Hudson makes much anticipated return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
MIAMI -- Tim Hudson has waited more than a year to have the opportunity to pitch again in the Major Leagues, and to his surprise, he hasn't yet felt the nervous rush that he's been expecting.

"I thought that it would be a little more exciting or that I'd have a little more nervousness going on," Hudson said. "But to be honest with you, I almost feel like I've already pitched like 10 to 15 times. It almost has that pick-it-up-from-where-I-left-off kind of feel."

When Hudson starts against the Marlins at Land Shark Stadium on Tuesday night, he'll be making his first Major League appearance since July 23, 2008, when he exited this same exact mound with discomfort that led to him undergoing Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery less than a week later.

The fact that he'll be making his return at the same location where he last pitched doesn't seem to concern Hudson.

"If it didn't happen there, it was probably going to happen somewhere else," Hudson said.

Armed with a surgically-repaired elbow and a well-rested shoulder that he believes is stronger than it's been in over the course of the past three or four years, Hudson will be looking to prove that he's capable of regaining the successful form he possessed before being sidelined with this damaged elbow.

Hudson's contract includes a $12 million option with a $1 million buyout for the 2010 season. Thus, he'll be pitching with the hope of proving to the Braves that he could still be a key member of their rotation next year.

But the 34-year-old Hudson contends that his motivation rests primarily with the hope of helping Atlanta find entry into the postseason.

"I just want to help us win," Hudson said. "It's been a long time that I've been on the sidelines watching and it's finally rewarding to actually -- hopefully -- contribute to some success here."

Hudson, who was originally slated to return Monday before some roster issues led the Braves to push him back one day, will be pitching for the first time since his Aug. 23 Minor League rehab start for Triple-A Gwinnett.

"I've thrown two or three bullpens since then and I've been able to keep on top of all the work I needed to do to stay sharp," Hudson said. "I'm definitely going to be well rested."

While Land Shark Stadium is where Hudson's elbow was last cooperative in a Major League setting, it's also a place where he has made eight starts and gone 5-1 with a 2.59 ERA. When he exited during what proved to be his last start before the surgical procedure, he'd allowed three hits over six scoreless innings.

"I feel like it's going to be just like any other game," Hudson said. "I know that it's hard to say that because it's been such a long time and I'll be pitching where I blew out. But I feel ready. This is something I've been looking forward to for a long time."

Source: mlb.com
Hudson is a very good pitcher. I hope he does well even though that Braves rotation is already great. A good Hudson in that rotation makes it scary.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of Hudson's so I, too, am hoping for a nice return and end of the season for him.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
I loved Hudson in Oakland. As much as I dislike the Braves, I hope he has success aswell.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Looks like Hudson had a very nice game yesterday. Not bad for someone who hasnt pitched in a major league game in 404 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%