Ohtani May be Posted as Soon as Next Friday

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Still don't know how good this guy really is.
Still don't know why this matters. Teams have spent far more for unproven foreign players.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The total investment is gonna be like 30 million over 3 years if you include posting fees, which is a small amount to pay to find out if he is good

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Still don't know why this matters. Teams have spent far more for unproven foreign players.

For me its not about the dollars spent. Teams have obviously spent a ton more on foreign players from Asia and Cuba.

He turns out shit? Not the end of the world.

For me its about the hype that this guy has, when we haven't even seen him throw a major league pitch.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Again,who cares? Darvish, dice-k, Tanaka had huge expectations. Expectations are always high. That's why he doesn't want to be in New York or Boston - he wants to prove himself but not be widely judged on day 1.

This guy actually seems pretty smart and like a good person. Doesn't care about the money. Wants to prove a 2-way star is possible. Wants to be somewhere where he can have an impact on the Japanese community. All-around great guy so far. That's why every team wants him. I want him I don't even own a MLB team.

Tl;Dr- seems like a good guy. Just sit back and see how he develops.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Again,who cares? Darvish, dice-k, Tanaka had huge expectations. Expectations are always high. That's why he doesn't want to be in New York or Boston - he wants to prove himself but not be widely judged on day 1.

This guy actually seems pretty smart and like a good person. Doesn't care about the money. Wants to prove a 2-way star is possible. Wants to be somewhere where he can have an impact on the Japanese community. All-around great guy so far. That's why every team wants him. I want him I don't even own a MLB team.

Tl;Dr- seems like a good guy. Just sit back and see how he develops.
But what if I want to judge him without ever watching him play?

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Well he's been called the Japanese Babe Ruth without ever taking a major league swing or throwing a pitch to a major league hitter. As I've said, the media needs to get off this guy's dick until he's played an inning of North American ball. 

I'm pretty sure ZIPS ran a projection for him and his MLB adjusted numbers were in line with a number 2 pitcher. Everyone would love a free number two, but is it really worth the hype?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
The hype only affects one person - Ohtani. This doesn't hurt whoever gets him. Because whoever signs him - if he's a bust they're just like "what's the problem? 31 other teams wanted him too."

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
You're also adjusting those numbers and saying he's a #2. The guy is 23. A lot of #2 pitchers don't get to the league at 23. This guys ahead of the curve.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
A head of the curve for sure. But that doesn't smell like a Japanese Babe Ruth or $200 or $300 million dollar man to me.

Also who is to say he makes the major leagues at 23? What if he takes a two year adjustment period in North America? There's no absolutes with prospects. Maybe I'm more pessimistic after Dice-K, but it just seems like all the time there are prospects that prove to be very underwhelming. I'm reserving judgment until he's at the big league level.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I think most people are reserving judgement.

From what I've read, s outs say he can be a big league pitcher today. Hitting might take some time in the minors to refine his swing and approach. So right now, I expect to see him in the majors pretty soon.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
But what if I want to judge him without ever watching him play?
just mention the term #futuredodger enough and maybe itll come true

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mariners
Angels (already have a full OF and pujols is pretty much a fulltime dh not sure how he would fit there)
Giants
Dodgers
Padres
Cubs
Rangers

The final 7

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
He says he wants to play in a small market but then he lists 3 teams from LA or Chicago in his final 7 so who really knows. Mariners make the most sense, would love to see him on the Cubs tho

catman

Reaction score
So Chicago and Dallas are small towns on the West Coast?  I guess I should study geography better.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
He says he wants to play in a small market but then he lists 3 teams from LA or Chicago in his final 7 so who really knows. Mariners make the most sense, would love to see him on the Cubs tho
i think salty cashman is the reason for the market narrative

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
catman said:
So Chicago and Dallas are small towns on the West Coast?  I guess I should study geography better.
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
San Fran

Is what Im guessing hes referring to

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Guessing if he chose the angels he wouldnt live in LA. Doubt any angel does

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
San Fran

Is what Im guessing hes referring to
I'm talking about the Dodgers, Angels, and Cubs.

Ohtani said he wants to be in a small market and on the West Coast, but that only applies to really 2/7 finalists he named. The Mariners (Smaller market) and Padres.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%