• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AE.

AE.

Vottomatic

• Hall of Fame
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

Rich Eisen said on his radio show that MLB execs have considered a major change that would allow managers to bat any 3 players they wish in the 9th inning.

According to Eisen, the proposed rule would only apply to the ninth inning, and managers would be able to designate any three hitters to start the inning.

"Best argument is that no other sport has the best players sitting on the bench in the final minutes of a game. Imagine [Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James] or [New England Patriots quarterback] Tom Brady or [Pittsburgh Penguins forward] Sidney Crosby or [Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo] watching on the sideline."

It would be a pretty dramatic change but Im intrigued. Thoughts?

#2 OFFLINE   bosoxlover12

bosoxlover12

• Global Moderator
  • 34,104 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

thats so dumb

1533085612-U12230.png

#3 OFFLINE   Father Pugzo

Father Pugzo

#ForPaul

• Hall of Fame
  • 125,123 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:16 PM

that does not need to happen

1536417090-U3467.png

#4 OFFLINE   JZsportswhiz

JZsportswhiz

All Second Team

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:39 PM

That is incredibly dumb

If this was the done at say the start of the 13th inning I would be open to the idea, but to do this in the midst of a regular 9 inning game is absolute madness.

#5 OFFLINE   CameronCrazy06

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six

• Hall of Fame
  • 51,287 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:22 PM

Turrible

1502213674-U10.gif

CC's career is done here. the kid takes NO input at all and everything he does is "top secret". shit, he doesnt even post here since his whole fbb shit. fuck him

#6 OFFLINE   GMF1991

GMF1991

Shocking The World

• Head Administrator
  • 34,177 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:24 AM

This would kill the game

Ceap63JW4AA82v_.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   PWNdroia

PWNdroia

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:45 AM

I don't think it would make a huge difference to be honest.
<p><span style="font-size:24px;"><strong>READ THE FINE PRINT</strong></span></p>

#8 OFFLINE   brett05

brett05

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:21 AM

thats so dumb

QFT

#9 OFFLINE   GMF1991

GMF1991

Shocking The World

• Head Administrator
  • 34,177 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

I dont even buy this. If it was from an MLB guy like Rosenthal I might believe it. But Rich Eisen?

And how would this work? Can you bat a guy that already was taken out? do they swap with 3 players in the lineup, sorta like in a double switch?

Ceap63JW4AA82v_.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   bosoxlover12

bosoxlover12

• Global Moderator
  • 34,104 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

I dont even buy this. If it was from an MLB guy like Rosenthal I might believe it. But Rich Eisen?

And how would this work? Can you bat a guy that already was taken out? do they swap with 3 players in the lineup, sorta like in a double switch?

I would imagine it was like a double switch within the lineup, but its just so stupidly unfair

like you could be up 7-4 against the Yankees, entering the 8th inning, and have to face Judge-Stanton-Sanchez in back-to-back innings. how is that fair at all?

1533085612-U12230.png

#11 OFFLINE   catman

catman

• 730 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:52 PM

This is one thing I like about baseball, as opposed to the other sports.  You live with the players that you have on the field, in the batting order they are in.  No changes without removing a player.  

#12 OFFLINE   Mexi

Mexi

"What a guy. Wow. Amazing. Beautiful."

• Hall of Fame
  • 56,415 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

I would imagine it was like a double switch within the lineup, but its just so stupidly unfair

like you could be up 7-4 against the Yankees, entering the 8th inning, and have to face Judge-Stanton-Sanchez in back-to-back innings. how is that fair at all?

seager-turner-belli
Lets fucking go
Posted Image

lel

#13 OFFLINE   Father Pugzo

Father Pugzo

#ForPaul

• Hall of Fame
  • 125,123 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

This is one thing I like about baseball, as opposed to the other sports.  You live with the players that you have on the field, in the batting order they are in.  No changes without removing a player.  

exactly. baseball is way different from the other sports based on that alone. you cant change it. it changes the whole game imo

1536417090-U3467.png

#14 OFFLINE   PWNdroia

PWNdroia

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

It would really mess with closers too.  Managers would be making pitching changes based on the players, not on their 9th inning guy.

<p><span style="font-size:24px;"><strong>READ THE FINE PRINT</strong></span></p>

#15 OFFLINE   AE.

AE.

Vottomatic

• Hall of Fame
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

Would probably never happen for the 9th inning but I'd be all for in the 10th. I saw a few games that went deep in extras last season and not only does it wear out the players but it potentially fucks up scheduling. 

If allowing managers to bat any three players in extras innings stands to end the game sooner.

#16 OFFLINE   bosoxlover12

bosoxlover12

• Global Moderator
  • 34,104 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

If that rule is seriously being considered, a far better alternative imo goes back to little league roots. 

you can designate one player to return for the game after being taken out. so say Gary Sanchez hits a single, and then Ellsbury comes in to pinch run. After that half inning, Romine comes in to play defense, but Sanchez is eligible to pinch hit still later in that game.

idk, i feel like that'd be a better alternative than having three double switches

1533085612-U12230.png

#17 OFFLINE   AE.

AE.

Vottomatic

• Hall of Fame
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

If that rule is seriously being considered, a far better alternative imo goes back to little league roots. 

you can designate one player to return for the game after being taken out. so say Gary Sanchez hits a single, and then Ellsbury comes in to pinch run. After that half inning, Romine comes in to play defense, but Sanchez is eligible to pinch hit still later in that game.

idk, i feel like that'd be a better alternative than having three double switches

We're still speculating but I don't see the intent of this proposed rule change to have anything to do with defensive alignment.  The way I'm reading it, Managers would go to the umpire with their first three batters to begin an inning.  After those three batters, team falls back into where the lineup left off.  

Bigger question is what happens if one of your designated three gets on base, its time to fall back into the regular batting order, and that player on base naturally comes up to bat?  Would manager be able to pinch run for him and have him bat in his spot?  Would they be forced to pinch hit for him?

#18 OFFLINE   The Guid

The Guid

The Guid abides

• Hall of Fame
  • 24,874 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

I thought it to re-order the lineup? Like say you send 3,4,5 up again. Next batter is 6 and so on. Seems like that would avoid the sort of confusion you guys are discussing.

The other way just seems dumb and counter-intuitive. Then again, what do I know?

tumblr_inline_n7lv7oX45w1qbolbn.gif

#19 OFFLINE   AE.

AE.

Vottomatic

• Hall of Fame
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

I thought it to re-order the lineup? Like say you send 3,4,5 up again. Next batter is 6 and so on. Seems like that would avoid the sort of confusion you guys are discussing.

The other way just seems dumb and counter-intuitive. Then again, what do I know?

Could be that way. Again, I read it as any 3 batters in any order and then back to wherever natural lineup left off. I’m just thinking about the chess match of Ibanez-type power bat coming off bench when opponent sends out the lefty in the 9th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 13 user(s)

Mudge, catman, The Guid, Coach, Teagz, AE., bosoxlover12, brett05, Mexi, JZsportswhiz, Rios, BNC, CameronCrazy06

Social Media

Site Info