2016 NBA Offseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dieng is overrated and easily replaceable

Butler is better than lavine at everything but dunking..it would be a slam dunk if thats all he took. Lavine dieng and picks

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Dieng is still developing, and is not overrated. Who overrates him? I think he's good, but not consistent enough.

Also, I think Lavine will be a better shooter than Butler next season. He was hot or not this season, which was a huge step after he could barely shoot as a rookie. If he can establish some consistency, the sky is the limit. Lavine's potential paired with his work ethic is worth the wait.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Wolves will never be a contender if they stand pat with their roster. They need another star, and LaVine is not gonna be that.

Not to mention the Bulls would never do Butler for LaVine, Dieng and picks.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Never be a contender with the best young big in the NBA and Andrew Wiggins coached by Thibs? And why are you all so certain that Lavine can't blossom into a star?

How many Wolves games did you watch this past season? Give me an honest estimate.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Is "coached by Thibs" suppose to mean something other than a guarantee that he's going to shorten the careers of Wiggins and Towns and probably play with Kirk Hinrich before he retires?

I don't even watch the NBA

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And I'll admit it was maybe too harsh to say "never", but I don't see any skills other than stand still shooting and dunking. I think he's a starter in the league, I highly doubt he'll be a perennial all-star. And I would not be happy trading the 2nd or 3rd best SG in the league, on a team friendly contract, with him as the center piece

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i think minnesota has a good core and coaching stability will help, but they still need more.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
I don't think they need to add another star for that "more" though. Add another shooter and a veteran bench piece. Let this team develop.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Lavine is a slightly better shooting Gerald Green

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about Lavine to dispute it.

Green is terrible though.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
I don't think they need to add another star for that "more" though. Add another shooter and a veteran bench piece. Let this team develop.
youre too high on lavine. let them develop, sure. but they still need to add talent.

Stray32

Reaction score
elcheato said:
Is "coached by Thibs" suppose to mean something other than a guarantee that he's going to shorten the careers of Wiggins and Towns and probably play with Kirk Hinrich before he retires?

I don't even watch the NBA
yeah because Luol Deng was so washed up this year

since you clearly weren't sarcastic about not watching the NBA let me clarify that that^ was sarcastic - that idea of the effect Thibs has is completely false, Chicago media has been on some shit recently disparaging those leaving the team

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rant incoming...

I remember debating with certain posters on this forum last season for what seemed like days about the impact that Jahlil Okafor would have on the game and where he should be taken in the draft.  "He's the second best player...he's the third best player...he should be taken ahead of this guy...he should be taken ahead of that guy."  Now low and behold a year later Philly is trying to move him.

I'll rehash my argument from last year.  People act like raw stats means anything when it comes to winning.  You know who else was a 20/10 guy on a bad team?  Kevin Love.  Al Jefferson put up great numbers too.  But guys like that are liabilities against great teams.

Scoring is the easiest thing to replace in the league.  A guy who can put the ball in the basket gets hurt, there are other guys to pick up that slack.  A guy like Draymond goes out, it's impossible to replace his production, all the things he does for his team.  I couldn't careless about the empty stats Okafor put up last year and will continue to put up.  He can't help you win in a multitude of ways, which means he is a liability. 

I wouldn't give up anything of value for him.  I see this Chad Ford trade suggestion, #6 and Ajinca for Okafor.  That's laughable.  If I'm giving up a valuable asset for a guy, or paying a guy a ton of money, he has to fit the following criterias:

-Has to be able to finish 100% of the games, against any team and any matchup
- Defend the rim at least at an above average level or better
- Defend the perimeter at an above average level or better
- Be a reliable free throw shooter, preferably 70% or better
- Be a threat to hit a mid range jumper

If he can't do those things, I have no interest.  If he does a couple at an elite level, that's a different story but the point remains the same.  That's why a guy like Poeltl, wouldn't touch him with a lottery selection.

Stray32

Reaction score
On that same note, there was an article about the Pistons somewhere and two guys were feeding off each other talking about how Pistons needed to trade Drummond for Okafor+ not only saying that Andre isn't worth a max but that Okafor is just as good. And the sad part is they were supposedly Pistons fans. I made an account on the site just to call them both idiots. Okafor isn't in the same solar system as Drummond as a rebounder

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd take Drummond over Okafor easily, but even Andre has some weaknesses in his game that make me pause. I'm not sure if he's a guy that's worth say, 25M

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
drummond isnt worth a max but he absolutely deserves it and the fan base and other players need to see him get that.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's one of those guys that probably doesn't deserve it (or worth it like you said), but he's absolutely going to get it, and you can't argue against it.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/745305311020449792

soon

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well I just saw a naked Dwyane Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%