6 Teams Eyeing SP Dallas Keuchel

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
SB Nation - According to reports, six teams are vying to sign the pitcher. Once the MLB Draft is over after June 5, teams will no longer need to give up a draft pick to sign Keuchel, and analysts are expecting that the veteran lefty will be fielding various offers from clubs.

Both the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays have already been reported to have interest in Keuchel, but new reports suggest that the Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Milwaukee Brewers and St. Louis Cardinals could all be in the mix as well. These contending teams believe that Keuchel is the piece that could push them over the top.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Still blows my mind that he and Kimbrel are on the market still. Baseball free agency really has taken a turn.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I think it's also an issue of Boras clients not budging too much on their demands. I feel like player demands got way out of hand in recent years.

These guys should get signed but they can't expect big deals at this point

catman

Reaction score
Of the 2, I think Kimbrel has the most to offer.  He is a known commodity who should be well rested and won't need much to get back into baseball shape.  Kuechel has been declining for the past few seasons and who knows what the team will get from him?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
I think it's also an issue of Boras clients not budging too much on their demands. I feel like player demands got way out of hand in recent years.

These guys should get signed but they can't expect big deals at this point
Sure they will. It's not the financial number that teams are scared of.

MLB needs to re-structure their FA format. Teams don't want to spend the $$ on the player because then they lose the 1st round draft pick too. Eliminate that policy and no way Dallas or Kimbrel are still available. I can see the Yankees even giving Keuchel $18M+ too; its not the money issue

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Sure they will. It's not the financial number that teams are scared of.

MLB needs to re-structure their FA format. Teams don't want to spend the $$ on the player because then they lose the 1st round draft pick too. Eliminate that policy and no way Dallas or Kimbrel are still available. I can see the Yankees even giving Keuchel $18M+ too; its not the money issue
I agree. And it was an awful idea intended to keep players on small market teams but it's just causing good players to be stuck as free agents.

But I do think it's a combination of multiple financial issues - teams and the media are heavily looking at WAR and they'd rather take a chance on some guy being called up from the minors than spending 18m a year on Keuchel.

That and the luxury tax. It's a lot of things, not just one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%