Salary Cap/Floor?

catman

Reaction score
Could MLB adopt a salary cap/floor?  This would force teams to spend at least X amount of money and not allow them to spend more than Y amount of money on salaries?
Lets say salaries must be in the range $75MM -- $200M.  Would that work?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This has long been debated in forums I'm frequented over the years and I've always argued against. The Yankees have overspent their competition for years and ironically won less rings, the more they tried to buy talent.  At the same token, piss poor teams like the Rays and A's have managed to stay competitive.  Even better example is the fiscally responsible Royals and their back-to-back trips to the World Series.

This is a legit argument if baseball had a problem with competitive balance but they really don't.  Teams that are loaded with All Star talent generally have nothing on the Farm.  Regardless, neither the owners and players would agree to cap/floor.  Players stand to make less with a salary cap and wealthy teams would argue against being able to spend more because they make more.  All the same, there's some poor teams that couldn't live without the luxury tax and player compensation systems.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
baseball is statistically the most balanced league among the big four

no need for caps at all

brett05

Reaction score
I would love the cap only if their is a floor to go with it.  Giving teams cash because of market and penalizing teams over a "fluid" ceiling is not right.  Make teams try.  The system right now says if you are a small market team, money is coming and you can do with it as you want.  Like the Cardinals need money. 

I vote yes on the Floor/Ceiling Cap.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Again, it would never happen. Especially the floor. Marlins would be fucked.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Im not ignoring the mlb players union. Why would MLBPA agree to it? They dragged out Ohtanis posting under the new (at the time pending) deal because they didn't like that his Japanese team was getting more $ than the player. You think theyd agree to a salary cap for the entire league?

If anything they woukd be ok with a minimum, or floor, because then team's woukd have to sign a few more players to make the quota - but I can't see why they would agree to a max. Players are making bank right now.

brett05

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Im not ignoring the mlb players union. Why would MLBPA agree to it? They dragged out Ohtanis posting under the new (at the time pending) deal because they didn't like that his Japanese team was getting more $ than the player. You think theyd agree to a salary cap for the entire league?

If anything they woukd be ok with a minimum, or floor, because then team's woukd have to sign a few more players to make the quota - but I can't see why they would agree to a max. Players are making bank right now.
They'd make more with a floor and the concession to owners would be a cap.  It can and I believe will be negotiated within the nest 2-3 labor agreements.  It's also good for the sport.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:

Was going to say this, just didn't want everyone thinking i was on crystal meth lol.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Baseball is so much fun because there is no salary cap... adding one would diminish the sport in my opinion.  I love the business side of things, it's like no other sport.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
I would love the cap only if their is a floor to go with it.  Giving teams cash because of market and penalizing teams over a "fluid" ceiling is not right.  Make teams try.  The system right now says if you are a small market team, money is coming and you can do with it as you want.  Like the Cardinals need money. 

I vote yes on the Floor/Ceiling Cap.

Technically yes, however, some small market teams have been pressured by MLB to spend more money on players and try to field better teams. I believe the Royals were the last team to be called out on it, just prior to the Dayton Moore arrival.

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:

Technically yes, however, some small market teams have been pressured by MLB to spend more money on players and try to field better teams. I believe the Royals were the last team to be called out on it, just prior to the Dayton Moore arrival.
Call someone gay if they land the hot wife, who cares?  Pressures need to be rules, not banter.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Call someone gay if they land the hot wife, who cares?  Pressures need to be rules, not banter.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Look at teams like the Yankees and dodgers making moves to get under the lux tax

The new lux tax rules pretty much is a salary cap

brett05

Reaction score
Mexi said:
Look at teams like the Yankees and dodgers making moves to get under the lux tax

The new lux tax rules pretty much is a salary cap
Certainly better than nothing

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I just assumed they wanted to get under for a year before the next big FA class.

catman

Reaction score
If they reset their salary, they can avoid paying a whole lot in luxury taxes next year.  They will pay .30 for every dollar they go over the threshold the way it is now.  If they can reset they will pay less than .10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%