Orioles sign RP Kevin Gregg

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
The Orioles agreed to sign Kevin Gregg to a two-year, $10MM deal with an option, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (all Twitter links). The agreement is pending a physical. Beverly Hills Sports Council represents the right-hander.

Gregg saved 37 games for the Blue Jays in 2010. The 32-year-old posted 8.8 K/9 and 4.6 BB/9 along with a 3.51 ERA. Koji Uehara, another candidate to close for Buck Showalter, posted a miniscule 1.0 BB/9 to go along with 11.3 K/9 in 2010.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/orioles-agree-to-sign-kevin-gregg.html

Buck and the Orioles stackin on some nice free agents. They're definitely turning in a nice direction.

tbuc

Reaction score
With Alfredo Simon's situation, the O's did a nice job added a setup man to replace him. And a better player at that.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well at least we have another draft pick in our hands which AA loves lol. Uehara (sp) and Gregg will most likely fight for that closing job. I don't think he was that bad as a closer last year but he's inconsistent as hell.

tbuc

Reaction score
Well at least we have another draft pick in our hands which AA loves lol. Uehara (sp) and Gregg will most likely fight for that closing job. I don't think he was that bad as a closer last year but he's inconsistent as hell.
Uehara is staying in the pen and will probably battle with Gregg for the closer spot.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one thing the Jays bullpen lacked, they weren't consistent. Especially Gregg lol. He's easily overpaid in this deal though. I'm glad AA was smart to let him go to another team.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Who knew all it took for the Orioles to actually put some wins together was Buck Showalter. Mans making changes and turning this team around. Gregg may not be all that consistent, but he's a nice addition for them.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Who knew all it took for the Orioles to actually put some wins together was Buck Showalter. Mans making changes and turning this team around. Gregg may not be all that consistent, but he's a nice addition for them.
5m for a reliever like Gregg is ridiculous. He is overpayed. I'd much rather pay Scott Downs 5m and I'm not even sure about that. Relievers aren't supposed to make that much unless they're THAT good. I don't think Gregg is going to perform like the Orioles want him too.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
It's a good signing though. The Orioles needed help in the bullpen and Gregg was one of the best relievers available. There's no salary cap (no I'm not saying just blindly throw money at people), but paying a guy who has saved at least 23 games in the past 4 years for 5 million dollars is not a bad signing.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's a good signing though. The Orioles needed help in the bullpen and Gregg was one of the best relievers available. There's no salary cap (no I'm not saying just blindly throw money at people), but paying a guy who has saved at least 23 games in the past 4 years for 5 million dollars is not a bad signing.
Getting saves isn't that hard. I swear you can pitch 1 pitch and get a save. The Orioles aren't going to compete. They should let their young guys play or at least sign someone else. The Orioles aren't a big market team. His ERA isn't good enough for 5 mill either. He's inconsistent as heck.

tbuc

Reaction score
5m for a reliever like Gregg is ridiculous. He is overpayed. I'd much rather pay Scott Downs 5m and I'm not even sure about that. Relievers aren't supposed to make that much unless they're THAT good. I don't think Gregg is going to perform like the Orioles want him too.
Yes Gregg is over paid, but they needed major help in the pen and they had the money. Scott Downs is easily worth $5M. He's one of the best setup men in baseball.

Getting saves isn't that hard. I swear you can pitch 1 pitch and get a save. The Orioles aren't going to compete. They should let their young guys play or at least sign someone else. The Orioles aren't a big market team. His ERA isn't good enough for 5 mill either. He's inconsistent as heck.
I think your missing the point. You can go out and get a one pitch save, but thats not what they're going to use Gregg for. Your closer is the most reliable arm in your pen. He's the guy you call on in any situation late in the game and in some outings, he's expected not to give up a hit. Gregg is getting $5M a year because that could be his role, while Downs is the setup man. He won't be getting called on in those situations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%