Blazers want to add defensive center

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Neil Olshey is targeting a draft day trade in which the Portland Trail Blazers absorb the contract of a proven, defensive center in exchange for one or more draft picks.

"We are going to be aggressive to construct a deal to make the team better on draft night," Olshey said.

Anderson Varejao has been mentioned as a possible target of the Blazers, who want to upgrade at center from J.J. Hickson.
The Blazers could use most of their expected $11.6 million in cap space to execute the trade.

"If there is a player under contract that we can absorb into our room on a team that values a draft pick more than the established player, or they are moving in a different direction and it moves us forward faster, it's clearly what we are going to do," Olshey said.

Via Jason Quick/Oregonian

Right now they'd have a top 10 pick, that may be a good trade chip to land a good center.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
These guys just gotta add some depth first and foremost. They are too talented to not compete for a playoff spot. Aldridge, Batum, Matthews and a second year Lillard. They should make some noise next year. 

Andy would be nice.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Noise as in playoff berth or WCF?

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Eh, WCF is gonna be hard with Thunder, Nuggets, Grizzlies and Spurs around. But at least a playoff berth and maybe homecourt within two years.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think that teams kind of stuck in the middle.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Maybe. 
They're currently the third youngest team in the NBA though and have someone that could easily develop into a top 5 PG. I don't know, I have high hopes for them, always liked 'em.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
theyre going to need to go the 04 pistons route and hope that core can just get it done one year because theyre in the middle. its nice to not be in the lottery every year but they wont be winning too many playoff series'.

as for the trade, id think they can get more than andy for cap space and that pick. maybe i just dont want cleveland with more money and another lottery pick.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Varejao got traded to the Blazers, he might spontaneously blow up.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
buzzy said:
Maybe. 
They're currently the third youngest team in the NBA though and have someone that could easily develop into a top 5 PG. I don't know, I have high hopes for them, always liked 'em.

They're probably one of those perennial playoff teams that won't ever advance.

Here's my post from a few weeks back:

I think the Blazers have a couple of alright pieces, but they will never be a team that will compete for home court in the playoffs. They don't have any perennial all-stars, Aldridge is a fringe All-Star but he seems to be moving down the latter while other guys move up, I wouldn't even say he's as good as Chris Bosh, he's just not the force you need at that position. I mean he's good, but if he's going to win a title it's going to have to be next to a LeBron James/Kobe Bryant type player where he's the 2nd or 3rd option (think Pau Gasol, and I'm still not sure he's as good as Pau was). Batum may have one good season like Josh Howard and sneak in as a 12th man, but he isn't a All-Star caliber player. Damian Lillard is a guy that will be in the conversation, but will probably be left looking in more times than not. I just don't really see a great foundation, game changer, or franchise changer.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Is Meyers Leonard really that shitty? 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He only averaged 0.5 shots blocked per game as the starting center.  That's kind of surprising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%