2009 Offseason Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
What would you do to your respective teams to improve them? What trades, signings, and roster moves would you make? And how they would get done?

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Ok this one is for you PM7:

This is a decent offseason plan without breaking the bank and putting the Mets in a good position this upcoming year. Ok first I want to address our needs which would be 1B, LF, C, and #2 SP.

According to Rosenthal, "some who know [Matt] Holliday say he would prefer not to play in New York." Also, his power to right-center makes him a poor fit for Citi Field. As a mets fan I don’t want someone who doesn’t want to be here. We all saw what happened with Delgado when he didn’t sign here and then we traded for him.

Ok lets start with 1B. I trade Bobby Parnell and Wilmer Flores to the Rays for Carlos Pena. Pena hit 39 HR’s last year and he is an outstanding defensive 1b which would be sufficient over his low BA. The Rays are looking to shed some payroll and they are more willing to trade Pena before they trade Crawford. Pena hit a HR btw when he came to Citi Field.

Next up is LF. I sign Mike Cameron. Cameron isn’t in the Brewers plans anymore after they traded for Carlos Gomez. Cameron is also one of those guys who can hit for power as shown with his 24 HR’s, he can handle NY cuz hes been here before, and he his great defensively where it is much needed in Citi Field. And he has already played with Beltran which would smooth out a transition.

Ok this one will be catcher. We all know that there isn’t much out there in terms of catchers. I sign C Yorvit Torrealba. He would be splitting time with Omir Santos so he would get approximately 300 AB’s and last year he hit .291 which is very good for a catcher. He also has that “clutch” type of game as seen by his recent playoff performances which we sorely lack. And finally if we breakdown his splits, he is actually a GREAT hitter against righties batting .318.

And finally #2 SP. Before I say who I would get, I want to say that pitchers will be more likely to come to Citi Field due to its pitcher friendly characteristics. Secondly, everyone knows that pitchers from the AL coming to the NL perform better in the NL. We have sorely lacked a #2 starting pitcher for a LONG time. Coincedentally, our greatest teams had great pitchers and that’s the primary reason why we won with Seaver, Koosman, Ryan, Gooden, Cone, and Darling.

Ok so I sign SP John Lackey. He would be a perfect compliment to Santana and he is best suited as a #2 pitcher. The Angels aren’t going to pay him what he wants. Lackey is known for speaking his mind and that would be a breath of fresh air for this clubhouse, kind of like what Lo Duca did in 2006. Its time we get a good rotation and it starts with signing Lackey.

Finally which is kind of a double move: I would sign Randy Wolf and put John Maine in the bullpen. Wolf is a very good LH pitcher who had a great year last year, he would like to pitch for the Mets, and if we want to compete in the NL East, we need to able to beat that lefty heavy Phillies lineup and Wolf would be that answer to stick it to his former team. As for Maine, I have been really frustrated with his injuries and I think that for now we can put him in the pen and if he shows improvement we can always put him back in the rotation out of necessity (Perez screws up next year).

To sum it all up these would be the big moves made in the offseason and you can fill in the reserves and other lesser roles as you may. Lackey would be the only truly expensive signing. Cameron, Torrealba and Wolf would be Type B FA’s and fairly cheap in this type of market.

Heres what the team would look like:
C-Santos/Torrealba 1B-Pena/Murphy 2B- Castillo SS- Reyes 3B-Wright RF-Francouer CF-Beltran LF-Cameron

#1 Santana #2 Lackey #3Wolf #4 Pelfrey #5 Perez

Closer-Frankie Setup-Putz (would take incentive contract) Middle Relief- Maine, Feliciano, Stokes Long Relief- Figueroa

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We need to call up Chris Carter. 'Nuff said.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Flores is a great start but I think Tampa is going to be looking for something a little more than Bobby Parnell to go with him, if they're going to give up Pena...he's about a 1/3 of their offense.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
Not sure if that would be enough to get Pena from the Rays.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Where to start on this disappointing end to the 2009 season lol

1. Jason Bay or Matt Holliday: Either one would do just fine, they just need to get a left fielder and, preferably, one that can hit.

2. Rich Harden: There is no team with a bigger hard-on for reclamation projects than ours and Harden is the best available. I've wanted him on my team since he was in Oakland. We have the starting rotation depth that, should he go down, we can fill his spot and we definitely have the resources to give him a nice, incentive-laden deal.

3. Jason Varitek: This one is pretty simple. Decline his $5 million player option and he'll accept his $3 million player option. For Tek, it's either this or retire.

4. Josh Beckett: Again, Theo's job is simple here. Extend him. Now, preferably.

5. Adrian Gonzalez: While, I'd love for it to happen, I'm not getting my hopes up. He's almost tailor-made for Fenway. The problem is his price. Contrary to the belief of some, Jed Hoyer going to San Diego should make this deal less likely to happen. He knows the prospects Theo doesn't want to give up and they are probably the ones that would need to be included in a deal. If anything goes down, my guess is it would be at the deadline with the Sox hoping that Lars Anderson has a bounce-back-borderline monster year in the minors. Look for it to take something like -- Reddick, Kelly, Anderson, Bowden (probably Buchholz), one of Doubront and Pimental, and maybe Kalish

6. Felix Hernandez: see A-Gon

7. I'm gonna smack the next person that complains about Jonathan Papelbon and rest of our bullpen. If someone smacks some sense into Papelbon and tells him to start using his other two pitches, then we're in good shape. On the rest of the 'pen, don't let a shaky end take away from how good this bullpen before then.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Indians:
1. Need a starting pitcher or two.. Lots of questions and "ifs" in our rotation. Jake Westbrook returning from injury, usually solid but coming off Tommy John surgery so not a sure thing. Fausto really needs to return to form, but again, a big if. Aaron Laffey will be in the rotation, he was solid last year, been good most of his career. Justin Masterson should get a spot and really no one else to take a spot, maybe David Huff but he was kind of meh last year. Hector Rondon is our top pitching prospect at the AAA level and he might be able to crack the rotation, Carlos Carrasco was pretty bad in his short time last year, he should be able to improve, might be able to make it but lots of ifs in the rotation.

I wouldn't mind picking up Jon Garland, and I wouldn't mind signing Carl Pavano again.

2. Bullpen

It shouldn't be a HUGE need anymore, but it's still a need. Chris Perez was solid for us before he got hurt really late in the season, was on a 20+ inning scoreless streak at a point and only 24. Kerry Wood was blah but he probably wasn't really ready at times since we rarely got the ball to him in save situations. He should have a bounce back year, but still a question mark. Tony Sipp was great out of the bullpen, shut down both Lefties and Righties. Also Joe Smith was great against righties out of the pen. We could use one or two decent bullpen pitchers.

Even though we were pittiful last year, most of it had to do with our pitching, if we get those needs addressed we should be able to compete for the division. Our hitting is arguably the best in the AL Central. The only question we have in the lineup is Catcher, which we are just holding down until Carlos Santana is ready to take over the reigns. Every spot is pretty much filled, weak point will be 2nd base but Luis Valbuena showed pop in his bat last season and with development could be a good offensive player. Defense is pretty good all around. Michael Brantley, Grady Sizemore and Shin Soo Choo all have good speed in the out field. Asdrual Cabrera is arguably the best defensive short stop in the AL, Valbuena was a good defensive 2B. Peralta is meh at defense, don't really know about LaPorta at first and catcher should be fine for defense with Shoppach/Marson, not so much for offense.

If we address our pitching needs and Fausto/Westbrook can return to form, we should put together a good season. AL Central is probably the weakest division in baseball and anyone can win any year.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
My plan for the Giants isn't that elaborative

1. RE-SIGN BRAD PENNY : Struggled in the AL, designated for assignment and chose the Giants over the Twins and Yankees for a reason...not because SF is a great city with a great pitching staff, its because its in the NL <_<. He was 4-1 with a 2.59 ERA in his return to the NL. Keep this guy at the #3 hole for at least this season. He'll demand maybe a 4M contract and the Giants really need to get it to him.

2. PURSUE A GOD DAMN BAT DAMMIT!!!: Come on this is getting ridiculous Sabean. The Giants are a pitching oriented team but by no means does that mean forget about the 8 fielding spots. With Fred Lewis, Randy Winn (leaving), Nate Schierholtz, and Aaron Rowand all blunt cruisin in the Struggle Kart, I think they should sign maybe 1 to 2 OFs that can hit. Marlon Byrd is underrated and can hit for good power. Jason Bay and Matt Holliday have an asking price that is out of this team's range so I think they need to go for players that aren't as big of names but can produce hits. Or just go all out and hope for a guy like Jermaine Dye or...VLAD GUERRERO O.O. On another note, Pablo doesn't need to be playing 3B, pick up a 3B and move Pablo to 1B. Juan Uribe might ask for more money than the Giants are willing to offer him but I'd like to see him re-signed. A guy like Chone Figgins would fit in nicely in SF. Who I really want is Adrian Beltre. Guy can flat out hit and would be a mainstay at 3B. Joe Crede also looks like a realistic option because of his connection with Aaron Rowand.

3. Catcher...: With Bengie Molina filing for free agency, the Giants don't really have much of an option here. He's one of the best catchers on the market so he wants some $$$. Buster Posey is going to be the catcher of the future, unless they sign another catcher that'll be with the team for a while and move Posey anywhere they want because he's just that versatile ;). Back to the topic, Posey isn't ready for the MLB just yet but he will be very soon. Just pick up a guy to hold his spot.

4. Bumgarner?: Is he going to be ready for next year? I don't know but I think he's ready right now but its not about what I think. He could be a good 4-5 guy in the rotation right off the back so maybe he could make the opening day roster. Its better than trying Joe Martinez or Kevin Pucetas...or worse...Ryan Sadowski...in the rotation

5. TRADE SANCHEZ FOR A BAT: Guy has untappable potential IMO. Trade this scrub while his value is still high for a good young bat.

I want the rotation for next season to be

Lincecum - Cain - Penny - Zito - Bumgarner

Ohhhh the fantasy

Benny21

Reaction score
1) Resign Timmy
2) Resign Penny
3) Resign Wilson

1) Trade JSanchez for a decent bat

1) Sign Adrian Beltre
2) Sign Jason Bay
3) Sign Juan Uribe (back)
4) Sign Joel Pineiro

1) Aaron Rowand - CF
2) FSanchez - 2b
3) Jason Bay - LF
4) Pablo - 1b
5) Adrian Beltre - 3b
6) Uribe - SS
7) Schierholtz - RF
8) MVPosey - C
9) Pitcher

1) Timmy
2) Zito
3) Cain
4) Pineiro
5) Penny

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What bat do you think you're going to get for Sanchez. Also, where is the money going to come from for Bay and Beltre?

Benny21

Reaction score
What bat do you think you're going to get for Sanchez. Also, where is the money going to come from for Bay and Beltre?
I believe we have 32M coming off the payroll this year, and we had one of the lowest % of income to payroll ratio's, so I expect our payroll to be around 96M this year (up 14M from last year)

I came up with 96 through some long ass equation i did on PSD the other day.
But yeah, we have a decent amount of money to spare.

And I don't think JSanchez will bring in a big bat by any means, just something. maybe a package deal?

It's wishful thinking damnit, let me right what I want.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I believe we have 32M coming off the payroll this year, and we had one of the lowest % of income to payroll ratio's, so I expect our payroll to be around 96M this year (up 14M from last year)

I came up with 96 through some long ass equation i did on PSD the other day.
But yeah, we have a decent amount of money to spare.

And I don't think JSanchez will bring in a big bat by any means, just something. maybe a package deal?

It's wishful thinking damnit, let me right what I want.
lol relax, you can wish...just realistically.

In all seriousness though, I really was curious because I don't know what the Giants can work with. So if Bay is going for 4/60M, at the very least, do the Giants have the money to sign him and other guys?

Benny21

Reaction score
lol relax, you can wish...just realistically.

In all seriousness though, I really was curious because I don't know what the Giants can work with. So if Bay is going for 4/60M, at the very least, do the Giants have the money to sign him and other guys?
Yeah, like I said, 32M off the books + 14M (I believe) coming up this year
so 46M

all our resignings for the first year will combine to be around 20M? so like 26M for FA's ?
I THINK I got this right, but don't quote me on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%