Which Sophomore QB Is Most Likely To Slump?

Who Is More Likely To Suffer A Slump?

• Andrew Luck

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Which major 2nd year QB is most likely to suffer the sophomore slump this season?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Coming off the Injury, I'd say RG3. I expect all 3 to be stellar though

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
It absolutely has to be RG3. No matter how dangerous running QBs have been, at times, they've never, and I mean never, translated to the NFL for their entire careers. With time to study film on the guy, defenses will schematically shut down the majority of his running game, even if Morris continues to dominate. As a non-traditional quarterback, he will falter in year two. As a traditional quarterback, he'll also struggle because he's going to throw more picks.

Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck are pure NFL QBs, imo, even if both are very mobile. RG3 has to adapt his game, has to train his mind to the fact that his feet won't get him out of everything anymore.

Dallas and NYG's defenses, if they remain healthy, are going to give him his wake up call.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RG3 isn't strictly a running QB, he's a great passer. You'll see that this year as they tone down his carries

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Luck

The Colts will run a significantly more balanced offense, which means less pass attempts from Luck. Simple as that

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Would it really be considered a slump if his attempts go down, but efficiency goes up?  Or do you expect him to stay about where he was last season?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
A little worse. People don't give enough credit to the offense Arians ran

Wilson will be very good. His play late in the year was fantastic
RG3 as a QB (not as an athlete) will do just as well. Garçon should be healthy and he's still a very good passer

I just don't love the Stanford offense for the Colts. I don't think Luck will be much worse, but he'll regress as a QB more than the other two

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
We need to remember that Luck had something like 14 dropped INTs. While that number is sure to shrink this coming season, he clearly has the weakest team and coaching staff surrounding him. At the same time, I don't care how good of a passer RG3 is, he is going to be neutralized this coming year--to a great degree. The defenses in his division are much fiercer than those of Andrew Luck's division, and with 2 games apiece against the laughable Jaguars and the lackluster Titans, the Colts are looking at 4-0 in that stretch already. They only need to go .500 the rest of the way to be a playoff contender. RG3 has to compete with two top 10 QBs in Eli and Romo, not to mention the longest lineup of pass rushers (Ware, Spencer, JPP, Tuck, Moore, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Selvie (if he makes Dallas' roster), Trent motherfucking Cole (one of the most underrated players of the last 10 years), Brandon Graham, etc, etc.) of any division in the league. RG3 is fucked unless both Dallas and NYG have an extreme amount of injuries again.

Wilson has the second best running back in the game at his disposal and one of the best five defenses in the league to bail his ass out. Unless he completely shits the bed, he'll take Seattle to the playoffs again, barring drastic injury.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
I think Bradshaw will help with the running game, the Colts will look to balance it out more too. 

I think Wilson or RGIII is sure fire to have a slump, but I don't remember, were Wilson's numbers any good this year?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Even though I really like Wilson and think he's going to have a great career, I just feel like he's going to have a down year. I can picture the over-dramatic ESPN headlines already..... 

and then next year he'll be back to his rookie stats, if not better. 

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
I feel like RGIII gets so much media hype and love, it's a craze. I have a feeling we'll see a decrease in production there.

Hopefully, for the Giant's sake.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
We need to remember that Luck had something like 14 dropped INTs. While that number is sure to shrink this coming season, he clearly has the weakest team and coaching staff surrounding him. At the same time, I don't care how good of a passer RG3 is, he is going to be neutralized this coming year--to a great degree. The defenses in his division are much fiercer than those of Andrew Luck's division, and with 2 games apiece against the laughable Jaguars and the lackluster Titans, the Colts are looking at 4-0 in that stretch already. They only need to go .500 the rest of the way to be a playoff contender. RG3 has to compete with two top 10 QBs in Eli and Romo, not to mention the longest lineup of pass rushers (Ware, Spencer, JPP, Tuck, Moore, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Selvie (if he makes Dallas' roster), Trent motherfucking Cole (one of the most underrated players of the last 10 years), Brandon Graham, etc, etc.) of any division in the league. RG3 is fucked unless both Dallas and NYG have an extreme amount of injuries again.

Wilson has the second best running back in the game at his disposal and one of the best five defenses in the league to bail his ass out. Unless he completely shits the bed, he'll take Seattle to the playoffs again, barring drastic injury.

What difference does it make who the QB is on the other side of the field?  He's not directly competing with any of them.

Orakpo and Kerrigan are Redskins, so I don't understand why you listed them. Trent Cole was terrible last year.  Graham, Selvie and Moore (rookie unknown) aren't even worth mentioning... you just added all of those names to make the list look longer.

Either way, none of those players did a damn thing last year.  Skins were 5-1 in the division.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Hurricane said:

What difference does it make who the QB is on the other side of the field?  He's not directly competing with any of them.

Orakpo and Kerrigan are Redskins, so I don't understand why you listed them. Trent Cole was terrible last year.  Graham, Selvie and Moore (rookie unknown) aren't even worth mentioning... you just added all of those names to make the list look longer.

Either way, none of those players did a damn thing last year.  Skins were 5-1 in the division.

Yeah,  I added Orakpo and Kerrigan by accident because I was thinking of every pass rusher in the division. My bad.

The Redskins benefited from mass injuries in Dallas and a Giants crew that had their own share of injuries and just wasn't playing that well.

It does matter. Absolutely. The 'skins have a better shot of going 1-5 in the division than they do of repeating the 5-1 mark. Guaranteed.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Trent Cole isn't a good OLB at all. If anything, you should say Connor Barwin, but not Cole lol

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:

Yeah,  I added Orakpo and Kerrigan by accident because I was thinking of every pass rusher in the division. My bad.

The Redskins benefited from mass injuries in Dallas and a Giants crew that had their own share of injuries and just wasn't playing that well.

It does matter. Absolutely. The 'skins have a better shot of going 1-5 in the division than they do of repeating the 5-1 mark. Guaranteed.
Haha, the Redskins benefited from injuries... because the Skins were healthy, right?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:

Washington didn't have their 2nd best player for the whole year, and it's the Skins that benefited? Orakpo+Kerrigan is scarier than Cole+Barwin and Ware+Spencer, plus maybe JPP+Tuck too. No way the Skins go 1-5 in the division. 4-2 is more likely

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Washington didn't have their 2nd best player for the whole year, and it's the Skins that benefited? Orakpo+Kerrigan is scarier than Cole+Barwin and Ware+Spencer, plus maybe JPP+Tuck too. No way the Skins go 1-5 in the division. 4-2 is more likely

They were missing their second best player? Dallas was missing half their defense (including Lee, our best player, Bruce Carter, Jay Ratliff, Barry Church, Orlando Scandrick, DeMarcus Ware was playing with one arm, which for some reason people overlooked and now think he's declining). NYG was missing their best corner, and as usual had to bring in a hodgepodge group of linebackers. 

Orakpo + Kerrigan is not scarier than JPP/Tuck, if those two are healthy, and if Spencer plays like he did last year, it's not scarier than Ware/Spencer. No way.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Also, I would argue that Will Montgomery is Washington's second best player. He pretty much turned their OL into the machine that made things so easy for Morris last year.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:

They were missing their second best player? Dallas was missing half their defense. NYG was missing their best corner. 

Orakpo + Kerrigan is not scarier than JPP/Tuck lol. And if Spencer plays like he did last year, it's not scarier than Ware/Spencer. No way.

Redskins were missing RG3's two best options on offense. (Garcon + Davis)  Orakpo was gone, Carriker was gone, Neild was gone (rotational nose), Merriweather was gone, TJack was gone, Helu was gone, and they didn't have a single running back behind Morris that was worth a damn.  Redskins had 17 guys in IR. 

Wilson was banged up all year.  Fletcher was banged up all year.  Licht and Jarvis Jenkins were coming off of ACL injuries.  There were a ton of injuries everywhere... that's the NFL.  Not too many teams had it worse than the Redskins, though.

I'm curious, though... who do you think the Giants' best corner is?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%