20011 NFL Mock Draft, Version 5.0 (Trade Edition)

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jeff Risdon/RealGM -
Normal mock draft protocol dictates that every team stands pat in their draft slots. We all know that simply does not happen, so this edition features trades that I believe are plausible.

The trades that I shamelessly created are marked with an asterisk.

The bottom picks of every round are still TBD as the playoffs continue.

As always, these picks do not always reflect the decisions I would make with the given picks, but rather represent what I believe the given teams would do in the given scenarios. I do concoct a “What I would do” mock after the Combine, which often looks freakishly different from the standard mock drafts. Stay tuned!

Round 1

1.Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn-- His dominant turn in the national championship game overcomes his propensity for dirty play and dumb penalties. Carolina needs an interior force more than they need an edge rusher and they know it.

2.Denver Broncos: Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson-- New Coach John Fox knows the value of a premier pass rusher with great size; he had Julius Peppers, the player Bowers most readily compares to, with Carolina with (mostly) great success for years. The defensive overhaul starts here.

3.Buffalo Bills: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU-- This organization has never been afraid to choose overwhelming talent at one spot over overwhelming need at another. Peterson has great size and plays with panache, which brings some welcome spice to a defense that lacks identity.

4.Cincinnati Bengals: Cameron Jordan, DE, California-- I suspect they will be strongly tempted by Cam Newton, but they go with another Cam that can provide more immediate help. Jordan brings better size but also tremendous quickness to a defensive line that needs both. If he had played in the SEC, this slot would seem low.

5.Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M-- Miller is exactly what Arizona needs, a premium young speed rusher that isn’t one-dimensional. With a fully recovered O’Brien Schofield, the Cards would have a pair of talented young OLBs to build around.

6.Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia-- Pat Shurmur comes from the Rams, where he had a stud rookie QB that desperately needed WR help. Now he inherits another promising rookie QB that also happens to desperately need WR help. Green’s suspension might actually help his draft stock: Georgia was a fundamentally different team with him in the lineup, and he’s got all the tools to make an excellent #1 NFL WR.

7.*Washington Redskins (from SF): Cam Newton, QB, Auburn-- The Niners trade the #7 pick to the Redskins for the #10 pick, both of their 5th rounders, and QB Donovan McNabb. Washington takes the dynamic Heisman winner with visions of John Elway and Ben Roethlisberger in Mike Shanahan’s steely eyes.

8.Tennessee Titans: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri-- Jeff Fisher executed the power play to exile Vince Young, but that left him with the rapidly declining greybeard Kerry Collins and “The Texans(!) shut me out” Rusty Smith at quarterback. Gabbert excels at shorter throws and moves well for a bigger guy, but he has the arm to stretch the field and keep Kenny Britt happy too. It is at this point I feel compelled to remind readers that these picks do not necessarily reflect what I would do with the given pick.

9.Dallas Cowboys: Derek Sherrod, T, Mississippi State-- Sherrod has the quickest feet and best natural athleticism of the top-tier tackles, and the Cowboys sorely need those characteristics up front.

10.*San Francisco 49ers (from WAS): Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa-- Powerful anchor-type end fits well in their defensive scheme, and they took care of the pressing need for a starting QB by picking up McNabb in the trade.

11.Houston Texans: Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina-- New defensive coordinator Wade Philips needs outside pass rushers to make the transition to a 3-4, and Quinn was the best of the lot in 2009 before missing 2010 with eligibility issues. A team that starts guys busted for steroids at both ILB and LT will have no trouble overlooking those agent-related issues.

12.*St. Louis Rams (from MIN): Julio Jones, WR, Alabama-- The Vikings trade the #12 pick and their 4th round pick to the Rams for the #14 pick and the Rams’ 3rd round pick (#78). The Rams move up to get the physical Jones, who immediately becomes the #1 receiver that Sam Bradford so desperately needs. He’s not a downfield burner, but they have those already and need someone with his size, strength, and hands.

13.Detroit Lions: Anthony Castonzo, T, Boston College-- The experienced BC mauler upgrades the pass blocking, allowing Jeff Backus to slide into LG and giving the Lions their best OL since the early Barry Sanders years. He’ll go higher if he adds some lower body bulk.

14.*Jacksonville Jaguars (from STL via MIN): Jake Locker, QB, Washington-- The Vikings continue to fall back, trading STL’s #14 pick to Jacksonville for the #16 pick and a 2012 2nd round pick. The Jaguars throw the curveball, opting to trade up ahead of two QB-needy teams to select Locker, who has great aesthetics and intangibles but lacks accuracy.

15.Miami Dolphins: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama-- Miami opts to bolster the defensive line with the active Dareus, who is familiar with the 3-man front and boasts great ability to get off blocks and flow to the ball.

16.*Minnesota Vikings (from JAX via STL): Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska-- Lack of top-end speed dings his draft stock a little, but the big corner is a good fit for Leslie Frazier’s defensive scheme.

17.New England Patriots (from OAK): Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State-- Two surprises with this pick. First, the Pats actually keep a pick in a mock that features trades! Second, Heyward rises up higher than you’ll likely see him anywhere else. He’s an ideal 3-4 end for Belichick’s defense and dominated more than most scouts give him credit.

18.San Diego Chargers: Nate Solder, T, Colorado-- Great balance and coordination for such a tall guy make Solder a potential star, but he needs to add some base strength and learn to set up wider. San Diego has time to groom the former tight end, who has the biggest upside of any tackle in this draft

19.New York Giants: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri-- The G-Men jump at the early entrant, as they need to replace both projected starting OLBs. Smith draws comparisons to Julian Peterson as a hybrid pass rusher, albeit a very inexperienced one, and it’s worth noting that Peterson is on the market as well. Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more…

20.Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy-- The Bucs scored with Benn and Williams as rookie wideouts last year, and they add the dynamic slot receiver in Jernigan to complement them. He’s this year’s Percy Harvin, and the Bucs need someone to make plays in between the hashes.

21.Kansas City Chiefs: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State-- Expect major changes up front defensively for the Chiefs, who are ready to call Tyson Jackson a bust and need a legit space-eating starting NT as well. Paea fills the latter bill quite nicely.

22.Indianapolis Colts: Tyron Smith, T, USC-- The offensive line needs a major overhaul, and the quick-but-light Smith fits the Bill Polian ideals for a left tackle. I see the D’Brickashaw Ferguson comparisons but also the Tony Ugoh ones, which is the primary reason why the Colts need to use this pick on a tackle.

23.*Green Bay Packers (from PHI): J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin-- The Eagles trade the #23 pick to Green Bay for the #29 pick and the Packers’ 3rd rounder (#94). Green Bay moves up to take Cheesehead hero Watt, a high-motored young version of LB coach Kevin Greene. All the injuries this year have given the Packers strong enough depth going forward to deal a pick to move up.

24.New Orleans Saints: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama-- With Pierre Thomas and perhaps Reggie Bush both moving on, the Saints need a new backfield toy to help Drew Brees. Ingram’s skill in the passing game and experience in a shared backfield is a plus.

25.Seattle Seahawks: Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State-- It doesn’t matter who is playing QB or RB if the Seahawks don’t get immediate help up front. Wisniewski isn’t as high-end as some recent 1st round centers (Pouncey, Mack) but he’s a very safe, durable pick. Emphasis on the “durable” makes him more attractive to Seattle.

26.*San Francisco 49ers (from BAL): Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado-- The 49ers make another move, trading their 2nd round pick (#39) and both their 2012 2nd and 4th rounders to Baltimore to move up and get the big, speedy Smith.

27.Atlanta Falcons: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue-- Finding more pass rush is an imperative, and Kerrigan made a living in opposing backfields despite frequent double teams. He reminds me of Clay Matthews the elder with his high motor, good timing and great football IQ.

28.*Carolina Panthers (from NE): Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas-- The Patriots trade the #32 pick to Carolina for the Panthers’ 2012 2nd and 3rd round picks and RB Deangelo Williams. Carolina swoops in to take the strong-armed Mallett, who has some Philip Rivers to him. New Coach Ron Rivera knows Rivers well and also has no ties to Jimmy Clausen, who was inexplicably awful as a rookie last year.

29.*Philadelphia Eagles (from GB): Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA-- Ayers bring more size and menace to a defense in need of both. Expect the new DC to want to reshape the defense with an impact player, and Ayers makes a lot of splashy plays.

30.New York Jets: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami FL-- Both starting WRs (Edwards & Holmes) are potential free agents, which means the Jets must strike quickly to help The Sanchize. The much-improved Hankerson looks more attractive when you consider the erratic QB play he dealt with at The U.

31.Chicago Bears: Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida-- The Bears address the problematic interior of their line with the versatile Pouncey, who can play both G or C. He’s not as high-end as his fabulous brother, but might be a better run blocker.

32.Pittsburgh Steelers: Gabe Carimi, T, Wisconsin-- Heavy-footed plow-horse is a prototypical Pittsburgh right tackle, an exceptional run blocker that is long enough to force perimeter rushers wider.

Round 2

33.*Arizona Cardinals (from NE via CAR): Ben Ijalana, G/T, Villanova-- The Cardinals trade #37 overall and their 2012 2nd round pick to move up and take Ijalana. If you’re wondering about their dreadful QB situation, I expect they will wind up with Vince Young…and Alex Smith.

34.Denver Broncos: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
35.Buffalo Bills: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
36.CCincinnati Bengals: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

37.*Denver Broncos (from NE via ARI): Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech-- Denver trades #47 overall and #66 overall to New England for this pick and a conditional 2012 5th-7th rounder.

38.Cleveland Browns: Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh
39.*Baltimore Ravens (from SF): Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
40. Tennessee Titans: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

41.*Detroit Lions (from DAL): Justin Houston, LB, Georgia-- The Lions trade #45 overall, DT Andre Fluellen, and a 6th round pick to Dallas for this pick and their lowest 7th rounder.

42. Washington Redskins: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

43. *Oakland Raiders (from HOU): Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State-- The Raiders trade #49 overall, their 4th round pick this year, and a 2nd round pick in 2012 to Houston for this pick and DT Amobi Okoye.

44.*Denver Broncos (from MIN): Brandon Harris, CB, Miami FL-- The Vikings trade this pick and their 5th round pick to Denver for QB Kyle Orton.

45.*Dallas Cowboys (from DET): Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
46.St. Louis Rams: Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
47.*New England Patriots (from DEN via MIA): Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
48.Jacksonville Jaguars: Robert Sands, S, West Virginia
49.*Houston Texans (from OAK): Rodney Hudson, G, Florida State
50.San Diego Chargers: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh

51.*San Diego Chargers (from NYG): Allen Bailey, DE, Miami FL-- The Giants trade this pick to the Chargers for #59 overall and a 2012 2nd round pick

52.Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
53.Kansas City Chiefs: Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma
54.Indianapolis Colts: Dontay Moch, LB, Nevada

55.*Chicago Bears (from PHI): Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina-- The Eagles trade this pick to Chicago for their 3rd round pick and a 2012 2nd round pick.

56.New Orleans Saints: Mason Foster, LB, Washington
57.Seattle Seahawks: Marcus Cannon, G/T, TCU
58.Baltimore Ravens: Quan Sturdivant, LB, North Carolina
59.Atlanta Falcons: D.J. Williams, TE, Arkansas
60.New England Patriots: Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
61.*New York Giants (from SD via NYJ): Demarcus Love, T, Arkansas

62.*San Diego Chargers (from CHI): Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland-- The Bears trade this pick to San Diego for both of the Chargers’ 3rd round picks (#82 and #89).

63.Green Bay Packers: Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
64.Pittsburgh Steelers: DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma

Round 3

65.Carolina Panthers: Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson
66.*New England Patriots (from DEN): Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
67.Buffalo Bills: Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton
68.Cincinnati Bengals: Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
69.Arizona Cardinals: Jaiquawn Jarrett, S, Temple

70.*New England Patriots (from CLE): Jordan Todman, RB, UConn-- The Browns trade this pick and a 2012 3rd round pick to New England for the Patriots picks at #76 and #92

71.San Francisco 49ers: Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware
72.Tennessee Titans: Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsin
73.Dallas Cowboys: Ahmad Black, S, Florida
74.New Orleans Saints (from WAS): Cecil Shorts III, WR, Mount Union
75.Houston Texans: Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
76.*Cleveland Browns (from NE via MIN): Jason Pinkston, T, Pittsburgh
77.Detroit Lions: Tyler Sash, S, Iowa
78.*Minnesota Vikings (from STL): John Moffitt, G, Wisconsin
79.Miami Dolphins: Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas State
80.Jacksonville Jaguars: Ross Homan, LB, Ohio State
81.Oakland Raiders: Sam Acho, DE, Texas

82.*Kansas City Chiefs (from SD via CHI): DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss-- The Bears trade this pick to the Chiefs for DT Tyson Jackson and a conditional 2012 pick

83.New York Giants: Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma
84.Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cliff Matthews, DE, South Carolina
85.Kansas City Chiefs: Stanley Havili, FB, USC
86.Indianapolis Colts: Brian Rolle, LB, Ohio State
87.Philadelphia Eagles: Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky
88.New Orleans Saints: Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa
89.*Chicago Bears (from SD via SEA): Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
90.Baltimore Ravens: Jabara Williams, LB, Stephen F. Austin
91.Atlanta Falcons: Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
92.*Cleveland Browns (from NE): Mike Mohamed, LB, California

93.*Cincinnati Bengals (from NYJ): Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada -- The Jets trade this pick to Cincinnati for Chad Ochocinco and a 7th round pick.

94.*Philadelphia Eagles (from CHI): James Brewer, T, Indiana
95.*Philadelphia Eagles (from GB): Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
96. Pittsburgh Steelers: Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hmmm not sure about the Washington and San Fran trade...if I were San Fran i'd rather take a young Cam that may or may not turn out to be a good QB, rather than an aging McNabb who seems to only be digressing.

I like St. Louis taking Julio, I think that would be an excellent fit. Also the Jags trading in front of other teams that need a QB makes sense...but I kinda doubt that happens.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Please god, we need AJ..

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Jets aren't going WR. We're going DL or FS.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I don't like this one as much. I'd prefer to see us go defense first. Getting a LB and S would be fine with me.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't like this one as much. I'd prefer to see us go defense first. Getting a LB and S would be fine with me.
We'd take Prince if available.
Also it says we would draft Castonzo to move Backus to LG...Which is where we have Rob Sims, who had a great season.
Doesn't make much sense lol.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why would the Redskins trade up for Newton? He's not even worth a top 20 pick, and shouldn't be taken by anyone above the redskins...so why trade up for a guy that will be there at 10?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
LOL I love this mock for NE

We get:
DE Heyward- IMO big sleeper in scouting so far
2012 2nd (CAR)
2012 3rd (CAR)
RB Deangelo Williams- REALLY like this
2012 2nd (ARI)
LB Wilson
LB Jones- Like this
CB House
2012 3rd (CLE)
RB Jordan TODMAN- LOVE LOVE LOVE (im from CT)

So NE get the #3 RB in college football last year, a very good DE with a high ceiling, a good LB, an excelent RB in Williams, 2 nobodys (Wilson and House), and 2 2nds and 2 3rds in the next round

:faint:

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
82.*Kansas City Chiefs (from SD via CHI): DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss-- The Bears trade this pick to the Chiefs for DT Tyson Jackson and a conditional 2012 pick

wow. 2 years and they gave up on the former 3rd overall. thats sad

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
LOL Pouncey, people forget that he didn't come out last year because he received a 4th-5th round grade. Hes nowhere near his brother in talent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%