Disgruntled Chiefs running back Larry Johnson speaks out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From arrowheadpride.com
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Early in the third quarter, Larry Johnson rumbled up the middle for a 2-yard gain, his 12th carry against the Oakland Raiders.

It turned out to be Johnson's last - and he didn't like it.

Unhappy with his role in a dismal offence, Johnson lashed out at Kansas City's coaching staff and front office Sunday, saying he didn't see himself being a part of the team in the future.

"Something's going on - I just don't know what it is," Johnson said after a 23-8 loss to Oakland in the Chiefs' home opener. "I'm going to sit down and talk with someone."

A two-time Pro Bowler, Johnson joined Eric Dickerson and Terrell Davis as the only players to rush for over 1,750 yards in consecutive seasons. He's third on Kansas City's all-time rushing list in just his sixth season and has been known as a workhorse back, owning Chiefs records for carries in a season (416) and a game (39 in 2006).

Once a star, Johnson has turned into a disgruntled bit player for a struggling franchise.

He played just seven games last season due to a foot injury and enhanced his reputation for being sullen and brooding by questioning the coaching staff's decisions.

Johnson had a relatively successful start to this season, running for a team-high 74 yards on 22 carries in a hard-fought 17-10 road loss to the defending AFC champion New England Patriots.

He didn't have nearly the same impact against the Raiders, finishing with 22 yards for a 1.8 per-carry average, and complained about it afterward.

"I've been here long enough to know that if I'm not getting the ball, then I'm tired," he said. "If I'm not tired and I'm not getting the ball, something's going on and I've got to deal with it."

Maybe Johnson just isn't looking at the big picture.

The Chiefs were once a dominating running team, pounding opponents with huge offensive linemen and talented running backs like Johnson, Priest Holmes and Christian Okoye.

Kansas City isn't that team anymore, those linemen replaced by inexperienced youngsters, the running game nearly non-existent. The Chiefs managed just 1,248 yards rushing a year ago - 541 less than Johnson had in 2006 - and have averaged a paltry 3.41 yards on 46 carries this season.

The Raiders all but shut down Kansas City's running game Sunday, holding the Chiefs to 55 yards on 19 carries - 15 of that on a rumbling scramble by quarterback Damon Huard.

Trailing 13-0 midway through the third quarter, Kansas City abandoned its running game, forced into a passing offence to make up the ground.

"We felt coming into the game that we'd have some shots, some runs that we felt we'd be able to run and we didn't do it," Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said.

Johnson agreed the game plan had to change late because of the deficit. He just didn't like the way the Chiefs got into that position, particularly with him not getting the ball.

"It just didn't happen for me today because of personnel changes," he said. "I've always needed 20-30 carries, that's always been me. It's tough not being able to get into a rhythm."

It was enough for Johnson to say he doesn't expect to be a part of the Chiefs' future.

"Right now, I don't see it," he said. "I'm going to do my part, what I can do right now and hopefully we can get back on track next week."
Ugh, we should have traded him last summer when he had trade value.

http://www.sportzin.com/forums/index.php?s...y+Johnson\

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Next time you complain you fukkin crybaby how about you actually hit your holes and stop going down as soon as you get touched fukkin crybaby. I'm sick of LJ and herm

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm sick of LJ. The past two years it's either been whining, injury, or getting the ball and running for about 2 yards every time he gets the ball straight in the middle every single time.

Yes we suck and we're the youngest team in the NFL and rebuilding including our offensive line and of course it sucks but he could at least try. He looks so slow out there and at least Charles is showing something, same with Kolby Smith with that same offensive line.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He should be traded to San Diego to "spell" LT when he's out of the game for oh sayy... a 4th rounder?

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's a D1ck. The years he had those great numbers we had a great line. LJ has no heart thats his problem. I'm sick of Carl peterson puttin out horrible players and i'm sick of herm football retard 101 gameplan

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
that or learn to catch out of the backfield better like Holmes did.. if he could do that, he wouldn't have to whine so much.

KC -- DET ... two wonderful teams this year in need of new management

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I mean in all my years of being a chiefs fan i have never felt embarrased like i did today. The first half has to be the worst first half the nfl has ever seen.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really don't like Herm. I like the youth movement we're committed to, it was needed being the oldest team in the league and not doing anything about 2 years ago, but I just don't know if with how conservative he is, and how he doesn't really take any chances, how our young players can really shine.

We just need some more hope looking towards the upcoming years. Because right now watching our offense is like watching nothing. I mean 13 points in two games combined.

Our defense hasn't looked to terrible actually. Although our run defense was terrible today.

Bernard Pollard has been our best player all year probably so far.

2 fumbles forced today, 1 recovered, knocked out Brady for the year, and 12 tackles so far

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Herm is not meant to be a head coach. Everybody at the game should have got a refund because we suck period. I'm down with rebuliding but you gotta mix some solid vets in there too. I mean we looked like a damn jv team out there. We are 31 mill under the cap and yet we sign scrubs.

I guess we will need the money for the first pick in the draft. Hunt doesnt care as long as them dumb fans fill up the stadium. We need to have a blackout

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
Herm was a good coach with the Jets or at least was for a few seasons. He lead them to the playoffs.

Chiefs don't really have much talent. No QB. Running game is decent. Gonzalez and Bowe can't do everything. Defense is meh.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lol on espn's recap of the game. first line it reads this

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- If Lane Kiffin does get fired by the Oakland Raiders, he might want to apply for employment in Kansas City.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Herm was a good coach with the Jets or at least was for a few seasons. He lead them to the playoffs.

Chiefs don't really have much talent. No QB. Running game is decent. Gonzalez and Bowe can't do everything. Defense is meh.
Bowe sucks to. He's nothin but a chiseled johnnie morton. He has stone hands. I mean we have devard darling as a startin receiver wtf man.

Herm is by no means a good coach. I wouldnt let him coach my lilttle brother pee wee football team

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
Bowe sucks to. He's nothin but a chiseled johnnie morton. He has stone hands. I mean we have devard darling as a startin receiver wtf man.

Herm is by no means a good coach. I wouldnt let him coach my lilttle brother pee wee football team
Johnnie Morton lol. He was decent for a few seasons in Detroit. Had a couple of 1000 yards receiving seasons. I remember him getting his ass kick a couple years backed.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Bowe is good. He is just getting double teamed because we have no other respectable receivers. He's dropped one or two easy balls though both games. But he's still the receiver of the future. I feel bad this might be the team we send Tony out with.

And for everyone to know how bad Larry Johnson has been

34 carries, 96 yards this year

That's 2.8 yards per carry

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Bowe is good. He is just getting double teamed because we have no other respectable receivers. He's dropped one or two easy balls though both games. But he's still the receiver of the future. I feel bad this might be the team we send Tony out with.

And for everyone to know how bad Larry Johnson has been

34 carries, 96 yards this year

That's 2.8 yards per carry
Bowe sucks maple. I mean the dude had 5 drops last week and he wasnt anything great today. This whole team is a joke. You know your team sucks when the highlight of your halftime performance is justin vargas gettin hurt

VC15

Reaction score
LOL at Chiefs fans pain

More likely to go winless: Chiefs or Lions?

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well Lions have more talent. We might be able to make a bowl game with the roster we have now if we played in college

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lol bowl game. They wouldnt even beat Rockhurst or Blue springs and they are high school teams.

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
LOL at Chiefs fans pain

More likely to go winless: Chiefs or Lions?
Chiefs. Lions at least shown that we have some fight in us by coming back and takin the lead 25-24 for about 30 seconds. Kitna hopefully gets benched. Plus we have the Niners next week. I'm tryin to stay positive a lot of football left to play. Vikings 0-2 and Bears 1-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%