What Does Enes Kanter Need to Do to be NBA Ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is something that has come to my attention lately with the recent news that coaches for the Jazz don't think he's ready to contribute right away. After thinking about how I'd write this article, I believe I'm ready to give it a shot. I'll try to break down what parts of Kanter's game needs work, and what parts are above average for players his age. With that being said, let's get to work!

Offensively

Offensively this kid has a bright future. Already understanding how to play with his back to the basket, he just has a few things to work on in his post game. First, he needs to be strong, and quick with his moves. I've watched some videos of him on Youtube to get ready for this article, and what I saw concerned me a bit. He got the ball quite a bit, and when he did, he was either going to his move quick, but weak, or trying to figure out what he was going to do, and was too late when he finally did make his move.

Kanter has more than just a post-up game in his game. While he's not the strongest shooter, he can hit the mid-range jumper, although he needs to work on that part of his game as well. If he could just focus on the shot rather than seemingly having the mindset of shooting to not miss rather than just visualizing the ball going through the net when he shoots, he'd be so much better off. He's hesitant to shoot the jumper, even though he's more than capable to shoot it.

Overall his offensive game is highly talented, but raw. Given a couple more years of work, I expect him to be a very good offensive post player. I don't ever see him being able to step outside the arc, but with hard work he does have a nice touch, so it's at least possible.

Defensively

I don't like his defensive game at all. For a 6'11" big man, with a 7'1.5" wingspan, he just doesn't get enough blocks for my liking. Sure, he can change some shots, but a guy with a body like that in the NBA needs to be able to step up and block some shots for his team. He's athletic enough on defense to do it, so it's just a matter of him taking things into his own hands and doing the work to get better.

One thing that I do like on defense is his post defense. When a defender has his back to the bucket, Kanter just does not give the opponent position. At 260 pounds, he normally has a weight advantage, and just bumps opposing posts out of their spot, and makes them face the bucket and try to make a move from there.

Overall defensively I like Kanter's game, but he does have quite a bit to work on. He needs to work on his timing for blocked shots, his help and recovery, and also needs to work on his defensive vision. If he gets that down, he could turn into a great defensive post.

Overall Breakdown

Overall it's true what his coaches say. Kanter isn't ready to come into the league and be a big contributor this season. He's a work in progress, but a work that if he gets where his potential lies, could be a future star big man in this league. The offense is there, and his defense shows promise, but he just has to fine-tune his game to the NBA level. Once he does that he's going to be something special.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading this article, and I hope it helped learn you on Kanter's game. If you have more comments to add, or a different opinion, I'd love to hear it. Always open to discussion on my articles. Thank again for reading, and hopefully replying!

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Very good and interesting article.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Kanter needs to work on his awareness down in the post. Whenever he gets the ball on the block he's always thinking score first. That's alright sometimes, but when teams start bringing an extra man to help on him he gets in bad spots and normally ends up making a mistake, either forcing a shot that he shouldn't or turning the ball over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%