Should college athletes be paid

Should players be paid

• Total voters

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I honestly don't think so. Honestly I think most college athletes get "incentives." If they get paid, then most other students will want to get paid as well. Like the debate team and all those other clubs will rise up wanting money.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Absolutely not.
No positives would stem from this whatsoever.

Dorado

LiveLoveA$AP
Reaction score
Theyre already getting full rides. And once they get paid to play they lose their amateur status so theyre gonna be able to get sponsored and shit. Like Rip said no good can come from this.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yessir

If only some of y'all knew what went on behind the scenes.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Agreed with Rip and Dorado. Plus everyone knows they will just blow their money on booze, drugs, strip clubs, guns...etc.

Stupid Jalen Rose crying out on ESPN how they should get paid.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You know dang right there would probably be at least 1 guy on most teams doing that. Especially in football, a whole mess of people would.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Meh...different opinions. Some guys also would need the money to support their families....

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The good guys would do that sure.

What is this "behind the doors" stuff your talking about?

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The recruitment of some star players..one of the guys in rip's sig wouldn't of went there if it wasn't for money.

A good portion of these guys are getting added perks from boosters/etc.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Their scholarship is their pay check. Most of these major colleges cost well over 20K a year to attend. That's plenty of money for a college student.

Not to mention, there are too many other athletes in lesser sports then Basketball and Football. How would you pay them or explain not paying them? Too many variables in this to pay them.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The recruitment of some star players..one of the guys in rip's sig wouldn't of went there if it wasn't for money.

A good portion of these guys are getting added perks from boosters/etc.
Oh yeah...totally agree with that. Look at my first post. I'd say there are a TON of players getting "incentives."

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Oh yeah...totally agree with that. Look at my first post. I'd say there are a TON of players getting "incentives."
Well we both agree on that then. NCAA won't ever allow guys to get paid.

And I hate the scholarship angle because from my knowledge these scholarships aren't for 4 years. They are renewed every year. BTW OTL had a good piece on how the SEC and big football programs cut guys and take away their scholarships to give to a new recruit or etc. And even if you get a ride you still have some kids filling out financial aid like D-Rose. So in essence the gov is paying for a bulk of their education. My problem is more with the NCAA then the Schools.

If I'm wrong on the scholarship stuff...correct me.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Paid by the NCAA? No.

But the bullshit people get suspended for I don't really give a damn about

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What people fail to understand is that all division one athletes DO get paid. They don't get paid an obscene amount of money, but they receive enough money to help pay for food, books and other school related expenses. That on top of the free ride they're receiving to play a sport.

It's fine the way it is, in my opinion. If the NCAA were to allow programs to pay their players, you would have the same 5-10 schools being successful every year because no other schools could put up the kind of money to compete with them for recruits.

I do think they need to be a little more lenient with the memorabilia sales, though. If a player wants to sell his jersey, then he should be allowed to do so. The program and the NCAA itself makes millions of dollars because of that certain player and many others that fans pay to see.

College football is a shady business. There have been players getting paid for many years, and they're going to continue to be paid in the future regardless of whether or not it's "legal".

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really don't have a problem being paid by outside sources. But anything connected with the school is a no-no.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Outside sources = boosters

That's where a lot of the problems lie already.
I consider boosters different that the actual school though.
I guess I should of been more clear.

Paychecks from let's say MSU is a huge no.
Incentives from boosters from MSU? Sure. If that's how they wanna blow their money than so be it.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
They are getting paid. But they're too young and ignorant to use the money wisely, so we pay them in the form of free education.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The boosters are practically the school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%