Rutgers fires Coach Matt Rice after video of practices air

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rutgers fired Mike Rice, the coach of its mens basketball team, on Wednesday, a day after a video surfaced showing him berating his players during practices, throwing balls at them, kicking them and taunting them with slurs.

Rices termination comes nearly four months after the universitys athletic director, Tim Pernetti, suspended him for three games and fined him $50,000, with little elaboration. On Wednesday, Pernetti called that decision a mistake and said that he would work to regain the trust of the Rutgers community.

Rutgers announced Rices termination on its Twitter account Wednesday morning, saying, Based upon recently revealed information and a review of previously discovered issues, Rutgers has terminated the contract of Mike Rice.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/sports/ncaabasketball/rutgers-fires-basketball-coach-after-video-surfaces.html?_r=0

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And here's a story by ESPN:

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Should have been fired immediately after the higher ups were made aware of it.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
exactly. theyre lucky a player didnt fight back. in one of the clips you can see her hit a player in the nuts with the basketball.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Papa Pugz said:
exactly. theyre lucky a player didnt fight back. in one of the clips you can see her hit a player in the nuts with the basketball.

I've been watching some more of the videos and in some of them the players go after the coaches but the other players break it up pretty quick.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
well they just stand up to them. ive seen some where the players like puff their chests out but back down. screw that, the coach who get a beatdown. no way shape or form could one of those players be held responsible either.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They probably didn't want to lose their scholarships.  I assume that's why nobody retaliated, or informed anyone of his behavior.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Hurricane said:
They probably didn't want to lose their scholarships.  I assume that's why nobody retaliated, or informed anyone of his behavior.

I agree with this. I love the fact that the Rutgers AD fired him after it was made public, pathetic....

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
they wouldve been able to take it to court. no way would they have been held reliable after all of this.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
I've been watching some more of the videos and in some of them the players go after the coaches but the other players break it up pretty quick.

wow. 

And some of the players are saying in interviews they never wanted to retaliate and they're defending the guy. they're clearly full of shit. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Giantmetfan07 said:
wow. 

And some of the players are saying in interviews they never wanted to retaliate and they're defending the guy. they're clearly full of shit. 

I saw that.  Something about "we understood what he was doing."

Conroy

Reaction score
nolafan33 said:

I saw that.  Something about "we understood what he was doing."
I know this is an old topic but I just recently read an article and apparently he was coaching his daughters aau team and a few days after he was fired he was doing similar screaming and cussing at players and refs and all the parents backed him up then too saying things like "he's doing what's best for the girls" how does this psycho get people to defend him

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What the fuck, dude must be able to get into peoples heads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%