Report: Lions may part ways with Calvin Johnson, likely to keep Stafford

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Report: Lions may part ways with Calvin Johnson, likely to keep Stafford

The word out of Detroit is that Calvin Johnson may be more likely to be departing the Lions organization than Matthew Stafford.

The Lions' organizational housecleaning may involve Calvin Johnson, according to a new report.

In ESPN’s Six Points, Chris Mortensen says that the Lions may part ways with Johnson as part of a restructuring of the roster. He even says that Johnson may be more likely to move on than Matthew Stafford is.

Mortensen reasons that the star receiver is expensive, will be 31 next year, and has dealt with a number of injuries recently, and his on-field performance has diminished some as a result. He believes the Lions could dump Johnson, take the $8 million cap hit, and pursue someone like Alshon Jeffrey in free agency.

Mortensen calls the recent speculation surrounding Stafford “laughable,” citing a poll of seven NFL coaches and personnel men who unanimously felt that getting rid of Stafford would be foolish. He is still only 27, and with no obvious upgrades coming in free agency or the draft, Mortensen reasons the Lions should keep him, despite recent reports that the quarterback may not be back with the Lions in 2016.

Mortensen doesn’t rule out the Lions keeping both, but given cap restraints and recent mismanagement, he believes if anyone goes, it should be Johnson.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i would understand if we trade him but if he goes, i want stafford to go too

Bengals1Fan

Reaction score
I had a feeling he might move by the trade deadline tbh so this isn't really a surprise to me. No great NFL Team has won with one star reciever and no other pieces. Golden Tate has played terribly this year so he's essentially all the Lions have. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%