NYK News: Highs and Lows Ahead for new look Knicks

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
NYK News
dez
9/24/18 

Just two months into the season, the New York Knicks seem far removed from the team that raised the 2011 NBA Championship banner opening night. Sitting even, with a record of 13-13 (5th Div, 10th Conf) they have struggled to find their identity on offense and even more so on the defensive end. After a massive re-tooling of their Championship roster in the off-season, the new look Knicks have not only disappointed fans with their inconsistent play, but have seemed to completely abandon the defensive acumen, that played a pivitol part in last years run. Finding themselves at square one.

New York, on average, currently surrenders 103 points per contest, 2nd worst in the league.. A defense once led by DPOY candidate Tyson Chandler is now anchored by 2nd year All-Rookie DeMarcus Cousins, who has yet to play up to expectations. After arriving in New York by way of a blockbuster trade with Memphis (that saw New York swap 6 time champion Kobe Bryant for the younger Cousins) hes shown flashes of brilliance, but the young big has struggled mightily in D'Antoni's uptempo style, often forcing contested shots and finding himself lost in schemes.
 ​
"Boogie's" start in NY has been a rocky one, as he struggles to find his fit alongside new teammates and a new offense

Though his time in New York has been rough to this point, Cousins points out that the front office has showed nothing but complete faith and confidence in him (something that cant necessarily be said about fans..) he's also started to form a close friendship to teammate Carmelo Anthony, who like Cousins, entered the league with questions about his attitude and work ethic. "I know its tough for him, I know how it is here, and to come from a city like Memphis, born in Alabama... to a market like New York?.. its tough." Anthony went on to explain: "The media scrutinizes your every move, that's something you have to get used to playing here.. its something he's working on and his play aint nothing I'm worried about, he'll be fine. Half of this is mental, he's still young .. he'll find his niche and he'll be fine." 

Cousins' numbers have taken an understandable dip from his rookie year in Memphis, part of which can be attributed to his new teams, change in offensive style. A style that has begun to draw scrutiny from Knick fans and reportedly players alike.. which has led to rumblings of discourse between head coach Mike D'Antoni and star player Carmelo Anthony. Notably, during a time-out, in Wednesdays game against Minnesota, Anthony and D'Antoni had somewhat of a shouting match, before being separated by teammates, an incident where both men brushed off as "passion for the game." 
 ​
D'Antoni's change in pace, hasn't gone over well with players or FO.. but most importantly in the win column... could he be on the hot seat?

New York's new emphasis on pushing the pace and three-point shooting is a player friendly offense, but the Knicks have struggled to find the right players to fit. Currently, their much better built for this type of play then they were at the start of season, after bringing in floor stretch options like Memo Okur, Kyle Korver and Ben Gordon but still, have struggled to find any consistency. Much do to the fact, starting point guard Ty Lawson has struggled to stay healthy. "It kind of prolongs the process of getting used to your teammates and building that chemistry, but the good thing is he's healthy now and we've managed to stay at .500.. just two games out [of the playoffs] and a stretch of home games coming up so, now's the time." Anthony explains.. New Yorks roster underwent a complete overhaul and Anthony is the lone remainder, with a much bigger role as leader of this new young Knick team.

"I know it starts with me, they look to me as a leader so I have to follow suit. Kobe always said they see your actions better then they can hear your bark.. meaning lead by example.. we got us a very capable roster, its just all about finding the right offense, maximizing every player.. and currently with how our offense is run, I don't think we're maximizing everyone's talents." Anthony stated after their Loss to Minnesota.

New Yorks offense is capable of scoring in bunches, and with the players they have, could very well work and has shown signs.. problem is, their defense.. but with a favorable home stretch the Knicks will look to make a move up in the East. With 9 of their next 10 at home, the Knicks face a now or never approach. "You dont want to get to far behind, and we have a rare opportunity to make a significant run, having these many games at home in front of our fans." [Anthony] " This is where we'll see what we're made of, no more excuses. Its now or never."

The Knicks head off to Washington before a string of home games were they will face Boston, Detroit (2x), Dallas, LAL, Toronto, Sacramento and Miami all at home. 

"We're going to slow thing down a little, little more ball movement.. more ball pressure defensively, I told my guys we're going to start incorporating some schemes from last years teams and the main thing is effort, [Melo says] if the effort aint there.. theres a spot for you on the bench. Plain and simple."

The upcoming week is a big one for the Knicks, maybe even a bigger one for Mike D'Antoni, make sure to check back with us next week.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thanks fellas.. follow up will be better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%