World Baseball Classic

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Getting upset because people aren't blindly rooting for team USA or being overly patriotic isn't considered sensitive? Because you've been doing an awful lot of that.
Honestly, I don't care.  I just think those who are against Team USA should have at least a logical reason, especially if they live in the country.  I think it's stupid to root against them if they're your own country.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
I am an american
I must root for eric hosmer and ian kinsler and marcus stroman

Foh

US has a boring roster. Lacked charisma
They won so what. They have a team of all stars

I was there man. PR people were great and made the game fun. Its a game afterall

This is 2017. No need to root for guys because we're from a certain country. The game is so global and the US is obviously a powerhouse. Whats exactly wrong with rooting for an underdog with players we're extremely familiar with? I cant root for lindor and beltran and correa when they wear a PR jersey, but can when theyre wearing a mlb jersey?
Not sure what you mean by "boring."  I saw quite a bit of emotion on the American team.  Maybe it's just not what you consider "charisma."  Again, to each is own.

And baseball exists in other countries, I get that, but it's America's past-time sport.  We should prove that every year we play in this thing.  

The point of the WBC is to root for your country and your country's heritage in the game.  MLB teams are just paid players with logos.  Countries actually mean something IMO.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
if the US was an underdog id probably root for them

Its not stupid to root against them. This isnt the old days where we dont know much about the other countrymen
We see miggy and altuve and lindor, beltran, yadi, tehran, didi, andrelton, etc every night. Its pretty easy to pull for them

I don't even look at this as a country tourney. I look at it as new teams and root for who i think is the most fun like i would with any other sport

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
if the US was an underdog id probably root for them

Its not stupid to root against them. This isnt the old days where we dont know much about the other countrymen
We see miggy and altuve and lindor, beltran, yadi, tehran, didi, andrelton, etc every night. Its pretty easy to pull for them

I don't even look at this as a country tourney. I look at it as new teams and root for who i think is the most fun like i would with any other sport
I guess we just look at it differently then.  It's stupid for me to root for anyone else because I see it as playing for your country, not just a tourney for new teams.  What do you mean by new teams anyway?  Because you contradict yourself... if we see Beltran, Yadi, and Altuve on MLB teams, how are these "new" teams?  It's a different arrangement of players, yes, but not "new" teams... that's why I see it as playing for a country.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well instead of seeing yadi on the cards
Hes on the puerto rican team

So its like hes on a new team

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The tourney's dumb anyways. If your aunt is Canadian you can basically play for the canadian team.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Honestly, I don't care.  I just think those who are against Team USA should have at least a logical reason, especially if they live in the country.  I think it's stupid to root against them if they're your own country.

Puerto Rico is a US Territory. What more reason do I need? It's not a matter of rooting "against Team USA" it's a matter of knowing geography. This isn't the World Cup. There are no Qualifying Matches to get in to the tournament. It is made up. 

You complain about people being too "sensitive" -- What exaclty did Mexi say that was wrong? All he said was the Puerto Rican fans made the game more interesting due to their enthusiasm compared to US fans. You responded to that, which started this whole bullshit. He's not wrong. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
snipezo said:
The tourney's dumb anyways. If your aunt is Canadian you can basically play for the canadian team.

Seth Lugo pitched for Puerto Rico - I'm pretty sure he has only visited Puerto Rico once in his life. Fake. SAD!

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:

Puerto Rico is a US Territory. What more reason do I need? It's not a matter of rooting "against Team USA" it's a matter of knowing geography. This isn't the World Cup. There are no Qualifying Matches to get in to the tournament. It is made up. 

You complain about people being too "sensitive" -- What exaclty did Mexi say that was wrong? All he said was the Puerto Rican fans made the game more interesting due to their enthusiasm compared to US fans. You responded to that, which started this whole bullshit. He's not wrong. 
I said a general statement about people being sensitive, and it was referring to Ian Kinsler's comments, not the actual remarks about the WBC.  In any case, it was a general statement, not a specific statement targeted toward anyone in particular.  

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
snipezo said:
I agree that there should be stricter rules about who plays where, but I don't think that inherently makes the competition "dumb."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%