T.O. blames coaches for Bengals' bad campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
CINCINNATI -- Receiver Terrell Owens says the Cincinnati Bengals' lousy season is the result of underachieving "from the top down," and he particularly points a finger at the coaches.

Teammate Chad Ochocinco asked Owens during "The T.Ocho Show" on Versus cable network Tuesday night why he thinks the team is 2-11.

"I think there's underachieving from the top down," Owens said. "You start with the owner, you start with the coaches. And, obviously, we as players, we are a product of what the coaches are coaching us throughout the course of the week.

"Of course, we have to go out there and play the game. But in order for us to do what we're allowed to do at the best of our abilities, the coaches have to put the players in the best position."

Owens has been diplomatic most of the season, which quickly spiraled out of control. He had only one catch for 22 yards during a 23-7 defeat Sunday in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati's 10th straight defeat to match the franchise record for consecutive losses in a season.

In the past couple of weeks, Owens has implied that the Bengals are getting outcoached and not making very good adjustments to opposing defenses. His comments Tuesday were his most pointed yet.

Wearing a T-shirt that had "I (heart) Keeping It Real" printed on the front, Owens noted that he signed a one-year deal with Cincinnati to improve its passing game and help the defending AFC North champions go deeper into the playoffs. Owens has been productive -- he ranks among the league's top six receivers in catches and yards -- but the offense overall is in the bottom third.

"Yeah, my frustration pretty much is at an all-time high," Owens said. "I pretty much have been quiet all year, but the fact that I was brought in here to kind of help this team get to the playoffs, and to be where we are right now is very disappointing."

The Bengals have only two winning records in the past 20 years, one of the worst stretches of futility in league history. Owens turned 37 last week and is a free agent after the season. The Bengals have an option to keep Ochocinco for one more year. Coach Marvin Lewis' contract is up after the season.

Owens asked Ochocinco why he thinks the Bengals are 2-11. Only Carolina is worse at 1-12.

"I'm not sure why we're 2-11 this year," Ochocinco said. "But the thing with me is I've become numb to the situation of losing, being that I've lost for such a long time that I have not been able to point the finger on what it really is."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T.O. is the best thing to happen to this team, he will speak up on what the real issues are.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I also respect T.O.'s input because it's true. Maybe something will actually get done, he's speaking nothing but the truth. Good job T.O., proud of you!

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just sounds like TO throwing his coaches under the bus, and not taking responsiblity as a player.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Its really not TOs fault at all.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Just sounds like TO throwing his coaches under the bus, and not taking responsiblity as a player.
T.O. is speaking nothing but the truth, there's just no players on the team, aside from T.O. that will speak their mind. He can only do soo much, he's contributed in great ways this year.

Dorado

LiveLoveA$AP
Reaction score
Yeah it wasnt T.O's fault. They actually had the pieces this year to make a good run. And I still have hope in Palmer. I thin think if they get a new coach, keep palmer and take advantage of that draft pick they can make some serious noise next year.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Definitely not TO's fault. He's been one of the few positives for them this year. They just haven't played up to par. It does seem like he is throwing the coaches under the bus, but sometimes that coaches deserve it. As long as they take Mike Brown under the bus with them.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Definitely not TO's fault. He's been one of the few positives for them this year. They just haven't played up to par. It does seem like he is throwing the coaches under the bus, but sometimes that coaches deserve it. As long as they take Mike Brown under the bus with them.
I'm glad he's throwing Marvin under the bus cause he sucks, along with Mike Brown. He called out both, "from the top down." Owner to coaches. He's really going to be stirring things up soon, and it will probably be the best for the team, for the future.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Once Mike Brown is no longer the Owner of this team, it will be an entirely different team/organization.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Can't blame him, he speaks his mind. Sometimes it's the whole wrong place wrong time -- but it was needed in this situation.

Let's not forget T.O. has now played on five teams, I think he knows when something is wrong. He may be a clown, but he's no fool.

Dorado

LiveLoveA$AP
Reaction score
Can't blame him, he speaks his mind. Sometimes it's the whole wrong place wrong time -- but it was needed in this situation.

Let's not forget T.O. has now played on five teams, I think he knows when something is wrong. He may be a clown, but he's no fool.
I like that! Good shit.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Thank you...

I actually bought the T.O. book a few months ago, like I said this guy isn't a fool. He knows what to do and how to do it. Did he cry over Tony Romo? Sure he did, he's an emotional guy, doesn't change the fact he nearly ended his career to play in a superbowl game.

I've always liked Owens, I think he brings a lot to football in a sense.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Thank you...

I actually bought the T.O. book a few months ago, like I said this guy isn't a fool. He knows what to do and how to do it. Did he cry over Tony Romo? Sure he did, he's an emotional guy, doesn't change the fact he nearly ended his career to play in a superbowl game.

I've always liked Owens, I think he brings a lot to football in a sense.
I'm starting to like him a lot more, especially if needed changes are made.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
He's not that bad of a guy. He may annoy the <Censored> out of most of us, but I think that the good in him is coming out later in his career.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Keep in mind T.O. has played well this season (he has not quit) and has stated a desire to return.

Put that together with the criticism of the coaching and the message is that he thinks these players can win with good coaching. In a way it is the opposite of bengalized - he wants the team to succeed and is speaking up in hopes of driving needed change.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
He's having a better season that Moss, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%