Hurricane Jake's 2016 Positional Rankings: Quarterbacks

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm bored as hell, and I miss football talk, so I'm going to be ranking the 10 best players in each positional group.  Evidently, I'm starting with quarterbacks.  I may do this weekly, I may do one per day, or I may even do all of them today.  We'll find out soon enough.

1. Tom Brady

2. Aaron Rodgers 

3. Cam Newton 

4. Ben Roethlisberger

5. Carson Palmer

6. Drew Brees

7. Philip Rivers

8. Russell Wilson

9. Eli Manning

10. Andy Dalton

I was going to write little blurbs after each player, but I realized how little I cared about the write-ups after about #5, so I just got rid of them.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I'd say Russ is a little low, and I would not put Eli in my top 10 at all (and that has nothing to do with me being a Patriots fan). Top 5 looks basically right though

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You guys both like Palmer a lot more than I do. idk if I'd even have him in my top 10.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Me personally

Brady
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Wilson
Newton
Palmer
Brees
Rivers
Dalton
Carr

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
You guys both like Palmer a lot more than I do. idk if I'd even have him in my top 10.

Palmer was the one that I struggled with the most.  It was hard to list him as a top 5 QB in the league, but his season last season was fucking killer.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I should add that a healthy Andrew Luck is a clear top 10 QB.  I just don't know exactly where I'd put him.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
1. Rodgers--The single most multi-faceted QB we have ever seen
2. Brady--Has a chance to become the winningest QB we have ever seen, often with pathetic WR options compared to other greats
3. Roethlisberger--This guy is still underrated by many, but his clutch gene along with his ability to take a beating make him special
4. Newton--Not until last season did I see Cam really make a significant stride as a passer. I expect him to climb this list after this season
5. Brees--I personally think people give Brees too much leeway for his turnovers, but when you play in a dated high-volume passing system, turnovers are just part of the reality of that system.
6. Wilson--Not until the second half of last season did Russell Wilson look anything like the Russell Wilson people thought he was. That has to continue or he will slide down this list. He is still overrated.
7. Romo--assuming he is healthy. Romo's physical and mental ability are still top 10, no question. What remains to be seen is if we've seen the last of 16 games a season Tony Romo. If injuries plague him again, he'll fall off this list for good. 
8. Rivers--Like Brees, Rivers is a high turnover guy, but he hasn't had an offensive line in several years now and the Chargers, quite frankly, haven't been very good. Like Romo, Rivers is still top 10 strictly as a QB and not a QB on a bad team.
9. Luck--assuming he is healthy. Luck has been overrated since he entered the league, but he's still great with the game on the line and fairly prolific. It's now become popular to act like Andrew Luck is nothing special, which just isn't true. Put a real damn team around this kid and he sets the league on fire. 
10. Palmer--With so many weapons at his disposal along with the next great multi-purpose back in the NFL, Carson Palmer has a chance to re-write his career. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
How is Luck better than Carson, other than in mobility?

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
How is Luck better than Carson, other than in mobility?

He's certainly better in clutch moments, thus far. Obviously they got smacked around in their last playoff game, but they had no business being in that game in the first place. I like Palmer, but you have to take into consideration the wealth of weapons at his disposal versus TY Hilton + scrubs and no OL or running game. Would you disagree that Andrew Luck in place of Carson Palmer would make Arizona better and more dangerous to Carolina and Seattle? Would you disagree that Carson Palmer in Indianapolis would render the Colts 6-10 team, at best?

Chris Johnson and then David Johnson are what made Arizona great last year, not Carson Palmer.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Romo was another guy that I kind of forgot about due to injuries.  He'd definitely replace Eli in my top 10, but again I'm not sure where he'd fall.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
He's certainly better in clutch moments, thus far. Obviously they got smacked around in their last playoff game, but they had no business being in that game in the first place. I like Palmer, but you have to take into consideration the wealth of weapons at his disposal versus TY Hilton + scrubs and no OL or running game. Would you disagree that Andrew Luck in place of Carson Palmer would make Arizona better and more dangerous to Carolina and Seattle? Would you disagree that Carson Palmer in Indianapolis would render the Colts 6-10 team, at best?

Chris Johnson and then David Johnson are what made Arizona great last year, not Carson Palmer.
How did they not deserve to be in the NFCCG? Because Green Bay had a lucky Hail Mary to tie the game, just for Arizona to beat them in OT? They were the two seed for a reason.

Also, no OL? The Colts had a better offensive line than Arizona did. That's like their #1 weakness -- pass protection. Zona has a bunch of maulers on that line that are great for running the ball, and yeah Arizona did benefit from that a ton, but it was equally a bad pass protection line as it was a great run blocking line (PFF ranks their line 28th in pass, 4th in run). And The Colts had a ton of weapons to use between Hilton, Moncrief, Fleener, etc. Luck makes really poor decisions all the time

No Luck in Arizona doesn't make them more dangerous than with Palmer. Put Carson on Indy and there is no concern about them winning the division, whatsoever. Luck is easily the most overrated QB in the league, and gets by purely on his Draft reputation that he'd be the next Peyton. He's a ton more like Stafford than anyone is willing to give him credit for. 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
 And The Colts had a ton of weapons to use between Hilton, Moncrief, Fleener, etc. 

You listed three guys, and only one is a legitimate weapon.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Hurricane Season said:
You listed three guys, and only one is a legitimate weapon.
you're only allowed 5 at a time though. and i thought i put gore on that list too, weird. and Moncrief I would argue is the best recevier the Colts have. And Fleener was a huge mismatch if not properly guarded due to his speed (he's a top 5 fantasy TE this year now that he's with Breesus)

They aren't big name guys, but they are big game guys. Plus you can't tell me that Arizona had that much better receivers than Indy. Fleener when used correctly impacts the game just as well as Michael Floyd does, TY stretches defenses like John Brown, and Moncrief is really good even if he's not on the same tier as Fitz. The lone piece the Cards have in the passing game that trumps Indy is my boy David Johnson, who is far better as a receiver than he is a runner. And he got his production less as a split end but more juking guys when he comes to the flat and just being an electric star. But plays like that don't really affect the QB much; it's just throwing check downs that any QB can do.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Moncrief is gonna step up big time within the next year or so, but you were listing him as one of the many weapons Luck has had in Indy.  He's only shown flashes of his potential, and a lot of that came when Luck wasn't even playing.

Hilton doesn't have the size of a prototypical #1 receiver, but he's one of the best route-runners in the entire league.  He's a Santana Moss clone.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I mean do y'all realize Palmer put up MVP level numbers last year?

ANY/A= ( (Pass Yards - Sack Yards) + (TD*20) - (INT*45) ) / (Pass Att + Sacks)

I just don't see how you can say Luck is better than Carson. He makes awful decisions and doesn't even have the passing numbers to back himself

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
i was directing it @bware

and teagle i guess too lol

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ah yes.  I see.  I saw "y'all" and didn't know who else you were referring to.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
How did they not deserve to be in the NFCCG? Because Green Bay had a lucky Hail Mary to tie the game, just for Arizona to beat them in OT? They were the two seed for a reason.

Also, no OL? The Colts had a better offensive line than Arizona did. That's like their #1 weakness -- pass protection. Zona has a bunch of maulers on that line that are great for running the ball, and yeah Arizona did benefit from that a ton, but it was equally a bad pass protection line as it was a great run blocking line (PFF ranks their line 28th in pass, 4th in run). And The Colts had a ton of weapons to use between Hilton, Moncrief, Fleener, etc. Luck makes really poor decisions all the time

No Luck in Arizona doesn't make them more dangerous than with Palmer. Put Carson on Indy and there is no concern about them winning the division, whatsoever. Luck is easily the most overrated QB in the league, and gets by purely on his Draft reputation that he'd be the next Peyton. He's a ton more like Stafford than anyone is willing to give him credit for. 

I wasn't referring to the Cardinals. I was talking about the AFCCG that the Colts were in 2 years ago when they got beat down 45-7. I thought Arizona would win the NFCCG last year. They definitely deserve to be there.

I think you're crazy if you don't see more than a turnover prone overrated guy in Luck. Is he the second coming of Christ like all the analysts want us to believe? No. Is he damn good and only going to get better? Yes.

Also, Hilton is the only worthy weapon on the Colts roster, and he's not even that good. 

And give Luck some credit. The two seasons prior to last year he was great with low INT numbers. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%