.  That's where the phrase Most Valuable comes in

catman

Reaction score
I had a typo in my last post, but I think everyone understands the gist of my post.  I should have said all BBWAA award ballots are required the day after the regular season ends, not starts.  Post-season is not considered in their awards.  There are awards that are given by a different group -- player of the year, pitcher of the year -- that include post-season accomplishments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%