Wagner considering Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Billy Wagner might be leaning toward choosing retirement over closing games next season, according to a report in the New York Post.

On Sunday, Wagner pitched two-thirds of an inning for the Red Sox in Boston's 7-6 loss to the Angels in the decisive Game 3 of the American League Division Series. In the wake of that defeat, the veteran left-hander indicated that he plans to retire.

"Why wouldn't I?" Wagner told the newspaper. "I've got nothing else to [accomplish]."

Wagner's agent, Bean Stringfellow, told MLB.com on Tuesday that he hadn't heard about retirement plans from Wagner.

"He has given me no such indication. He and his family will sit down and discuss," Stringfellow wrote in a text message.

Wagner, 38, is 15 saves shy of becoming only the fifth player in Major League history to notch 400 for his career -- an exclusive list that includes Trevor Hoffman (591), Mariano Rivera (526), Lee Smith (478) and John Franco (424). Among left-handed pitchers, only Franco has more career saves than the 385 compiled by Wagner over 15 seasons.

Reaching 400 saves does not seem to be a priority for Wagner.

"That's just dust in the wind," he was quoted as saying.

This past season, following an 11-month recovery from Tommy John ligament-replacement surgery on his left elbow, Wagner posted a 1.72 ERA over 17 games between stints with the Mets and Red Sox. After being claimed off waivers by Boston in August, Wagne indicated an interest in pursuing a closer's role near his Virginia home for 2010, but he told the Post that he would not look for a job this offseason.
Wow... just shocked. I think he might be jumping the gun, and he's just putting the idea out there.

I really hope Billy sticks around one more year and gets to 400 saves. Then, go to your family Billy. I really just would hate to see him go through 11 month recovery of Tommy John Surgery just to step away.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I mean if dude doesn't think he can pitch well anymore, then why should he continue?

Best of luck with this Bill

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
according to the article from mlb.com, a lot has to do with spending time with his family.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also, he pitched very well in his 17 games this season so IDK if I'd use his last appearance (game 3 loss to the Angels) as him "not being able to pitch well".

qu4kePL

Reaction score
everyone has there time to retire, this may be his choice to.

either way he was a great pitcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%