• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   catman

catman

• 697 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:36 PM

An agreement was reached between the MLBPA and NPL on posting fees:

http://m.mlb.com/new...g-deal-reached/

He will be subject to the international signing bonus pool, so the Yankees, Rangers, Twins and Astros may have the advantages.  This said, he will likely go where he can get the most endorsements.  The Yankees and Dodgers may have the advantages in this.

Let the bidding begin.

#2 OFFLINE   AE.

AE.

Vottomatic

• Hall of Fame
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

Most International Signing Bonus Pool Money per MLB.com:

Rangers: $3.535M

Yankees: $3.5M

Twins: $3.245M

Pirates: $2.267M

I like the Yanks' chances going in on this.  The Rangers are a darkhorse as they have the money and obviously know what they're doing on the international market.

#3 OFFLINE   catman

catman

• 697 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

Money is not likely a primary concern, as if he'd have waited a couple more years, he could have signed for $150MM or so and he won't be able to sign for more than $3.6MM now.

#4 OFFLINE   AE.

AE.

Vottomatic

• Hall of Fame
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

Money is not likely a primary concern, as if he'd have waited a couple more years, he could have signed for $150MM or so and he won't be able to sign for more than $3.6MM now.

It’s not a primary concern but I doubt he spurns the Yankees and $3.5M for a smaller market team that will pay a couple million less. There’s more money, in addition to salary, to be made in the Big Apple than anywhere else.

#5 ONLINE   bosoxlover12

bosoxlover12

• Global Moderator
  • 33,045 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

I havent read much of anything about this international signings cap, so I dont know if there is a known solution or not, but whats to stop an unofficial agreement to sign a deal under the cap for a year, and then sign the $100M contract the year following?

1521990862-U12230.png

#6 OFFLINE   GMF1991

GMF1991

Shocking The World

• Head Administrator
  • 33,995 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

I havent read much of anything about this international signings cap, so I dont know if there is a known solution or not, but whats to stop an unofficial agreement to sign a deal under the cap for a year, and then sign the $100M contract the year following?

He's subject to minor league contract. 3 years minimum, then 3 years arbitration.

Ceap63JW4AA82v_.jpg

#7 ONLINE   bosoxlover12

bosoxlover12

• Global Moderator
  • 33,045 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

thats lame as fuck

1521990862-U12230.png

#8 OFFLINE   catman

catman

• 697 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

But those are the rules.  He will likely be in the bigs next year at or near major league minimum salary.  

#9 ONLINE   bosoxlover12

bosoxlover12

• Global Moderator
  • 33,045 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:06 PM

But those are the rules.  He will likely be in the bigs next year at or near major league minimum salary.  

Rules that were put into place just this year and only because small market teams complained about not being able to offer as much as Boston LA and NY.

Players will still sign with the larger markets because the money is so close and theyll get better career earnings in a big market. If I were a young prospect, thered be very little to convince me to join Milwaukee over the Dodgers

So the only ones who lose are the players who lost like $40m+ from this. The teams dont lose nearly as bad as youd believe

1521990862-U12230.png

#10 OFFLINE   GMF1991

GMF1991

Shocking The World

• Head Administrator
  • 33,995 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

It's because of his age if he waited 2 years [25] he woukd get more than Tanaka.

Ceap63JW4AA82v_.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   AE.

AE.

Vottomatic

• Hall of Fame
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

Rules that were put into place just this year and only because small market teams complained about not being able to offer as much as Boston LA and NY.
Players will still sign with the larger markets because the money is so close and theyll get better career earnings in a big market. If I were a young prospect, thered be very little to convince me to join Milwaukee over the Dodgers
So the only ones who lose are the players who lost like $40m+ from this. The teams dont lose nearly as bad as youd believe

Actually they were put in place because of MLBPA. International Free Agents are rookies and should be subjected to the same rookie contract structure as North American players who enter the league via draft.

#12 OFFLINE   Coach

Coach

Mid Draft Prospect

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

Call me crazy, but I feel like the Japanese hype machines are due for a letdown. We have seen a bunch in a row hit as MLB successes. It feels like we are due for a dud. I have a gut feeling Ohtani will not be all he is billed up to be. 

Houston Astros 2017 World Champions

~God First~Others Second~Self Last~

Twitter: @mjharvey12

#13 OFFLINE   AE.

AE.

Vottomatic

• Hall of Fame
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

Call me crazy, but I feel like the Japanese hype machines are due for a letdown. We have seen a bunch in a row hit as MLB successes. It feels like we are due for a dud. I have a gut feeling Ohtani will not be all he is billed up to be.

The difference with Ohtani is his age. He’s young and most likely isn’t rushed to the big league diamond.

#14 OFFLINE   Mexi

Mexi

"What a guy. Wow. Amazing. Beautiful."

• Hall of Fame
  • 55,197 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

You cant look at otani's stuff and say hes going to be a dud lol
lel

And YOURE the reason people on this board are rooting against Houston, if you didnt pick up on that earlier... now FOH.

#15 OFFLINE   .ptt81

.ptt81

Legend

• 12,435 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

That statement has been said how many times about international guys?^

Let's see him in big league action before we come to conclusions. I'm reserving judgment until then and not getting too excited. There are no absolutes with prospects.

JBJ-12.03.13-PM.gif?b22247

WIN. DANCE. REPEAT.

#16 ONLINE   snipezo

snipezo

Legend

• Hall of Fame
  • 27,621 posts
  • NBA Sim League:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

Even if he doesn't pan out as a pitcher, he can always transition to being a full time hitter. But if neither of those plans work, then he's shit out of luck.

#17 OFFLINE   GMF1991

GMF1991

Shocking The World

• Head Administrator
  • 33,995 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:49 PM

He has one more option than 99.99% of mlb players.

Ceap63JW4AA82v_.jpg

#18 OFFLINE   Mexi

Mexi

"What a guy. Wow. Amazing. Beautiful."

• Hall of Fame
  • 55,197 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Let's see him in big league action before we come to conclusions. I'm reserving judgment until then and not getting too excited. There are no absolutes with prospects.

MLB the Shohei 2019
lel

And YOURE the reason people on this board are rooting against Houston, if you didnt pick up on that earlier... now FOH.

#19 OFFLINE   PWNdroia

PWNdroia

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Gyroball

READ THE FINE PRINT

#20 OFFLINE   AE.

AE.

Vottomatic

• Hall of Fame
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Gyroball

Ah the legend of the gyro pitch. Good times.

In other news, the Mariners are expected to make a huge push for Ohtani. They've only got $1.57M in bonus cap money but part of their pitch to Ohtani is to let him DH. The club is willing to play current DH Nelson Cruz in the outfield more to give Ohtani the at-bats they believe he's seeking.

Jerry DiPoto isn't messing around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 21 user(s)

The Guid, Teagz, catman, elcheato, .ptt81, bosoxlover12, Hurricane Season, Mexi, Coach, snipezo, CameronCrazy06, GMF1991, brett05, BrewCrewFan, JZsportswhiz, AiRuPtHeRe™, Big Bid'Ness, ASVP Vic, AE., PWNdroia, nolafan33

Social Media

Site Info