The Machado Thread

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the Cubs. Not saying anything is imminent but there's suddenly Addison Russell + for Machado debate happening. Cubs could use the bat in their lineup, they've got the young pieces to move, and they are poised to offer a big contract come next offseason.

Matter of fact, I can't see why Theo doesn't make this happen, unless he's really planning to load up for a run at Bryce Harper.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Ughhhh. Russell is trash.
Would you believe Cubs Twitter is arguing 4 years of Addy is better than 1 year of Machado?

A, Addy will never amount to half the player Machado is.
B, The Cubs aren’t poor and would have a huge advantage in keeping Machado beyond current season.
C, Cubs Twitter is full of complete idiots. “Don’t trade Addy, keep Schwarber...”

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Yeah they are extremely defensive/loyal of anyone that was on the title team

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Machado is that great.  He can only hit homeruns, but those will diminish in due time.  He doesn't hit for average or OBP.

That being said, he's hands down better than Addison Russell.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Machado is that great.  He can only hit homeruns, but those will diminish in due time.  He doesn't hit for average or OBP.

That being said, he's hands down better than Addison Russell.
Only hit homeruns? Really?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Only hit homeruns? Really?
Looking at his stats, his average isn't that great.  In the .250's and his OBP is so-so.  He's definitely above average in every way, but he really only is on top of others in homeruns.  I'd rather take my shot at cheaper options that can do just as much.  I think Machado is overrated, just like Harper.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Looking at his stats, his average isn't that great.  In the .250's and his OBP is so-so.  He's definitely above average in every way, but he really only is on top of others in homeruns.  I'd rather take my shot at cheaper options that can do just as much.  I think Machado is overrated, just like Harper.
He was incredibly unlucky at the plate last year. Hit 290 ish the year before. Not to mention how electric he is in the field which you didnt mention.

He definitely doesnt walk though, but that might just be the orioles hitting coaches preaching free swinging. No orioles take walks

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Machado is one of the best players in baseball. Easily the best defensive 3B in the AL. It’s okay to hate dislike him, but don’t get it twisted. He’s fucking amazing. And while I understand teams wanting Harper, it would be incredibly dumb to pass up on Machado now, when we have no idea is Harper makes it to FA. Machado is on the trade market right now. Harper is not, the Nats want to talk extension, and they have the wealthiest owner in all of baseball.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:

You're looking at ONE year. 

Previous two years: .286 avg, 35 HRs. .294 avg, 37 HRs. Phenomenal fielder. I'm not really sure how he's overrated. 

Also not sure what Bryce Harper has to do with this, and he's certainly not overrated. DOwn year in 2016. 2015 and 2017 he had an OPS over 1.000 each year. Power, Average, draws walks. I hate the Nationals and I don't think Harper is overrated. 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:

You're looking at ONE year. 

Previous two years: .286 avg, 35 HRs. .294 avg, 37 HRs. Phenomenal fielder. I'm not really sure how he's overrated. 

Also not sure what Bryce Harper has to do with this, and he's certainly not overrated. DOwn year in 2016. 2015 and 2017 he had an OPS over 1.000 each year. Power, Average, draws walks. I hate the Nationals and I don't think Harper is overrated. 
Like I said, he's not bad and you're probably right about the fielding.

But great batters to me hit over .300 per season, or separate themselves as a homerun hitter.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I thought collecyively the baseball community was just about done with batting average

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
I thought collecyively the baseball community was just about done with batting average
I agree there are better atats, but it has some worth to it still. If Machado is looking for big money, he should be able to hit for average.

brett05

Reaction score
The Cubs have nothing that the Orioles want so Machado going there is only twitter fan feed and nothing more.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
The Cubs have nothing that the Orioles want so Machado going there is only twitter fan feed and nothing more.
Beat writers started it. May have been nothing more than due diligence but there’s some truth behind it.

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:
Beat writers started it. May have been nothing more than due diligence but there’s some truth behind it.
The truth is the interest.  The facts are they have nothing to offer

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
The truth is the interest.  The facts are they have nothing to offer
Cubs have plenty to offer, whether it be Addy, Schwarber, Caratini, Maples...

I mean, is it your goal to just constantly go against the grain here?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
AE. said:

Russell is garbage

Schwarber is also garbage and they have nowhere to put him in the field anyways

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:

They Orioles have said they want pitching and near ready pitching.  When Did any of those minus Maples pitch?  Maples is a pitcher who at best will be a journeyman.  That's going to be his top end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%