Stephen Strasburg Shut Down For The Season

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
"Nationals Manager Davey Johnson informed Stephen Strasburg this morning he will not pitch again this season, ending the ace's season after 159 1/3 innings with 24 games remaining and the Nationals leading by 6 1/2 games in the National League East.

Johnson believed Strasburg had become distracted by the immense media coverage of the innings limit the Nationals imposed as he pitches his first full season following Tommy John surgery. The Nationals had planned to let Strasburg make one more start on Wednesday in New York. But after Strasburg allowed the Miami Marlins five runs in three innings Friday night, Johnson made the decision to end his season now instead.

"The media hype on this things has been unbelievable," Johnson said. "I feel it's as hard for him as it would be anybody to get mentally, totally committed in the ballgame. And he's reached his innings limit. So we can get past this and talk about other things for a chance."
Johnson said Strasburg was "emotional" about the decision.

"I know he's been struggling with it for weeks," Johnson said. "I know he doesn't sleep good thinking about it. Shoot, I've heard so much advice from every ex-pitcher, every guru on the matter."
Johnson sensed "from the first pitch" Friday night that Strasburg was out of sorts because of the shutdown hanging over his head. Johnson consulted this morning with General Manager Mike Rizzo and pitching coach Steve McCatty and finalized his decision.

"My job is to do what's best for the player," Johnson said. "This is what's best.""

Source: Washington Post

Lake Louise

Reaction score
The whole taking him out because he wasn't mentally into it. Well, that's your own doing Nationals. YOU are the ones that gave him an innings limit, and yes the media talked about it a lot, but each time he went out there he knew it was nearing the end of his season. How should a player react to go out there and think to himself "One start closer to my season ending, and my team will still be playing, but I can't." It'd be hard to focus on your game. Nationals will believe this was the right thing to do, and that's fine, but don't go thinking it'll help you capture a World Series, because I don't see that happening without Strasburg. Be hard for any team to win a WS, or even get there, without their ace.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
they should have went about this in a way different way. hopefully it pays of for him in the future and doesnt hurt their chances as much now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%