Mock Draft 1.0

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is my first mock of the year - hate all you want, all comments are appreciated.

1.) Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn

Cam Newton can be a game changer – literally change the way the NFL looks at QBs. Some question marks, but it seems as though all of the guys seriously being considered #1 have that. DT is not a gamechanger, the Panthers can survive another year without one or pick up a big body later.
2.) Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

Marcell Dareus showed up at the combine weighing more than 30 pounds heavier than Fairley, and outperformed him in just about everything. Dareus is very versatile, and can be a force at the next level.
3.) Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

Eye opening pick, absolutely. The Bills could take Gabbert, but Fitzpatrick is adequate and there is a solid chance a QB will be available in the 2[sup]nd[/sup] round for them. The Bills have other needs, but they did last year as well – and they took the 'best player available' in CJ Spiller while they still had Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch. This may not be the most likely scenario, but I wanted to change things up from every other mock. Peterson is the best player in the draft, and the Bills could use a CB as well so I feel as though this isn't out of the realm of possibility.

4.) A.J Green, WR, Georgia

Carson Palmer is gone… Ocho Cinco is likely gone, same with TO. With Peterson off the board, the Bengals select the best WR prospect in a few years in AJ Green to retool that offense.
5.) Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Everyone is mocking this pick, because it's as close to a sure thing as there could be at this point in the process. Big need, big player, scouting ties… Miller is a Cardinal.
6.) Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

The Browns need an edge rusher in their new 4-3 defense. Bowers, if he can get his knee checked out, can return back to being a top pick. It was only a couple of weeks ago that Bowers was everyone's favorite to be picked #1.
7.) Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Jim Harbaugh has nothing tied to Alex Smith – and it's time for him [and Troy Smith] to be replaced. Harbaugh wanted Gabbert at Stanford, and Gabbert is the #2 [or #1] QB in the draft. New coach gets his guy to rebuild with.
8.) Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

The Titans have shown that they have no problem dealing with some headcases, and Fairley is fairly clean compared to some of the other guys they have brought in recently. Fairley has the talent to be a top pass rusher, and he can slide in at DT and form a scary pass rush for the Titans.
9.) Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

Prince is a great CB, and the Cowboys have a big need at CB. All Newman can do is run fast, and all Jenkins can do, is well… Allow catches and get plowed over while attempting to tackle. Amukamara is physical, fast, and overall just a great CB.
10.) Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

Another popular pick – and it makes sense. The Redskins, regardless of whether or not they trade for Kolb, need someone to catch the ball with Moss getting old and Armstrong not really being very good. Snyder is the kind of guy who will be very impressed with Jones' combine, and at #10 it isn't a bad pick either.
11.) Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina

In their new 3-4 defense, the Texans need to revamp a bunch of things. Is Mario's talent being wasted at DE in the new system? Only time will tell… But if they want a chance to be successful with their new scheme, they need an edge rusher – and Robert Quinn was one of the best.
12.) Tyron Smith, OT, USC

Tyron Smith at the combine helped himself more than most people think. You hear about Julio Jones and Dareus going off, but Smith's measurable helped him just as much. He has freakisly long arms, and to most people's surprise he weighed in at over 300 pounds. He played RT for USC with Kalil manning LT, but Smith can step in and play either tackle spot. Maybe he will play RT for the first year, before moving McKinnie over – either way I think he's the pick.
13. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

This may be a reach, but I feel that this might be the year that Detroit gets smart and takes an LT. Solder is a bit raw, but he can be coached up into being a force at LT – and we all know Stafford could use some protection. I've seen many mocks giving the Lions a d-lineman here, but I think they are better off helping a weak position than boosting a strong position.
14.) Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

Aldon Smith is an athletic freak coming off the edge and attacking the passer. He might be the guy that Spags likes to put his defensive line over the top after his years with the Giants. DT is a bigger need, but Smith is too good of a value to let drop.
15.) Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

Ronnie and Rickie are both at the end of their contracts, and quite frankly are pretty poor RBs anyway. The Dolphins, when healthy, have a good OL and can use a 3 down back like Ingram.
16.) JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin

The Jaguars could take a QB, but I think that if they take a QB it will be with them either trading down or acquiring a later pick in this round. JJ Watt has slipped a bit, and the guy is just a workhorse and can be very good opposite of Kampman, and next to a very young and very stout DT duo.
17.) Cameron Jordan, DE, California

Cameron Jordan is a top talent at DT and DE and can be a force at the 5 technique in the Pats 3-4 system, as they try and shore up their defense.
18.) Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

Another pick that might surprise people. Lately, Ayers has been complimented for his pass rushing abilities being his top quality, and the Chargers could use someone opposite of Shaun Phillips since Larry English has flopped since being taken in the 1[sup]st[/sup]. Plus, the Chargers took him when they still had Merriman and Phillips playing together, so they haven't shyed away from taking a good player even with talent on the roster.
19.) Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

The Giants could use an LT so they move Diehl back to guard and shuffle their o-line to best suit their talents. Costanzo is the best OT available at this point.
20.) Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

Adrian Clayborn has the potential to be as good as any DE in the draft, he has just scared some teams away with an off season – but with their DTs shored up in the first two rounds last year, the Bucs can use an edge rusher.
21.) Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor

Scott Pioli needs his NT, well… Here he is. Not much else to it.
22.) Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Gabe Carimi is just a tough rock at LT. He is also versatile, which can help him go above the remaining OTs. Peyton can use a blindside protector as he is getting a bit older.
23.) Derrick Sherod, OT, Miss St.

Mike Vick took a bunch of hits last year – time to protect their new big investment. Sherod is as good as any OT in this range.
24.) Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

Kerrigan took a bit of a fall in this mock, and is gladly eaten up by the Saints who could use some help on their d-line. He is one of the best players available, and he fills a need. Home run pick for New Orleans.
25.) Jake Locker, QB, Washington

While the Seahawks could use a CB for their poor defense, Jake Locker is too good of a pick here. Staying with the local product, the Seahawks are picking up a guy who can lead their franchise back to being contenders in a few years with some help – and I don't mean 7-9 contenders, either because that was a complete fluke.

26) Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

Jimmy Smith has fallen a bit because of some character issues… Do you think Ray Lewis and Ed Reed can help him out with that? The Ravens haven't had a good CB [unless you count Josh Wilson/Chris Carr, which I don't] since the days of Chris McAllister and Samari Rolle. Smith has all the talent, and the Ravens have the leadership for him to overcome any 'issues' he may have. If Ray Lewis can kill a guy or two, then I'm sure Smith will be just fine for the Ravens.

27.) Justin Houston, DE, Georgia

Justin Houston is HUGE and athletic – he can really make an impact at the next level; especially playing opposite of John Abraham. The Falcons secondary isn't the best even with Robinson/Grimes, but a good pass rush can always mask that – and their pass rush has been pretty poor lately.

28.) Brooks Reed, DE/LB, Arizona

Brooks Reed had a sick combine, and has jumped up the boards. He is a hard worker, and can be the edge rusher the Pats need rather than relying on some lucky seasons from guys like Tully Banta-Cain.
29.) Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

Staying in state, the Bears pick up their replacement for Tommie Harris. They could go with an OL, but to me it seems as though the remaining prospects are all big reaches, while Liuget provides great value as he has fallen a bit.
30.) Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State

Heyward, once a top pick, had a bit of an upsetting season. Still, he is a super talent and can provide very good pressure without sending in too many extra bodies like Rex has had to do with Danny Devito manning a DE spot last season. Heyward and Shaun Ellis make a great duo at DE, and Heyward can eventually replace Ellis if the Jets can't retain him or he just gets too old.
31.) Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida

I swear I didn't do this on purpose. This Pouncey is overrated because of name, and it just so happened that he slipped to the team his brother is on… And they could use some more help protecting Big Ben. Having both Pounceys will really help the production of both guys, and I'm sure they were happy with their selection of the pro bowler last year.
32.) Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pitt

Baldwin has the size and talent to be an elite WR, but like everyone being taken at this point he has some question marks. The Packers wouldn't need him to step in right away, but James Jones could be leaving and Jordy Nelson isn't that great either. Maybe Donald Driver will leave or decline soon, and Baldwin can step in as a great threat opposite of Greg Jennings.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The formatting fucked up, so I don't have the team images like I wanted. I'll fix it at some point with names, but most descriptions have the team name there - and I didn't do trades.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've seen a few mocks with Liuget to the Bears, and I gotta say... I'd like that.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
We're not taking a DE with the 1st round pick.

Jags spent the whole draft last year at the DE/DT position. Its a deep draft, we'll get somebody in a later round.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I have Ponder still on the board, if the Jags want a QB like I said they can take one by trading into the back end of the 1st or in the 2nd round. I liked Watt at that position, and I think taking a DE is a good move because Kampman has had yet another surgery, who knows how long he'll hold up. I don't think they'll take Kerrigan like many people are mocking, but if someone falls to them like Watt I can definitely see it.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
I have Ponder still on the board, if the Jags want a QB like I said they can take one by trading into the back end of the 1st or in the 2nd round. I liked Watt at that position, and I think taking a DE is a good move because Kampman has had yet another surgery, who knows how long he'll hold up. I don't think they'll take Kerrigan like many people are mocking, but if someone falls to them like Watt I can definitely see it.
Why would we take Watt? Hes not that good, very overrated. Gene Smith likes to take players who have College Production as well as character.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's not that he isn't good, Watt just doesn't fit what the Jags are trying to do on defense. Watt will be a very good 5-tech in the league though, imo.

If they were going DE, I'd see them taking Jordan without question ahead of Watt.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
JJ Watt doesn't have production or character? He has a good history in the big 10, and the stats don't jump out at you because he's a DE/DT who does a lot of dirty work.

Mooche

Reaction score
I like Carimi to the Colts. I'd be satisfied with Carimi or Sherrod with the Colts selection.

Get that formatting fixed. ;)

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
JJ Watt doesn't have production or character? He has a good history in the big 10, and the stats don't jump out at you because he's a DE/DT who does a lot of dirty work.
Tyson Alualu was a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DT and had better stats.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Alualu also played in a weaker conference, and I think that accounts for the difference... Listen, if you pinpoint every little thing in this draft a month away from the real one I am sure I'll be wrong on more than just a few... This is just the way I have it currently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%